Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   Multiple Issues: Brakes/Wheels/Steering (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/291892-multiple-issues-brakes-wheels-steering.html)

PrecisnTec 03-17-2007 08:24 AM

Multiple Issues: Brakes/Wheels/Steering

In the last 2 months I have replaced the barke pads on my 03 LX Sedan and replaced the factory steelies with a set of 02 SI wheels. In doing so the car has developed two problems most likely independent of each other.

When driving the car pulls to the right. It's easy to control but still means there is something wrong. I am not sure if it's tire balance or what. The tire pressure in the tires are fine. The second problem I have is in the morning when I go to start the car the brake pedal is real soft, almost as if it goes to the floor. After pumping and driving for a minute (after it warms up) the pedal is firm again and all is fine.

Anyone have any input as to what is going on here?

Thanks

DaMadScientist 03-17-2007 09:37 AM

the car pulling to the right is most likely an alignment problem and the brake issue...did you bleed the brake any chance...soft brake pedal is a sign that air is in the brake lines

PrecisnTec 03-17-2007 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DaMadScientist (Post 4160676)
the car pulling to the right is most likely an alignment problem and the brake issue...did you bleed the brake any chance...soft brake pedal is a sign that air is in the brake lines

negative on the bleeding. Just opened the brake fluid resevoir, used the old brake pad and c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper, changed pads, replaced fluid cap and pumped brakes until firm. Added more fluid as needed and that's it. So you think I should just bleed the brakes?

And why would I suddenly have an alignment issue after changing tires unless running a larger tire amplifies the alignment issue?

Thanks

Da1lyDr1ver 03-17-2007 11:56 AM

i agree that the car pulling in the right is a alignment issue. best thing you can do is get the tires rebalanced when you get this done.

also, like said before, bleed the brakes, you probably have air bubbles in your brake lines.

LT2004ever 03-17-2007 01:45 PM

how hard does it pull to the right, cause if its just a slight drift... thats not ur fault... or your car... remember all roads (except testing ones and ones that say otherwise) are built at an angle to the right, just to allow rain and crap to sheet off to the side...

PrecisnTec 03-17-2007 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by LT2004ever (Post 4160783)
how hard does it pull to the right, cause if its just a slight drift... thats not ur fault... or your car... remember all roads (except testing ones and ones that say otherwise) are built at an angle to the right, just to allow rain and crap to sheet off to the side...

nah this is a noticeable pull. The car used to track straight on the road. It has to be a balance issue with the wheels b/c I think when I had them on my other car it pulled right also.

Thanks for the info!

DaMadScientist 03-17-2007 05:55 PM

as i remember it..it is a balance issue..because when i got my new tires mounted, the shop took off the old weights and added new ones in a different spot

tfnaaf 03-18-2007 11:21 AM

lol LOTS of missinformation....... Tire balance has ZERO to do with pulling problem. We need more info to determine the pull problem. First are you using the same tires as before? Did you place them in the same posistion as they started from( as in right front, LF, RR, LR)? If not than most likely one of the tires is causing the pull problem assuming you didnt run in to a curb right after changing the wheels. To figure out if its a tire causing the pull swap your left front for your right front tire. Test drive the car, does it now pull the other way or drive straight? If so then its a tire causing the problem.

Now on to the brake problem. When you use a c-clamp to press the piston back in you should open the bleeder so the fluid exits out the bleeder and dont get forced back upstream carrying the dirty fluid to the master cyl. Did the pedal problem start right after the new pads? Soemtimes new brake pads can give a different pedal feel when cold /warm. Good quality pads shouldn't have this problem. Its possible that you have a faulty brake caliper that is hanging up as it gets warm causing a firm pedal. Its also possible that the new brake pads havent broken in yet. Your rear brakes can also be out of adjustment amplifying the new brake pedal feel problem. Its also possible that you may have some air in the system that can be cured by bleeding.