Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Got stuck today (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/188355-got-stuck-today.html)

dan_has_a_civic 12-19-2004 03:52 PM

Got stuck today

I live in vermont I have studded snow tires and usually get around with very little trouble. I was going to my aunts house which is about 15 miles away all goes well traveling on the snow covered dirt roads until her driveway. I went there yesterday and it was completly covered in snow and ice so i backed in a little so i was off the road. Her driveway is a pretty steep pitch. So today i tried backing in and my rear wheels got lifted off the ground because there was to much snow. I tried to dig out and slowly move forward but even at 1000 rpms in first gear i would spin my tires which got me really pissed off. I eventually called my brother and he brought his truck and towed me out.

mexinaction 12-19-2004 03:54 PM

dats why i am glad we dont have snow here in south cali or in miami, dont have to worry about snow tires or getting stuck in snow

dan_has_a_civic 12-19-2004 03:55 PM

ah it's not to bad, rallying around snow covered dirt roads is amazing i love it

mexinaction 12-19-2004 03:59 PM

its snowed once here in south cali aka 29 palms, and i didnt even try to drive

it snowed in the morning and by 3 pm it was all cleared, there were a couple of accidents including someone who got killed after being in a 5 car pile-up

Farage 12-19-2004 04:19 PM

i love snow in moderation. it really is fun to drive in snow. i hate it for the fact that the damn salt eats my paint and ruins the rims. i also hate it because 85% of people don't know how to drive in snow conditions. we are supposed to get a few inches tomorrow and hopefully alot more in january.

dan_has_a_civic 12-19-2004 04:26 PM

yeah i hate the Mass people and new york people who come up to vermont and drive either very slow or reckless because they cant drive worth beans. And about the salt we have both salt and sand and i hate it when it isnt very bad out and they do that I'll drive by the snow plow and get so many damn paint chips or cracks in my windows because of the salt or sand damn them

againifall 12-19-2004 04:39 PM

autos are great in snow.. when you get stuck you just put it in gear.. hope out and push.. it will drive itself out.. just be damn sure you have yer doors unlocked or you are all sorts of screwed.... .. yeah i know.. not the smartest thing you can do.. but it works..

i love driving in snow

Blahman2 12-19-2004 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Farage
i love snow in moderation. it really is fun to drive in snow. i hate it for the fact that the damn salt eats my paint and ruins the rims. i also hate it because 85% of people don't know how to drive in snow conditions. we are supposed to get a few inches tomorrow and hopefully alot more in january.

you'll be getting that alot sooner then tomorrow.... I live in NEPA and we're getting slammed right now! :help:

ImPulse 12-19-2004 05:23 PM

nah, its raining a lot now... no snow :)

fuledya 12-19-2004 06:20 PM

where in VT you live, Im from St. Johnsbury.

dan_has_a_civic 12-19-2004 10:43 PM

Do you know Fayston, Mad River Glen Ski Area or Sugarbush

diskreet 12-19-2004 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dan_has_a_civic
ah it's not to bad, rallying around snow covered dirt roads is amazing i love it

but you can't rally in a civic without ending up in a ditch. our cars are OK in snow, but nothing extraordinary.
then again i used 2nd gear (auto) all day today to give more control and the ebrake to induce sliding around (in an empty well lit parking lot for 30 seconds)

radish127 12-19-2004 10:56 PM

It seems that I transferred out of UVM at a good time. I was suprised to find a lack of snow in Vermont between late November to now. Isn't this an unusually warm winter for Vermont?

dan_has_a_civic 12-20-2004 12:09 AM

yeah
but it is gonna get a lot worse
why did you transfer out of uvm

dan_has_a_civic 12-20-2004 12:10 AM

you most certainly can rally with a civic i was doing it today maybe one day i'll take a picture of the road it is mad crazy

diskreet 12-20-2004 08:07 AM

if you are going to do this please make sure no one else is on the road to hit!

armieo 12-20-2004 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mexinaction
dats why i am glad we dont have snow here in south cali or in miami, dont have to worry about snow tires or getting stuck in snow

Just about every time there is talk of snow up North in these forums, someone from Cali, Texas, or Florida ALWAYS has to tell the world that they are happy they live there and that it doesn't snow down there. (Within the first five posts.)

It's like... We're supposed to say "Hmmm REALLY? It doesn't snow down South? Thanks for telling me! I would never have known because I was just born yesterday."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGG

Fourth Post

Originally Posted by alex053
i dont know what this "snow" is that you speak of

Second Post

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Arizona has no snow either, much cheaper than those places, but Id love to move to Cali. Never driven my car in snow, only 4wd or SUVs Glad you didnt crash though. Somebody else posted about a guy getting into his lane, and he swerved and hit a focus. Nobody was around,a nd the cop didnt make him pay or nothing though. Damn glad I dont live in snow

Fifth Post

Originally Posted by masarak
I've only seen pictures of snow. One day out of the year it rains ice and all the schools close, then it's 80 degrees the next day--that's about it.

Third Post

Originally Posted by EnProceso
nope, winter in nor cal just means an inch of rain here and there.

Second Post

Originally Posted by Veritas
what is all that white stuff?

Second Post

Originally Posted by FALKEN
whats all that white stuff??

Need I go on?

civic01vtec 12-20-2004 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by armieo
Just about every time there is talk of snow up North in these forums, someone from Cali, Texas, or Florida ALWAYS has to tell the world that they are happy they live there and that it doesn't snow down there. (Within the first five posts.)

It's like... We're supposed to say "Hmmm REALLY? It doesn't snow down South? Thanks for telling me! I would never have known because I was just born yesterday."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGG

Fourth Post

Second Post

Fifth Post

Third Post

Second Post

Second Post

Need I go on?

hahahhahaa...........so true :rofl:

abmerop18 12-20-2004 10:27 AM

^ haha those bastards :shake:

Gangsta Dave 12-20-2004 10:37 AM

he he I live in HOUSTON... sucker... ha ha ha grew up in Rhode Island so I know how you feeling.

Gangsta Dave 12-20-2004 10:37 AM

oh and we don't care about you getting stuck in snow... so don't tell us how your bro had to pull you out... booooooooooorrrrrrrrrring

radish127 12-20-2004 11:41 AM

yeah
but it is gonna get a lot worse
why did you transfer out of uvm

I transferred out because of the lack of internships in the technology field. It's easier for me to get an internship in the Raleigh/Durham (RTP) area.

dan_has_a_civic 12-20-2004 12:03 PM

ah cool
what did you think of the area

dan_has_a_civic 12-20-2004 12:04 PM

n.houstinpimp is a little angry

Keet 12-20-2004 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by diskreet
but you can't rally in a civic without ending up in a ditch. our cars are OK in snow, but nothing extraordinary.
then again i used 2nd gear (auto) all day today to give more control and the ebrake to induce sliding around (in an empty well lit parking lot for 30 seconds)

There's no shame in having some safe winter driving fun. Ever since the first snow fall I've been doing crazy parking lot spins, and then some hairpin U-Turns that couldn't be done in summer. I think it's important to push your limits and test your driving ability.

Well, this time I really did it. Just yesterday I finally got what I deserved and put her in the ditch sideways... e-brake turn off the highway, the turn itself was perfect but I slid sideways too much, whups! Must have looked really awesome and too bad my camera wasn't with me. I'm so lucky, no damage, I missed the metal drainage pipe by only a few feet, and had to crawl out the passenger side. My neighbor (bless him) pulled me out with his pickup in 10 seconds flat. I told my sister and later she drove by and just laughed at the Civic-shaped impression I left in the snow. That teaches me, I'll be more careful.

So yeah, go ahead and drive insane but make sure no one other cars are around and there's no immediate steep drops.

Gangsta Dave 12-20-2004 01:05 PM

n.houstinpimp is a little angry

I'm just kidding :hgrin: