Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   Suspension noise (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications/84666-suspension-noise.html)

TRIPLExRATED 03-30-2003 02:26 PM

Suspension noise

My girlfriend has a 2001 ex coupe and we lowered her car about 3 months ago or so. When the car was finished there was a popping noise when you turned the wheels all most all the way in either direction. Now it is getting to the point to where you turn the wheels just a little they make the popping noise and to me this is getting really annoying. Is there any way to fix this. Any information would be great.

flotsamm 03-30-2003 05:53 PM

Double check your work and look for signs of wearing or rubbing parts. Could be the spring isolators(or lack thereof), dead coils rubbing, bad cv joints, top strut washer, incorrect torque settings, defective tie rod.. basically anything. Maybe put it up on jack stands and take look around.

VNlilMAN 03-30-2003 10:25 PM

it usually an installation issue..
first check the middle bolt under the hood that holds the whole strut together.. see if its tightened all the way..
if its not that then its probably cause the top perch wasnt aligned correctly.
ya spring isolators help too but usually its the above 2...
whats happening is the springs itself are twisting rather then just the bearings. when you jack up the car and turn the wheels there probably wont be a noise cause there isnt much load on the springs to make the noise..

Mex 03-31-2003 11:08 AM

what is the spring isolator?

VNlilMAN 03-31-2003 12:16 PM

its just a rubber tubing that goes around the spring. it prevents metal hitting metal whether it be the coils rubbing/hitting each other or the springs hitting/rubbing against the perch...

jdm_bb 06-23-2005 10:15 PM

I have the same problem, gotta look at my suspension.

GaryC17 06-24-2005 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by VNlilMAN
it usually an installation issue..
first check the middle bolt under the hood that holds the whole strut together.. see if its tightened all the way..
if its not that then its probably cause the top perch wasnt aligned correctly.
ya spring isolators help too but usually its the above 2...
whats happening is the springs itself are twisting rather then just the bearings. when you jack up the car and turn the wheels there probably wont be a noise cause there isnt much load on the springs to make the noise..

Did you experience the same noises with your Ground Controls previously, since the springs don't rest on the perch directly?

jttegx 06-24-2005 05:03 PM

ive had the same issue with my skunk2 coilovers. maybe it was because i didnt index the struts but a solution was greasing the top of the spring and underneath. cause that noise is metal rubbing against metal. by greasing it, it'd be a temporay solution and prevent metal rubbing against metal.

im assuming your dropped on sleeved coilovers?

ren808 07-01-2005 10:26 AM

i have the same problem with my GC......they suck donkey dik
what is happening is the struts and or the coils are sticking. i personally have not found a cure for this disease except...... TEINS

R1Style 07-03-2005 02:51 PM

the upper perch is mounted incorrectly... That's what's causing the suspension to pop.

Those perches are angled slightly if you look at them carefully... and when you install them incorrectly... the angle doesn't sit flush with the car.

This is why you get the popping sound. Whenever you turn your steering wheel... the angle pops back into place...