Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   squeak sound when lifting foot off brake (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/343835-squeak-sound-when-lifting-foot-off-brake.html)

PeteReview 09-18-2011 10:20 PM

squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

History: New brakes and bleeding of fluid were done last year since I bought the car new in Dec 2005.

I brought the car into the dealer. The service guy and mechanic could not explain what the cause was. They sprayed WD40 around the mechanism by the brake pedal. It stopped squeaking for two weeks then it came back.:hithead:

Car specs: 2005 Honda Civic Coupe Value Package 70,000 miles.

gearbox 09-18-2011 10:30 PM

Re: squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

it could be the rear brake shoes cable. try holding the ebrake button and moving the handle up and down repeatedly. if it makes the squeak each time you lower the handle, its the rear brake cable and it needs to be lubed from inside the drums.

you can also try spraying the brake pedal moving parts with silicone lube, but be sure to put a bag over the rubber brake pedal part so you do not get lube on it (and your foot slips when pressing it).

lowlife9 09-18-2011 10:32 PM

are you sure its coming from inside the car because hondas are notorious for having squeaky rear drums when you release the pedal usually caused from the return springs needing lubrication.

Aetoc 09-19-2011 12:02 PM

I have a similar, if not the same issue. It sounds as if its coming from under the hood, but for me it comes and goes, like recently, it hasn't done it, but last week, for about 4 or 5 days, it did it every time I lifted my foot off the brake. Very strange thing.

Balzdpr 09-20-2011 09:45 AM

My 02' has this issue it is extremly annoying. When I took that car to the shop last the brakes where given pads it didnt do it for about two or three days then woosh all back again like never before. I'm going with the comments and solutions here and hope those suggestions will solve the mystery. Thankfully my 05' doesnt have this issue.
:russian:

PeteReview 09-20-2011 07:33 PM

That emergency brake test helped a lot! After driving 25 miles on a hot day the it did squeak when moving the emergency break. I will lubricate the rear brake cable inside the drums, rear springs, ect.. In addition silicon spray the front moving parts beyond the brake peddle.
I will report back if results!

PeteReview 01-06-2012 07:54 AM

The squeak is gone! I told dealer mechanic to put it on the lift and lubricate the rear brake cable inside the drums and rear springs. He asked why I thought that was the cause? I explained pulling the emergency brake or depressing of the brake pedal caused squeak after 25 mile drive.

Thanks to everyones input!

Claridge45 09-05-2016 09:19 PM

I also had the squeak when i depressed my brake pedal. Jacked up the car, pulled the wheel and drum off. I pushed the pedal and heard something spray and hit inside the wheel well. It was a bad wheel cylinder, leaking inside the drum. Make sure to check your wheel cylinders!

ezone 09-05-2016 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Claridge45 (Post 4712903)
I also had the squeak when i depressed my brake pedal. Jacked up the car, pulled the wheel and drum off. I pushed the pedal and heard something spray and hit inside the wheel well. It was a bad wheel cylinder, leaking inside the drum. Make sure to check your wheel cylinders!

Don't push the brake pedal while the brake drum is off.
The wheel cylinder can come apart due to excessive travel.
Then you have a mess.

Claridge45 09-06-2016 05:24 AM

Thanks man, I realize that now. Lol Threw in a new wheel cylinder and brake brake line that attaches to the flex hose and cylinder. Cleaned and greased all the contact points. No more squeal.