Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   My Civic Vs. 05 RSX-S (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/194223-my-civic-vs-05-rsx-s.html)

2002SilverEx 01-27-2005 12:52 PM

My Civic Vs. 05 RSX-S

Hey guys, if you didn't already know, I have a 2002 civic turbo for sale. If I can't get enough for the car, I am going to put some more money into the engine, mabye lighten it up a bit, and start racing. I have never brought this car to the track, and barely raced anyone, becuase by the time everything was installed last year, I had to put it up for the winter, so I dont know how fast it is. But I can tell you I have a 02 ex 1.7 vtec. I have the tsi extreme kit with greddy profec b spec II. Boost is set at 9psi. The only other performance mods are plugs and synapse missing link. I have fairly light wheels, but by far not the lightest.

My question is.... If I sell mine I will most likely end up buying a 2005 rsx-s. If you didnt know, they new ones have some of the ITR components (intake mani, cams...ect) so the 05 is running 210 hp, up 10 hp from the 04's. What I am wondering is how my civic will compare to this car performance wise.

If I were to keep my civic put a better exhaust, pulleys, flywheel, clutch, and lighten up a tad, how would I run against a stock 05 type s.

Of course I will mod the 05 type s beyond belief eventually. But I want to know how my ride will run with a stock 05 type s.

Thanks for the help guys!

Civic_RedLine 01-27-2005 01:10 PM

your car will beat the 04's no problem. as for the 05s i rarely see those. either way if the type-s was modded to the same level, youd probably have no chance.
i would get the type-s if i were you.

the better part is that it has better bhp meaning you get more hp when you mod it in the end than you would with a civic. hope that helped =/

aznboysrfr 01-27-2005 01:13 PM

6 speed transmissions are fun!

2002SilverEx 01-27-2005 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. But the thing is, when I get my 05 s, I won't have money right off to mod the engine. I will have enough money to put wheels on it and lower it a little bit (which is first priority). So I probably wont have the funs to mod right off and even when I do, I will only do I/H/E and hondata. So what I am saying is, I dont want to go from my car to a stock type s and have it be slower than my civic until I can mod.
I was just wondering how my car would be performance wise comapred to a STOCK type s 2005.

aznboysrfr 01-27-2005 02:10 PM

hondata isn't compatible with 05+ models yet ...

turbos are too much maintenance :(

flotsamm 01-27-2005 02:27 PM

How do you pass SMOG testing with a turbo?

2002SilverEx 01-27-2005 02:34 PM

I know that hondata hasn't come out for the 05's yet, but you and I both know they will very soon.. probably within the next 6 months. I don't pass smog test with my turbo setup. But I have a friend that works at a inspection place, so I have no problems. The only thing I would have to do to pass smog is add a cat ($100)

doubledeuce2k2 01-27-2005 02:40 PM

you aren't gonna be that much slower. k20z is not a go kart motor or anything. but i think it would lose to a civic @ 9lbs. however you'll be on the road longer, and cheaper, than that same civic.

y.0. KiLLa 01-27-2005 02:40 PM

keep the civic and work on it some more..it will be a sleeper and people will be amazed when they see a crazy ass civic. also if u sell it, u wil lose alot of money. i would keep it. :rtfm:

HorrorSkopes 01-27-2005 03:08 PM

you could always build up your civic, but there's something about owning a new car, and building that up... plus it's the o5 type-s, i say go for it :hgrin:

scatman 01-27-2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by HorrorSkopes
you could always build up your civic, but there's something about owning a new car, and building that up... plus it's the o5 type-s, i say go for it :hgrin:

+1 :tup:

2002SilverEx 01-27-2005 03:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Well, my car is going to go on ebay saturday for a 10-day list. If I get a resonable price for it...I will let it go and start the new k20z1 project :giggle:
And if it doesnt sell...I will have one hell of a sleeper grocery getter this summer :sweet:

GuliziaN 01-27-2005 04:58 PM

Either way you can't go wron IMHO. The Type-S is a damn fine vehicle, but your Civic is already ahead of the game with turbo+... Either way I love both choices.

S2000man01 01-27-2005 06:55 PM

moving to member rides talk

fearedfxmichael 01-27-2005 08:42 PM

think about this 6 speed are more more than 5 speed one more race gear is always more fun

Ramones 01-27-2005 08:49 PM

i say you keep your vic as a daily driver (if you could afford both) and keep the RSX as a weekend car.

I never really liked the 02-04's but the new 05+ remind me of the DC2 integras for some reason. Good luck with the auction and have fun with the RSX (when you get it :D)

gearbox 01-27-2005 08:51 PM

turbo civic will own the rsx-s

DaPipeLayer 01-28-2005 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
turbo civic will own the rsx-s

Until you mod the RSX-S. Just to remind you, insurance on the Civic is a lot cheaper than the RSX-S. Also, the 05 is faster than the 02-04s which is what I have, but not by much. Here is the big difference between the two when it comes to mods. If you go turbo on the RSX, your gonna want the 02-04 because the gears are longer which is better for turbo. The 05 has the final drive of the Type-R which is why the 05 can accelerate faster from a dig because the gears are shorter. When you're up in the high end, the 02-04 actually starts coming back because the gearing is longer, but depending how bad you get beat from a dig, you may not come back to close.

Its almost like the S2000s. The newer ones are faster from a dig because of more power and I think the gearing is a little different but the older ones are faster in the high end. Seriously though, I would just keep your Civic. Your already ahead of the game because you have turbo and its cheaper to maintain and mod your car. You can also save more money by keeping your Civic for a little longer and buy a much more expensive and faster car like an STI, EVO, G35, 350z, BMW M3, etc. Like other people have said, you would have a very nice sleeper and punk people. :2pimp:

2002SilverEx 01-28-2005 09:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the replies. To the guy with the rsx-s, I know quite a bit about the 02-04 rsx'x but the 05 I know is different. I dont care abut the differences in the suspension and body. But I do care about the differences they made to the engine. I searched a lot on clubrsx but some people said different stuff.

If you dont mind, could you elaborate a little more about the diffeences the 05 has to the prior years.

My palans for the 05s is either #1 i/rh/e hondata #4 (when it comes out)
or #2 intake/rh/e/k-pro/JR SC
or #3 I/rh/E/k-pro/nitrous
or #4 K/pro + turbo

Now if you dont mind, with one of these four choices I decide, would the 04 be better than the 05 for thses four setups, or is the 05 going to be better than the 04 with these setups?

Thanks for the help!

MY01HX 01-28-2005 09:48 AM

Well I would keep the vic. People don't give this car any respect. When it is tuned right turbo d17 or k20 swap, it's freakin nasty! But I tell you this much about the RSX, I work for Acura and it will not be around much longer! So enjoy the dying breed. Just kidding the RSX is a great car. But it will be leaving!

acjones21 01-28-2005 11:04 AM

a guy that I know has an 05 RSX-s and he has already misshifted the thing 4 or 5 times because of 6th gear. I say blow em both and get something RWD

DaPipeLayer 01-28-2005 11:25 AM

Differences between mine and the 05s:
New gauges
Better stock suspension
Type R final drive
Type R cams
Better flowing intake manifold
Better leather seats
Blacked out headlights
Much better looking stock rims
Less road noise

N/A, the 05 is defintely faster than the 02-04s. With CAI, the 02-04 can only get like 14.7 at best, usually 14.8 with average driver. 05 with CAI can get 14.7 with average driver and keep it consistent.(SP) With turbo, I can't really say how fast the 05 will be because the gearing is a little shorter which doesn't let you stay in full boost for that long. With tuning, it still should be able to surpass the 02-04s. Overall, the 05 is faster in the turns and straight line, but it won't be by that much.

The ONLY problem with the 05 is that Hondata hasn't been able to crack the ECU yet. They put an 04 ECU in the 05 with Hondata #4 I believe and they saw waaaay better gains than what the 02-04 engine can produce. Oh yea, its also FWD still, lol. One more thing, I wish they would of put HIDs in the 05s. :(

2002SilverEx 01-28-2005 11:36 AM

So basically, the cams make the 05 engine a little stronger than the 04?

DaPipeLayer 01-28-2005 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2002SilverEx
So basically, the cams make the 05 engine a little stronger than the 04?

Until they crack the ECU, pretty much. The cams are from the type-r which are a lot more aggressive than the 02-04s. Oh, the exhaust is also a little more tuned, so changing the exhaust won't do much like on the 02-04s unless you are making some serious power. I/H/E/#4 or KPRO and with lots of practice on launching, you should be in the very high 13s. The 02-04s can hit very high 13s also with that combo, but its just a lot easier with the 05s and more consistent.

2002SilverEx 01-28-2005 12:20 PM

Well my second choice of new car is a new sti. The only thing stopping me from getting the sti is the price. I can get a brand new 2004 sti for 27,000 out the door... (i know a crazy deal) the thing is my dealer around here cant sell it, cuz not so many people have any money, so they are letting it go at a ridculous price.
The sti stock 1/4 mile is 13.3 all day long.

The money it is going to cost me to get the rsx-s to that point is probably going to be over 27,000 (including the initial price of the rsx).

So i dont know, i cant make up my mind.

Im not sure how much it would cost me to get the 05 rsx-s into 13.3 territory, but I am sure it will be nothing under $4,000

HorrorSkopes 01-28-2005 02:54 PM

how about a wrx or even an evo RS.

Farage 01-28-2005 03:07 PM

i say go for the rsx-s and go all motor. i duno about the 05 but on the 02-04, a DC CAI, DC catback and JR race header added about 19 hp over stock at the wheels. thats some crazy gains. add to that a reflash, tranny components, pullies and maybe even light internals and you will be in the mid 13's. i duno about you, but thats fast enough for me and it will much more reliable than a blower or turbo.

2002SilverEx 01-31-2005 11:25 AM

Becuase the 05 rsx-s has the final drive ratio of the Integra Type R, wont that make is faster top end. my friend has a 01 itr with i/e and i know hes done 160mph in it.