Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   What should I buy? Scion tC or Honda EX SE (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/208018-what-should-i-buy-scion-tc-honda-ex-se.html)

need2gofast 04-17-2005 08:43 AM

What should I buy? Scion tC or Honda EX SE

Today I spent hours testing out a new scion tC and also a new Honda EX SE.
Unfortunetly I didn't get to test out the tC in the transmission I wanted to (5-speed).
Also didn't get to whip the tC around corners and stuff.
Both cars are terrific.

Any help or opinions are greatly apprecitated.
In my opinion the basic pros and cons are:

Scion tC Pro
Looks Awsome
Sunroof
Steering Wheel
4 Wheel disc
Rims
Spoiler
Audio Sound
Powerful Engine
Scion tC Con
Cheap Silver looking Interior
Cheap CD Player Tray
Engine Sound at idle*
Headliner not black

Honda Civic EX SE Pro
Looks Cool
5-speed shifting was very nice
Steering felt really soild and tight
Engine feels nice strong
Takes bumps and corrners good
Proven quility
high resale value
Honda Civic EX SE Con
Basic but not cheap Interior
Engine Sound at idle*
Drum Brakes
Headliner not black

*I have a 4cyl s-10 and it doesnt seem to have this pinging tiny sound both of these cars have. Maybe I need to get used to it or its something else.

ACURAwerx 04-17-2005 09:09 AM

scion and honda are both good cars, however since i have a civic now, i would probably go with the scion if i was picking just to mix things up. It also depends on what you want to do with the car.. ect.. If you want to make it fast without swapping, go with the scion

blackbullet 04-17-2005 11:02 AM

TC They're really nice.

Wolfgang5884 04-17-2005 11:11 AM

I say Honda due to their ability to retain their value

Civic_Moogles 04-17-2005 11:16 AM

i would say a honda, they retain their value a lot better :moon:

gearbox 04-17-2005 11:17 AM

Tc it's faster. I don't know about civic engine sound, because I can barely hear mine unless I put my ear to the hood. But the SE isn't really that special. Has alot of junk throw on like different rims, stereo, etc but not really worth it.

QBoi 04-17-2005 11:43 AM

Add this to your list of tC's cons: Terrible Gas mileage and 3000 pounds

Both are very safe, reliable cars. They should be able to retain their value well also, since its Toyota and Honda. The tCs value hasn't been released yet until next year, but it should be good in depreciation rates.

Tc is faster by a small bit, and it has a lot more potential then a civic. The SE is very expensive. If you want a civic, wait until the fall when the next generation gets here.

QBoi 04-17-2005 11:44 AM

By the way, what is a headliner?

gearbox 04-17-2005 11:48 AM

the stuff that is on the ceiling, from inside the car that covers the metal.

Al Gore FTW 04-17-2005 11:58 AM

i know its not one of the options, but i would go with a civic ex, non special edition. as gearbox said, they just throw a bunch of stuff on the ex for the special edition, and in turn jack up the price.

i love my civic, gets awesome milage (average 37 in town), it will hold its value and very reliable.

after i got my civic and got used to it i was thinking it was nothing special, and i became interested with the tc. but then i found this site, where the people are really helpful, and you can learn to fix everything on your car.

the tc is an awesome car though, especially for the price. if i were to choose again, i would buy a civic. my civic so far has been good, and im going to be buying hondas for a long time.

Al Gore FTW 04-17-2005 11:59 AM

and if you "need2gofast" like your name says, i would get a civic and swap or turbo, or swap and turbo.

civic01vtec 04-17-2005 12:07 PM

depends on what you want from your car. TC is obvisously i little faster and it is very nice looking. Honda has better gas mileage and is very reliable. Insurance on the civic will prolly be a little better. Honda also has a huge market for parts.

SilverSivic02 04-17-2005 12:31 PM

Not to jack the thread but I am almost the same dillemma: 2004 RSX-S or 2005 Scion TC?

The Civic got into a fender bender and know I am looking into a new car. I will really miss it but it is time for me to move on. You guys have been a great help and like my extended family. So what should I do? Stay in the Honda/Acura family or move over to Toyota? A few dealers around here still have brand new 04' RSX-S, but I can probably get a better deal on a TC because A family friend is one of the big boys for Toyota South Florida.

gearbox 04-17-2005 12:39 PM

rsx-s no contest

my05civic24 04-17-2005 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSivic02
Not to jack the thread but I am almost the same dillemma: 2004 RSX-S or 2005 Scion TC?

The Civic got into a fender bender and know I am looking into a new car. I will really miss it but it is time for me to move on. You guys have been a great help and like my extended family. So what should I do? Stay in the Honda/Acura family or move over to Toyota? A few dealers around here still have brand new 04' RSX-S, but I can probably get a better deal on a TC because A family friend is one of the big boys for Toyota South Florida.

Well that's something u should rethink yourself.. The 04 type S is 200HP and the 05 Scion TC is only 160HP. Which one do u want. I would go with the Type S. It's all on you tho.

vietstylez 04-17-2005 12:50 PM

i would get the scion, MUCH more potential

ragingSPAM 04-17-2005 01:43 PM

back in 94-95 the civic coupe special edition came with disc brakes in the rear

04trinicivic 04-17-2005 03:02 PM

Look Bro The Tc Looks Hot and it Gives u 160hp But Y Not Wait Till Like November And Get The New 06 Si Coupe Stock it Comes With 200hp, An Oem Body Kit, Brembo Brakes Kit & Cross Drilled Rotors....I Think Is Starting @ 17 or 18,500

shmik1 04-17-2005 03:06 PM

I'd wait for the new Si :tup:

I might even consdier the current Si over a tC, I dunno tho I'd have to test drive.

RSX-S, as said before... wtf? why would u even consider a tC if you could get an RSX-S

SilvrCiv 04-17-2005 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by silver04
i know its not one of the options, but i would go with a civic ex, non special edition. as gearbox said, they just throw a bunch of stuff on the ex for the special edition, and in turn jack up the price.

i love my civic, gets awesome milage (average 37 in town), it will hold its value and very reliable.

after i got my civic and got used to it i was thinking it was nothing special, and i became interested with the tc. but then i found this site, where the people are really helpful, and you can learn to fix everything on your car.

the tc is an awesome car though, especially for the price. if i were to choose again, i would buy a civic. my civic so far has been good, and im going to be buying hondas for a long time.

Where you say "this site" would u be talking about 7thgencivicor a different site..if a different one what is it

gearbox 04-17-2005 04:02 PM

Aaron if you rode in Paul's SI (I think he's up to 160 whp+ range) you would want one. :)

orion_squall 04-17-2005 04:17 PM

Scion...

because you already had a Civic before, it is good to have some change in life :)

besides, Scion is not a crap that we don't ever want to experience.

gearbox 04-17-2005 04:22 PM

yea it's not like you're buying a NEON

ZodCivik 04-17-2005 05:28 PM

This also depends if youre in south cali... If u are, most likely itll take months to get that perfect tc that u want. Ive searched and called about 20 something dealerships and i couldnt find one in the colors i wanted in 5 spd. So if u dont wanna wait at least a month, get the civic.

JP375 04-17-2005 05:35 PM

The scion is hot, now doubt, but I hate the interior. It looks really cheap and "plastiky". I'm a big Honda fan, but I have to admit, currently the civic is quite outdated in terms of styling and performance. Hopefully the next model will put it back out in front. If you can wait for an 06 civic do that. Otherwise I guess I would go witht the scion. Didn't the test drive give you an feeling about which way to go?

zen_master 04-17-2005 06:03 PM

prolly wanna consider next year's tC?

Al Gore FTW 04-17-2005 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSivic02

rsx-s hands down. :rockon:

Originally Posted by SilvrCiv
Where you say "this site" would u be talking about 7thgencivicor a different site..if a different one what is it

im talkin about 7thgencivic.com :tup:

CivicsRdBest 04-17-2005 07:02 PM

I'd recommend a Civic because it gets great gas-mileage, has decent performance, and they come with a lot of great features.

The Tc however is what I'd recommend if you want that performance edge. Although it is a little heavier because it has a lot of sound deadening material.

-sic*n3s- 04-17-2005 08:20 PM

Scion tc con-> heavy as hell. You can feel the engine stressing if you push it alittle
Scion tc pro-> you can get it up in the 300's of hp with a turbo. :hgrin:

SilverSivic02 04-17-2005 08:28 PM

Well my mind is maDE UP. Dealer will get me the new 04 RSX-S for $21500. I just spoke to her and she told me the asking price. WOOOOOT.