Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   My soon-to-be suspension setup -- opinions appreciated (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications/86641-my-soon-suspension-setup-opinions-appreciated.html)

tekgnosis 04-08-2003 11:38 AM

My soon-to-be suspension setup -- opinions appreciated

Hey guys

Ok, I don't have all these parts yet (only missing two), but how does this sound for a starter suspension setup? I'm worried about the rear...

Front:
Progress Tech 27mm Anti-Roll bar
Neuspeed strut tower brace

Rear:
RSX-S 19mm Anti-Roll bar
Tornactive strut tower brace

And Tein SS coilovers.

In the near future (two paydays), I'll be getting the neuspeed X brace, and the neuspeed rear lower tie bar.

Now, the reason I ask for opinions is that I'm a bit worried that the front will be a bit too stiff for the rear? This will cause some understeer, which I really hate. I'm looking for a neutral feel.

Almost all of this is sitting in my basement, awaiting the melting of the snow for installation...man, I can't wait to go bananas!

What do you guys think??? Should I get the progress rear? Or will this give me a neutral feeling?

Thanks!

robbclark1 04-08-2003 01:40 PM

I think you should be fine. I would get the progress rear if it will fit with your exhaust. That would be me. If i didn't have the TCS i would have the progress rear. I am going for a similar type of set up, except I have an OBX rear strut bar, not going for the Tein's either, but the bars are similar.

AznHalfy 04-08-2003 03:03 PM

Tek sounds amazing ... let me know when you get it all installed ... I wanna check it all out when its finished ... maybe get some tips on where to get my stuff bought and installed. I am sure it is gonna look phat!
L8tr

Zzyzx 04-08-2003 09:11 PM

The only concern I have is with the front Anti-roll bar. Whats the size of the front bar on the RSX? If you'r going to Run an RSX rear, and the progress bar up front you may endup geting a bit more understeer. what type of springs are you going to use? If they are stiff enough, you may not have a problem, but if your running stock, you will get more understeer.

good luck with that.

tekgnosis 04-08-2003 10:12 PM

AznHalfy: Thanks, I'll let you come for a test drive! :)

Zzyzx: Not sure of the size on the front RSX-S...it could be 25mm? A 2mm difference?

But, I'll be running with tein SS coilovers, which have a nice progressive spring rate :)

tekgnosis 04-08-2003 10:13 PM

Originally posted by robbclark1
I think you should be fine. I would get the progress rear if it will fit with your exhaust. That would be me. If i didn't have the TCS i would have the progress rear. I am going for a similar type of set up, except I have an OBX rear strut bar, not going for the Tein's either, but the bars are similar.
I forgot about the exhaust...dang.

I have the magnaflow cat-back. It already almost rubs on the front....so I wonder what I can do to stop it rubbing with the bigger front anti-roll bar?

any suggestions?

luckynumbernine 04-08-2003 11:12 PM

sounds like a pretty solid setup there my friend. i too have recently upgraded the rigidity of my '02 ex with the neuspeed front strut bar. man! what a difference. the car feels so much more confident in the twisties. no more sea sickness! i also have the front x-brace and a skunk2 lower rear tie bar sitting in my living room. i am also waiting for the weather to clear to put them on. i wanted to go all neuspeed but i was rather unhappy with the design of the new lower rear tie bar. i will tell you that the skunk2 bar appears to be a quality piece. very rigid, there's no bending this bad boy! comes packaged very nicely too. stickers and all. anyhow, good luck with the parts, i bet your honda will handle like a slot car. :tup:

Zzyzx 04-08-2003 11:27 PM

You'd be suprised, a 2mm difference on an anti-sway bar can mean a 50% or more increace in stiffness.

robbclark1 04-09-2003 08:33 AM

The rsx front sway bar is actually smaller than our present 25mm one. So it is not worth it to downgrade to an RSX front sway bar.

mig 04-09-2003 09:08 AM

I found using the X-brace and Progress 27mm together required some modification of the sway bar's mounting hardware. Nothing major, but make sure you have a file, just in case. Had to take a corner off the sway bar's mounting plates due to the intrusion of the x-braces rear mounting points.

civicvtec1ps 04-09-2003 09:51 AM

thats good setup .
heres my setup
------------------
tein ss
neuspeed front strut bar
rsx 19mm sway bar
rear upper strut bar
obx low tie bar

rides nice...

mig 04-09-2003 09:58 AM

here's where I'm going:

installed:
Progress front and rear bars (rear with integrated tie bar)
Neuspeed front strut bar & x-brace
Spoon rear strut bar
since I have an '01, added the now standard factory torsion bar

To go:
H&R Cup kit
camber kit

I figure I'll never win any acceleration prizes, but just maybe I can make a good showing in the corners.

japslapcivic 04-09-2003 10:23 AM

someone please let me know how the X-brace feels b/c i want to put one on my 01 ex, currently i have super down precedio springs, front strut bar-rear lower tie bar (obx). front and rear camber kit and i really like my springs but want real coil-overs (tein ss) so let me know how that setup will feel

tekgnosis 04-09-2003 11:12 AM

sweet, sounds like everyone has a pretty kickin setup!

I'm glad others have the same as what I'm putting on...and love it :)

so about the skunk2 rear tie bar...is it better than the neuspeed one? where can i get it?

I don't think rob at tornactive has it.

amen to the acceleration prizes....but when you're out on the track, there's usually only one or two straightaways, and if you can compete/win in the corners, then who cares about acceleration :)

Boilermaker1 04-09-2003 11:43 AM

may want to go for the 22mm DC5-R sway bar. www.aj-racing.com has them for about 80 bucks... with the 27mm up front, I think 22 in the back would be a better match (and it's JDM :) ). Don't forget to upgrade the endlinks. Hotchkis has a set of front and rear... about 160.

tekgnosis 04-09-2003 02:59 PM

Sweet, AND they're from canada!

no duty...but I'll have to pay GST :(

Any links for the hotchkis endlinks? what about polyurethane bushings for the DC5-R sway bar? does it come with them?

tekgnosis 04-09-2003 03:29 PM

sweet, ok, I ordered the rear 22mm sway bar :) hehehe

Thanks guys...this should be pretty sweet!

now to hunt down some polyurathane bushings, and the hotchkis endlinks!

Boilermaker1 04-09-2003 05:38 PM

www.clubrsx.com has the end links... I don't know who else does.

tekgnosis 04-10-2003 09:39 AM

cool, but they say its a group buy which ended march 31st? :(

dang! I'll email them and see what they have to say.

Thanks Boilermaker1!

tekgnosis 04-10-2003 10:07 AM

ok, I emailed the club RSX guy, and he said that they are ordering more endlinks this afternoon, and that they'll go out once he gets them.

he needs orders by this afternoon, or ASAP if anyone else is interested. Just a heads up!

Thanks Boilermaker1!!!