Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Some turbo and insurance questions (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/198688-some-turbo-insurance-questions.html)

2K1Civic17"Gabe 02-21-2005 12:29 PM

Some turbo and insurance questions

More insurance question. How many of you let the insurance company know that you are boosted? Is there a chance they would drop coverage if i tell them that? I have farmers I believe. I can pay a little more monthly to be on the safe side if I get jacked. Since we have or had the #1 stolen civic rate in the country. Im a little worried something will happen.

I ordered my TSI kit last week, and its being shipped today from Cali. So in one or two days it should be here. Im excited!! Just curious about the insurance.

Thank you very much

Chris

PoorCollegeBoy 02-21-2005 12:38 PM

Congrats on the purchase Chris. I would suggest not telling insurance, and getting yourself a nice security system, and maybe some hood locks. Just my opinion though because my insurance is all ready through the roof...

stl01civic 02-21-2005 12:39 PM

my insurance company does not know i am boosted. i think if they know they will raised my perimun.

Boilermaker1 02-21-2005 12:43 PM

Well the gamble is that you don't crash the front end and no one hits your front end either. If its boosted and you wreck the IC system or worse, and they don't know, they're not going to cover it because its not aftermarket replacement for any OE part (usually they'll cover those with proof of purchase (like rims)).

2K1Civic17"Gabe 02-21-2005 12:44 PM

I wonder how much it would be raised, thats what I really want to know. Maybe I can call and try to find out without telling them its gonna happen. I wonder if they may even CANCEL the insurance on me if I do tell them. I have heard of modded cars not being able to find insurance from most places or being canceled when they told of their mods. They feel you are much more a risk so they dont want to cover you anymore.

Im not sure. I probably wont tell them. My car is garaged every night, and I usually park where I and everybody else can see.

If anybody told their insurance, let me know. Thanks

2K1Civic17"Gabe 02-21-2005 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Well the gamble is that you don't crash the front end and no one hits your front end either. If its boosted and you wreck the IC system or worse, and they don't know, they're not going to cover it because its not aftermarket replacement for any OE part (usually they'll cover those with proof of purchase (like rims)).

I keep receipts from everything expensive I buy. Little 10-100 dollar mods I usually dont. I am worried about wrecking the IC, turbo, manifold, etc, everything in the front end. Getting into a front end accident is a million times more likely than getting jacked. WOuld you tell insurance of a turbo? I need a bunch of opinions. Ill talk to my dad about it as well. He can probably call his client thats also our agent and find out.

Im just waiting a little while til its all installed to even tell him about it. Or when he sees an IC and pipes running in the front of my car.

EternalBlue_Vic 02-21-2005 03:21 PM

I have not claimed my turbo, nor am i. My insurance is already pretty high. Wrecked front end= trashed intercooler and some plumbing. Replace with a johnny racecar IC ($200) and ur set vs paying increased premiums over time.

Boilermaker1 02-21-2005 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
I wonder how much it would be raised, thats what I really want to know. Maybe I can call and try to find out without telling them its gonna happen. I wonder if they may even CANCEL the insurance on me if I do tell them. I have heard of modded cars not being able to find insurance from most places or being canceled when they told of their mods. They feel you are much more a risk so they dont want to cover you anymore.

Im not sure. I probably wont tell them. My car is garaged every night, and I usually park where I and everybody else can see.

If anybody told their insurance, let me know. Thanks

What I would do is call everyone else but my own company and find out what it would cost. Or call Progressive and get quotes for the top 3 competitors as well. I suppose the real problem is them finding out that the car has a turbo on it and not telling them. I know a couple companies didn't initially know what to do with the WRX in terms of rates when it showed up, and were charging 2.5RS rates. Once they figured out it was a turbo AWD car, they raised the rates and some even charged back fees for what they didn't get initially. I think the risk would be getting dropped for not telling them. A guy who races in my region had his Z06 totalled by some idiot who blew through a median turn lane and went up the siderail of the trailer the car was on. The car was in full race trim, decals and slicks, insurance dropped him instantly for racing the car and not telling them, and the accident was in no way his fault.
The worry wouldn't be trashing parts as much as it would be getting dropped and not having any of the damage paid for. Chances are they'll also pull the arguement that the intercooler caused the AC condenser and radiator damage as well, etc..... and blame as much as they want on you. Any accident that got back far enough as to damage the turbo itself would probably total the car as well, I wouldn't worry too much to that extent. I wouldn't know how much the rates would go up... call around a little. If it was me, well, I wouldn't have a turbo... but if I were to swap the engine, I'd insure it. This is one place where I don't know if the SEMA rules help you.... anyone know? I'm curious about that. You're entitled to do what you want with your car and be defended from the dealer, what about insurance?

2K1Civic17"Gabe 02-21-2005 03:44 PM

I heard about that one company, that will insure any racecar. I went to the site a while ago, but that would be more money than what Im paying now. There are 5 cars on the policy. Before when I got jacked, they said anything attached to the car is insured, but they couldnt cover my stereo. I wonder if turbo would be included as anything attached.

I have a feeling they may drop me just for asking. Places have been known to do that. Pretty stupid, if ya ask me. Just make them pay what it will cover to cost the damage. I will probably call progresive and ask them. Good idea, thanks a lot!!!