Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   D17 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/178733-d17.html)

VashtheStampede 10-17-2004 10:35 AM

D17

My engine block says I have a D17Y under the hood. How good is this engine and where should I start on modifying it? I wanted to work on the appearance first, but I miss having axhaust like I did on my Accord.

gearbox 10-17-2004 10:44 AM

every mod you get will only be for sound. There is no performance mod that will give power except turbo. Just go for looks.

Mischieflts 10-17-2004 10:48 AM

"every mod you get will only be for sound. There is no performance mod that will give power except turbo. Just go for looks."

false. false false, and false again. there are a fair share of performance enhancing mods for civics, its just if you want to pay for them.. turbo isnt the only magical source for power to an engine, gearbox..

a d17 is considerably upgradeable... with one thing.....

PLENTY OF CASH!!!!!!

the d17 model engine does not peticularly like small bolt-on's for some odd reason. If you went in-depth and had plenty of cash, We could discuss turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, forged pistons and all that good stuff. But the real question here is, How much do you have to spend? Because more than likely, you will be wasting your money on small after-items like AirIntake, Exhaust, headers. those things should generally be reserved for cars that already have a nice amount of horsepower. its a nice topper offer. but when you go to the civic and start throwing intake, exhaust, rims and shit on there, you are gonna be puzzled as to why the car sounds cooler, but why it goes slower.

if you are just looking for asthetic appeal, you picked the right car. civics have countless, endless combinations of interiors, sound systems, body kits, etc. they are extremely popular because asthetically, they are very custom-friendly cars. you can do endless things to it.

It's just that, when you're talking about the engine itself (D17) It does have potential, But what potential it does have is only unleashed if you have the equal amount of time, effort and cash to support it.

exclusive_vtec 10-17-2004 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by VashtheStampede
My engine block says I have a D17Y under the hood. How good is this engine and where should I start on modifying it? I wanted to work on the appearance first, but I miss having axhaust like I did on my Accord.

ok i suggest... u start workin on apearance... unless ur willin to spend big bucks :2pimp: on a turbo or a swap cause bolt-ons wont get u anywhere

acurastype01 10-17-2004 10:53 AM

yeah turbo that motha ****a

robbclark1 10-17-2004 11:03 AM

I know I will get bashed for this, but all you have to do is read the forum and use the search feature. Everyone is gonna spit different opinions, so just read all you can.

WannaBFast 10-17-2004 11:15 AM

the d17y is the hx i belive.. which will have hte lean burn vtec-e... hmmm

nindoo 10-17-2004 11:24 AM

I have a situation maybe you could help me out.

For me Turbo is not the way I want to go, and swap is very expensive.

What could I do to my D17A2 For $3000 USD. My requirements are significant power increase(30-45 hp) and an engine that is atleast as reliable as the engine(long lasting) in stock form. Is there any options for someone like me?

robbclark1 10-17-2004 11:29 AM

You won't get 30-45hp for 3k. you could do headwork (~600-1000), cam regrind, remove AC/PS, lightweight pulley, a good I/H/E, for maybe 3k. That will get you about 20hp if you are lucky. You could also gut your car to lighten it. That will free up some dead weight.

civicdude 10-17-2004 11:37 AM

moving to members rides talk

Nitto 10-17-2004 12:03 PM

buy a k20 :)

snowboreddave 10-17-2004 12:13 PM

Nitrous!! you could buy a bomb ass nitrous kit (50-75 shot), new clutch and flywheel and some good tires.. youll be ready to roll!

FuzzBeC00L 10-17-2004 12:41 PM

Mischieflts don't help the guy.. Bro just get a turbo or like nitto said k20 you will be happy with those

JX6 10-17-2004 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mischieflts
the d17 model engine does not peticularly like small bolt-on's for some odd reason. If you went in-depth and had plenty of cash, We could discuss turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, forged pistons and all that good stuff. .

Last time I checked,there is no supercharger for a d17.Also it isn't worth getting bolt ons for a d17 powered car.The d17 is for fuel economy and emissions! People waste money on bolt ons while they could save up for a k20 swap...or boost. I have to agree with gearbox on this one. boltons = noise

FuzzBeC00L 10-17-2004 01:54 PM

If you want bolt-on's wait till you find them cheap like me **** payin 350 for a intake

wrussi 10-18-2004 12:17 PM

put nitrous. not too much though... a 50 or 55 shot with everything else stock will give u lke 50+ hp im getting mine this spring for 800 installed

incubus7d 10-18-2004 01:03 PM

just turbo

Mischieflts 10-18-2004 02:56 PM

"Last time I checked,there is no supercharger for a d17".

-not yet

"Also it isn't worth getting bolt ons for a d17 powered car."

-didnt i just say that d17's dont peticularly like small bolt- on's?

"The d17 is for fuel economy and emissions!"

-no shit? the entire civic line, let alone the d17 model car was designed around the idea of having a fuel efficient car with low emissions and an 'okay' share of standard equipment.

ZodCivik 10-18-2004 03:42 PM

Well u said that we could make the civic faster if we had cash, and it seems like u arent thinkin of turbo, so what do u got in mind?

C Orndorff 10-18-2004 03:49 PM

Turbo or swap is the best way to get power. But i don't know about turboing a HX motor, when VTEC hits on that it closes a intake valve.

WhiteCastle 10-18-2004 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by VashtheStampede

yes you see where it says d17, now pull that out!!!!
okie good
look online see k20, k24....
purchase that and drop it into your bay. than read us the numbers again and ask us questions!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nahh check out F.I forums that will help you

joe6680 10-18-2004 04:06 PM

"every mod you get will only be for sound. There is no performance mod that will give power except turbo. Just go for looks."

false. false false, and false again. there are a fair share of performance enhancing mods for civics, its just if you want to pay for them.. turbo isnt the only magical source for power to an engine, gearbox..

PLENTY OF CASH!!!!!!

the d17 model engine does not peticularly like small bolt-on's for some odd reason. If you went in-depth and had plenty of cash, We could discuss turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, forged pistons and all that good stuff. But the real question here is, How much do you have to spend? Because more than likely, you will be wasting your money on small after-items like AirIntake, Exhaust, headers. those things should generally be reserved for cars that already have a nice amount of horsepower. its a nice topper offer. but when you go to the civic and start throwing intake, exhaust, rims and shit on there, you are gonna be puzzled as to why the car sounds cooler, but why it goes slower.

if you are just looking for asthetic appeal, you picked the right car. civics have countless, endless combinations of interiors, sound systems, body kits, etc. they are extremely popular because asthetically, they are very custom-friendly cars. you can do endless things to it.

It's just that, when you're talking about the engine itself (D17) It does have potential, But what potential it does have is only unleashed if you have the equal amount of time, effort and cash to support it.

What the hell??? Gearbox said that not a lot of mods will add that much power just sound, and that the best way to get a lot of power is to add a turbo. Then you say that that is false false false...and then go into detail about how the d17 is very upgradeable if you have the money, followed by discussing adding a turbo/supercharger or doing a swap. So the best way to upgrade the d17 is to swap it??? I dunno doesnt make sense to me. I'd have to agree with gearbox. The d17 doesnt respond well to the small add ons most will either increase sound or lose low end power. Thats just the simple nature of our engine.

MORG655 10-18-2004 04:21 PM

PLENTY OF CASH!!!!!!

If you went in-depth and had plenty of cash, We could discuss turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, forged pistons and all that good stuff.

You said that turbo being the only thing to really increase performance was false false false for the d17. Then you start talking about engine swapping if you have the cash. Then you talk about turbo. Oh and forged pistons (this one doesn't really count in my speech here). If he did a System Swap he wouldn't exactly have a d17 anymore. If he turboed, it wouldn't be false false false. Supercharger? Someone makes one for this car? Hmm...I'd have to check that out. I don't plan on getting my car to be any faster, personally. If I were going to spend 20 grand on engine swaps, turboes, super chargers, nitrous just to get to 2 something horsepower, I would just save that cash and go out and buy a car with 2 something horsepower. Or 3 something. I like the way my car looks and that's what I build on.
Everyone knows Civics are slow by stock. I know I wasn't too surprised when I got mine.

JX6 10-19-2004 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe6680
What the hell??? Gearbox said that not a lot of mods will add that much power just sound, and that the best way to get a lot of power is to add a turbo. Then you say that that is false false false...and then go into detail about how the d17 is very upgradeable if you have the money, followed by discussing adding a turbo/supercharger or doing a swap. So the best way to upgrade the d17 is to swap it??? I dunno doesnt make sense to me. I'd have to agree with gearbox. The d17 doesnt respond well to the small add ons most will either increase sound or lose low end power. Thats just the simple nature of our engine.

go easy on him.
he doesn't know what he's talking about.

TeLLy 10-19-2004 08:02 AM

Supercharger - doesn't exist, and even JR doesn't wanna make one
Turbo - a few kits out there of varying quality, $2000+ I think
Nitrous - cheap and easy...a little TOO cheap and easy IMO
Upgraded internals - expensive, small (but documented) gains; availability of things like cams, pistons, etc is simply not there for the D17 engine
Swap - even more expensive and time consuming, but definitely a huge jump in horsepower (almost double going to K20A or A2)
Exhaust, intake, header - simply shifts the powerband around, you're trading torque for high-end. All for sound IMO

Mischieflts 10-19-2004 07:21 PM

rofl, watch who you are saying doesent know what they are talking about.

i never said that a supercharger existed. i said we could discuss it, because some people actually have the balls to fabricate one from the ground up. i shouldnt have even mentioned that i doubt anyone has that money or skill to throw around.
by the way, gearbox ACTUALLY said (if you pay attention)

yea, its false moron. what kind of idiot thinks that the only power enhancing mod is a turbocharger? its kind of ironic that he said "every mod you get will only be for sound" but then says that a turbocharger mod is the only thing in the entire universe that will give you power. so does that mean turbos are specifically for sound? i knew it... the sound gives you hp!!!!

oh and when i said "the d17 model engine does not peticularly like small bolt-on's for some odd reason. If you went in-depth and had plenty of cash, We could discuss turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, forged pistons and all that good stuff."

ok maybe i should explain it this way for the idiots: I SAY if you went in depth and had plenty of cash, you have the options to do an engine swap, or turbo/supercharge your pre-existing d17 and. just a few of the many examples to make a 7th gen faster.

gearbox 10-19-2004 07:43 PM

Please don't take everything so literally. I was lazy and didn't feel like trying a whole paragraph to explain everything. I've done that more times than I can count already. Boltons give a few whp, there happy? Turbo is the only cost effective way to gain a larger amount of power on our cars, unless you spend 6K+ on internals.

NashVegasEX 10-19-2004 08:17 PM

don't forget an $800 nitrous setup that will give you equal power and torque as most standard turbo kits ... Thats the kit, purge, pressure guage, and warmer ... Check the NX site for their project car ... Thats a 01 EX with a standard 50 shot and the above mentioned parts that put out 170 hp and I THINK just about 200ft/lbs of torque ... Thats cheap power ....

ps - I think the project car dynoed at 110 b4 gas - thats with exhaust and intake only ...

zachgeyer 10-19-2004 09:52 PM

d17=weak

WhiteCastle 10-19-2004 10:03 PM

I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
buy a new or a used car thats better! :rofl:
dodge srt-4 used 17 grand with low low mileage 230hp
shit trade in your vic and its cheaper than a swap and faster!
20 grand sell vic invest ten grand loan etc rsx type-S 210hp again cheaper than swap and modifications
looking for power cheaply out of a civic= there is none buy a new car!!!!