Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   Wilwood Brakes --Need Help-- (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/232898-wilwood-brakes-need-help.html)

texascivic2k1 10-26-2005 11:18 AM

Wilwood Brakes --Need Help--

I did do a search on Wilwood brakes and found some answers... But I have a couple more...

I found a website that is selling the Wilwood "Big Brake" Kit and wondered if $649.75 plus $7 shipping was a good or average price?
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product And has anyone bought anything from these people????

Also if I have the right ones that will fit (by the way I do have 18" wheels) part number (262mm or 240mm)
94-03 Civic 4 Lug 262mm Front Kit - SRP Rotor WW140-6163-D $649.75

Does this kit come with everything I need?... brake line kit... I don't know please educate me.

Lastly for the people that have these brakes please tell me ya'lls journey with these... please. :help:

mrDFWmechanic 10-26-2005 11:34 AM

hot damn i was looking at fastbrakes and they wanted 1300 for the kit. it says that fittings and flexlines to install the brake kit must be ordered seperate

es2k2 10-26-2005 11:48 AM

very nice.. but very expensive..

texascivic2k1 10-26-2005 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrDFWmechanic
hot damn i was looking at fastbrakes and they wanted 1300 for the kit. it says that fittings and flexlines to install the brake kit must be ordered seperate

Damn $1300 for the kit and don't have everything :shake: I was expecting that with the one I found for $650. I don't know much about brakes but do you now if the ones I am looking at are the ones I need?

Also I do know that they are expensive but how is the quality? I know that they are a reputable brand but....?

mrDFWmechanic 10-26-2005 11:59 AM

wilwood is a good brand i have a friend that has them on his turbo eg hatch and man their a really good upgrade.

aznstylez254 10-26-2005 12:36 PM

do those fit 15" rims?

mrDFWmechanic 10-26-2005 12:37 PM

yes its the only kit that clears 15' wheels

mrDFWmechanic 10-26-2005 12:43 PM

this might help out too
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0201ht_brakes/

texascivic2k1 10-26-2005 12:58 PM

Good find^^^ Thanks..... Now I need to find if that is the right Part Number and where to find the Brake Line Kit?

I think the part # is WW140-6163-D on hrpworld.com (which is almost the same as wilwood.com) and wilwood.com says that brake line kit #220-6420 goes with the brake kit.

CivicMexicano 10-26-2005 01:05 PM

actaly the 2 piston willwood kit does not inlcude lines to my knolege,

cwick187 10-26-2005 01:39 PM

I have seen them for around the same price, if not cheaper in a mag., but I can't remeber which one..It even had the brake line part # that you need...Crap! I can't remember

texascivic2k1 10-26-2005 02:26 PM

Okay did some more research and found out that the part numbers might be right look at post #21 and #22 on this tread....

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hlight=WILWOOD

Man I really want these....

zachgeyer 10-26-2005 03:08 PM

thats a sweet kit i might pic this up

kasimmmmm 10-26-2005 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mrDFWmechanic
yes its the only kit that clears 15' wheels

does that mean they clear OEM 15" wheels?

kasimmmmm 10-26-2005 03:37 PM

i was actually going to do an sir rear disc conversion... which would be better?

mrDFWmechanic 10-26-2005 04:32 PM

the wilwood front brake would help more than the rear conversion

Boilermaker1 10-26-2005 07:21 PM

Ok, I need to clear some major ****ups here.
The WILWOOD KIT DOES NOT Clear 15" wheels
The FASTBRAKES 11" KIT CLEARS SOME 15" wheels.
Neither will clear stock wheels. You need more offset for the fat caliper.
Niether are really worth while unless you have some reason that your brakes are overheating after trying everything else first.

texascivic2k1 10-27-2005 01:34 AM

It 1:30 am here in Texas and found out that Fastbrake.com seems to be a reputable web-site. This guy bought some...http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ght=fastbrakes

Also fastbrakes.com is almost the same price as hrpworld.com

hrpworld.com = $650 brake line kit not included

fastbrakes.com = $675 includes brake line kit and offers the caliper in red or polished (extra $) and take paypal.

EP12-140-6163 2001+ Civic Wilwood 12.2 inch 4 piston kit
REQUIRES 16" or larger wheels
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...cts_id=120{2}8

Just trying to help others that are wanting to upgrade there brake for the first time like me and don't know a damn thing about this stuff. :D
I am tired and going to bed and probably ordering these tomorrow.
If you have had problems with this web-site please tell me before I spend close to a $1000 dollars. Thanks.

Boilermaker1 10-27-2005 07:12 AM

Spend the thousand dollars. Buy something you don't know anything about and don't know what it does. There's a smart metallity right there.

tfnaaf 10-27-2005 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Spend the thousand dollars. Buy something you don't know anything about and don't know what it does. There's a smart metallity right there.

Maybe he wants to buy it cause it looks good and it will improve brake performance. Dont be so nancy negative cause someone wants to improve thier car :p And yes it will improve braking performance, wil lit be better suited for a race car? YES will it improve spirited braking on the street? YES

Boilermaker1 10-27-2005 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
Maybe he wants to buy it cause it looks good and it will improve brake performance. Dont be so nancy negative cause someone wants to improve thier car :p And yes it will improve braking performance, wil lit be better suited for a race car? YES will it improve spirited braking on the street? YES

Nancy negative?
I just don't see the point of spending money like that on something you don't totally understand. Whats the point? if you don't know what it does, why jump on it just cuz you got the money? New brake pads, fluid and stainless lines solve the problem on the street, they almost solve the problem on the track. The issue with the track is that running repeated sessions, the brakes don't cool enough and the temps keep going higher. There's utterly no need for an upgrade kit. If you want them to look cool, ebay sells ricey covers for your calipers that make them look like the Spoon ones.

texascivic2k1 10-27-2005 08:36 AM

Okay Negative Nancy.... I do respect your opinion but, it’s my car not yours. You keep saying that I don't know anything about brakes like I am dumb..... Well I did say I didn't know anything thing about brakes but I am learning, it can't be that hard... it's not brain surgery.

Yes their are a lot of people that spend money for useless parts: Lambo doors, Large spoiler, etc.... but its their car they can do whatever they want. Look at members "blackbullet" and "XTREME2K2CIVIC" my other Texas friends... they have put so much money into their civics that it looks a hell of a lot nicer than yours. But if you keep telling your self "what is the point" you going to live a dull and boring life. If you look at the picture again you and I have a civic.... we are putting all this money into this little D17 "What is the point"?

You can go on to E-Bay and get you your little ricer cover it might look better on your car.

And yes just because I have the money... "I'm rich B*tch"

All I know is my brake system will be better than you... don't be jealous :roflmao:

Thank you "tfnaaf"

skipbarber 10-27-2005 09:12 AM

i think youre better off doing a rear disc conversion. Huge discs up front and tiny drums in the rear looks kinda weak. I personally think my rear disc conversion is more than enough for my braking.

oh, and by the way, rich or not, buying expensive things you dont really know anything about is still a waste of money. But youre right, it is your car. You titled your thread with "need help" some of us just think you could put that money into better use, like a turbo :lol:

Boilermaker1 10-27-2005 09:28 AM

Yes their are a lot of people that spend money for useless parts: Lambo doors, Large spoiler, etc.... but its their car they can do whatever they want. Look at members "blackbullet" and "XTREME2K2CIVIC" my other Texas friends... they have put so much money into their civics that it looks a hell of a lot nicer than yours.
Umm.... race car. I could give 2 shits to the wind what my car looks like. Nice try though. Sick your show car posse on me and see just how much I really care.
Your brakes are better than mine? Oh ok, lets turn this into a pissing contest.
I'll keep telling myself whats the point. You don't know what you're talking about, so you're obviously right. And throwing money at a D17 doesn't come into this arguement at all, yet another valiant effort without a basis.
The difference is I know what I'm doing before I just go out and do it. I can take a dump on the salad bar at Wendy's if I wanted to. Doesn't mean I'm gonna do it because I can.
You don't just go throw new brakes on the car because you can. Otherwise honda would have done it. There is nothing wrong with the factory brakes. Throwing fancy stuff on there and pumping the same pressure through the lines doesn't do a whole lot. Same pressure, more area to press on = LESS FORCE. The benefit they serve is more frictional area and the result is you dissapate heat better. In theory if you can keep them cooler, they'll stop better because they won't be torched, but short of 15-20 minutes flat out on a track you can't get the factory brakes to that point. So in conclusion, if you can't overheat the brakes , you don't need them.

tfnaaf 10-27-2005 09:41 AM

Dont get me wrong i support Boilermaker1's thoughts on researching every aspect of what your doing and fully understanding its pros and cons. Dont b*tch slapping someone just cause they want the upgraded brakes that WILL out peform stock becuase you think they dont need it is wrong IMO. I agree 99% will never use upgraded brakes to there full potential. But for that 1% it may save thier life! So IMO its worth ever penny to upgrade ANY saftey aspect of a car, for looks or performance! ;)

texascivic2k1 10-27-2005 10:07 AM

Okay Boilermaker1 I don't want it to become "this into a pissing contest". At the beginning is said "educate me" as in willing to learn... not just put me down. I probably should have stated this in the beginning that I am not making my car into a race car... it is just for looks. And no I don't want to go the cheap way because then it will look cheap.

Yes I do agree that Boilermaker1's thoughts on researching every aspect of what you’re doing and fully understanding its pros and cons is great. That is why I stayed up late last night reading all kinds of material. Also I know that you can't learn everything in one night too. But I got the money and it is killing me right now because I have wanted these for the longest time but never looked in to it.

And I understand that I don't need them but doesn't mean I don't want them.

tfnaaf 10-27-2005 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by texascivic2k1
Okay Boilermaker1 I don't want it to become "this into a pissing contest". At the begining is said "educate me" as in willing to learn... not just put me down. I probably should have stated this in the begining that I am not making my car into a race car... it is just for looks. And no I don't want to go the cheap way because then it will look cheap.

Yes I do agree that Boilermaker1's thoughts on researching every aspect of what your doing and fully understanding its pros and cons is great. That is why I stayed up late last night reading all kinds of matiral. Also I know that you can't learn everything in one night too. But I got the money and it is killing me right now beacuse I have wanted these for the longest time but never looked in to it.

And I understand that I don't need them but doesn't mean I don't want them.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rockon:

Boilermaker1 10-27-2005 10:21 AM

Ok, and to further my point, it takes more than a night to learn it all. So I'm glad we agree on that. You throw a lot of variables into a system that was designed specifically for a very important purpose. Upgrading the calipers involves a lot. Usually an MC upgrade is a smart move, figuring out the effects of the bias change and the function of the ABS is also another thing to figure out. I'm not saying don't buy it, I don't care about your bank account, what I'm saying is there's no sense buying something you're going to look back on later thinking it was pointless because you didn't know the whole deal. I've done it before, I learned from it, which is why I'm pretty assish about throwing money, especially a lot of money around on things that may not actually serve a major beneficial use. If you're jumping from stock Honda everything to complete new systems without trying to improve the brakes in other ways first, I would suggest exploring those far less drastic and cheaper avenues first.

sweeteli99 10-27-2005 10:36 AM

get rear disc, and big brake :). they'll look better.

Zzyzx 10-27-2005 10:50 AM

Ok, I have but one question for all this...

What made you want or made you think you needed to get a BBK?

I ask because you claim that it will make the brakes perform better, however in reality they will only perform better then the stock setup under certin circumstances... and when used out side of those circumstances a BBK can actually hinder the performanc of the car, both by decreasing acceleration and Possibly increasing stopping distances. (if you want to stop faster, get stickier tires)

So, Logically, if you arnt using the car for what a BBK is usefull for you may be doing more harm then good... but then hey, you get to look cool to all your friends.