Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   trading in my civic.. couple a questions.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/200724-trading-my-civic-couple-questions.html)

Neptune 03-05-2005 03:48 PM

trading in my civic.. couple a questions..

Hey all!
I got a beautiful 01 Lx automatic civic coupe with 30,000miles.

I love everything about it, except i wish it was a manual.

I just decided to try to trade it in.
I want pretty much the same exact car, but with a manual tranny.

Do you think any dealerships would be willing to do a straight swap since im technically downgrading to a manual? also since i have such low mileage on a 01 civic..
what do you think?
:)

HondaGuy12 03-05-2005 03:54 PM

Yeah but they will try to sell you a new car..... but just try to get a used one for a straight up trade..good luck..

QBoi 03-05-2005 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Neptune
Hey all!
I got a beautiful 01 Lx automatic civic coupe with 30,000miles.

I love everything about it, except i wish it was a manual.

I just decided to try to trade it in.
I want pretty much the same exact car, but with a manual tranny.

Do you think any dealerships would be willing to do a straight swap since im technically downgrading to a manual? also since i have such low mileage on a 01 civic..
what do you think?
:)

Maybe, but you might take a loss actually. Because an 01 with only 30k miles is hard to find. You most likely will find an 02 with that much, and the dealer might charge you extra. If you are lucky, you might get out of it for a clean swap.

JP375 03-05-2005 04:33 PM

Uh, yeah. I'd be careful on this one. Not many 01's are going to have only 30,000 miles. You could easily be the one getting screwed on a direct trade. Be careful and good luck.

Neptune 03-05-2005 04:38 PM

Well i dont mind picking up one that has a little more milage if its in good condition
and i would be willing to get an 02 if i only had to pay a little extra.
i just really want to get a manual and its not worth it to try to swap the tranny out.

also my coupe has side molding, which is a bonus (maybe)

xX03EXx 03-05-2005 05:40 PM

This is interesting. I never really thought about trading a car for the exact same one. You just have to pay tax which is going to suck.

Neptune 03-05-2005 06:02 PM

well im gonna go run down to the dealership and see what they think..

one thing thats f*cked up is how when i check the trade in on my vehicle its like only 8-9k, but when i look at buying the same exact car, but Manual, its like 13k... wtf is up with that

QBoi 03-05-2005 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Neptune
well im gonna go run down to the dealership and see what they think..

one thing thats f*cked up is how when i check the trade in on my vehicle its like only 8-9k, but when i look at buying the same exact car, but Manual, its like 13k... wtf is up with that

because trade in values are lower then private sale, duh.

Neptune 03-05-2005 06:57 PM

Well i just got back from the dealership and it was a waste of time!

the dude was instantly less helpfull when he found out i wanted to buy a 01 civic again instead of a new one.
and he said " well when we buy your car it will be at wholesale price, and when we sell you a car we sell it at retail price"
wtf, they would be the ones getting the better deal if we just did a straight trade, but they wanna be charging me a shitload extra... b.s.

i think i might just try to sell my car privately, put an add in the paper or somthin were i would get a better deal.

Neptune 03-05-2005 09:39 PM

meh :hithead:

i suppose i should just love my civic for what it is :sweet:
next car i get will be a manual fo sho :rockon: but i guess ill just cherrish this one since its all i got :tup:

01SSM 03-05-2005 10:02 PM

And still some people are stupid enough to trade their vehicle in when they will only receive "Wholesale" price for it. I'm glad that you are not one of them.

I would much rather sell it locally. As you can see at www.KBB.com it is worth much more if you sell it privately.

03HondaCivicEX 03-05-2005 10:13 PM

i was gonna sell mine to get a coupe manual (now I have sedan auto.) but the dealership always seems dumb about it. yeah if you want to get rid of it then sell it locally w/ an ad in the paper or something. you'd get more for your money and then you can go buy the other one you want.

Neptune 03-06-2005 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 01SSM
And still some people are stupid enough to trade their vehicle in when they will only receive "Wholesale" price for it. I'm glad that you are not one of them.

I would much rather sell it locally. As you can see at www.KBB.com it is worth much more if you sell it privately.

Yea once i realized how bad the dealers screw u over, i said "fVck it"
and i think im just gonna go ahead and keep my car afterall..

though i would love a manual, this has been my first new car and i love her. and some of the stuff i did to her is kinda one of a kind, so i pretty sure i woudl get screwed by the trade no matter what.

oh well my next car *six years down the road :hithead: * will definatly be a manual :sweet: