Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pad Review (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/369391-brembo-blanks-hawk-hps-pad-review.html)

Hondoyota 02-21-2017 09:24 PM

Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pad Review

I have an 03 LX sedan and figured I'd make a thread to spread the word since I've been very happy with my brake upgrade so far. I got Brembo OE replacement rotors (aka blanks) and Hawk HPS pads for the front and I've been able to stop on a dime. They do create more dust than stock, but no noise at all, thankfully.

My drums in the back squeak and are almost toast, so I've that's why I am even more impressed with the braking performance in the front. I'll hopefully be tackling a rear disc conversion in the next few months to take care of that.

Anyway, anyone else using this combo? Let me know how your experience has been.

mac25 02-22-2017 01:50 AM

Re: Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pad Review

That's good that they feel solid.

I thought we were talking 6 pot calipers and composite rotors though, lol.

xRiCeBoYx 02-22-2017 12:33 PM

...how did you get 6-pot calipers from reading brembo blanks...? You crazy cam. :lol:

Back to OP, I've heard that over time, the Hawk HPS tend to be noisy af. I went with the Hawk performance ceramics in lieu of those for that reason. No noised after tens of thousands of miles, great braking performance. As far as a rear disc conversion, it's a stupid easy conversion. Just gotta get the parts for it. It's the second thing I ever did on my car. There's a DIY guide around here somewhere. I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment :lol:

mcnoople 02-22-2017 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hondoyota (Post 4719906)
My drums in the back squeak and are almost toast, . .

Do they squeak every time you push and release the brake pedal? That is very common and cause by needing a little lubrication.

How many miles on the car? I am curious about how long it took to wear out the rear shoes. Haven't seen a set yet with enough miles to need replacement. Usually the drums are good for 200k+ miles. When new they are only about 2mm thick.

I remember the last time I did an actual brake upgrade. Went from 9 inch front drum brakes to 11" vented rotors. Brakes and lights are 2 systems that should always priority over power. What good is power if you can't stop or see where you are going.

xRiCeBoYx 02-22-2017 04:22 PM

suspension, I'd add to that list. What good is all that if you can't sit on the ground properly.

Hondoyota 04-08-2017 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcnoople (Post 4719958)
Do they squeak every time you push and release the brake pedal? That is very common and cause by needing a little lubrication.

How many miles on the car? I am curious about how long it took to wear out the rear shoes. Haven't seen a set yet with enough miles to need replacement. Usually the drums are good for 200k+ miles. When new they are only about 2mm thick.

Yes the brakes squeak when releasing the brake pedal. My mechanic showed me the friction surface of the drums and its totally worn out on front side, but has some material in the rear area. Not sure how much material is normally recommended, but I'd guess metal on metal is bad?

​​​​​​​Less than 145k miles on the car. I've owned it for about 15k of those miles so no idea how the prior owner wore them out so quickly.

ccrexer 04-25-2017 02:01 PM

Just did the same to my '04 ex civic. front brakes were warped pretty severely, so I got some brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads. About $170.00 total, shipped. I used to own a subi STi, and I replaced the stock rotors with slotted and HPS pads back in 2005, never to change them again until the motor blew last year, and I was HARD on them, lots of twisty roads, as often as I could. Mechanic said I still had about 30% left on those pads, here's hoping the same with my civic.