Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   all season tires (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/234240-all-season-tires.html)

kiluminati001 11-07-2005 09:11 PM

all season tires

what are the best all season tires for my 17" wheels. currently i have yokohama's performance. also, im in new york and drive my car everywhere. i currently have 205/17/40. what size would u recomment considering roads and snow season here (i just moved to nyc a coupla months ago so have no idea how the snow season is).

any advise much appreciated.

thanks

Boilermaker1 11-07-2005 09:41 PM

There's no such thing as a best.
But if you don;t care how much they are, Bridgestone RE950s are about as good as you're going to do. Thats not to say that an honest to goodness snow tire wouldn't be a better choice, saving the 17s for summer duty.

pbfoot 11-08-2005 01:00 AM

bf goodrich traction t/a are also good...not sure if they make them in that size though.

Goatboy 11-08-2005 02:46 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
I have Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, much better in the wet than my old Yokohama AVS es100.

kiluminati001 11-09-2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goatboy
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
I have Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, much better in the wet than my old Yokohama AVS es100.

I also have the Yokohama AVS es100 right now. What size do you have of the Pirellis PZero. Is Tire Rack the best place to buy 'em?

slicksivik 11-09-2005 07:58 PM

i just bought some bridgestone potenzas g009's for my wheels. not sure if they come in the 17's but check tire rack. there suppose to be real good all season tires. the re950s i do believe are summer high performance tires. id go with a 215/45/17 considering ur in ny and the snow, its better to have more tire.

aoar 11-09-2005 08:05 PM

nyc winters arent bad at all.. Theres maybe 2 storms worth nothing the entire winter. They do a good job plowing the major roads.. if u live on smaller one way street, ull just have to learn to park on the left side of the road as all the plows push all the snow to the right. imo.. id be more concered about the potholes and cracks..

Boilermaker1 11-09-2005 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by slicksivik
i just bought some bridgestone potenzas g009's for my wheels. not sure if they come in the 17's but check tire rack. there suppose to be real good all season tires. the re950s i do believe are summer high performance tires. id go with a 215/45/17 considering ur in ny and the snow, its better to have more tire.

RE950s are "high performance" all seasons. That category is the biggest oxymoron, but thats what they call it.

pon55 11-09-2005 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by aoar
nyc winters arent bad at all.. Theres maybe 2 storms worth nothing the entire winter. They do a good job plowing the major roads.. if u live on smaller one way street, ull just have to learn to park on the left side of the road as all the plows push all the snow to the right. imo.. id be more concered about the potholes and cracks..

:rofl: you sh1t:tup:
nyc potholes can swallow a whole civic!
got to www.urbanracer.com and in the classified you can find cheap winter rims w/tires.

Manick 11-09-2005 08:16 PM

I had some old Falken Azenis Sport's I rode on the public street awhile back, then I moved on to some Yokohama Parada Spec 2's for all-season and they make a huge difference on wet roads, and makes the ride alot smoother. Granted, its not a very fair comparison, but they were the first all-season tire's I've ever owned and so far they have not disappointed me. The Azenis Sport's are just monsters on dry pavement though, but are more made for the track.

Boilermaker1 11-09-2005 08:24 PM

Paradas aren;t AS tires. They're straight up summer tires. You may have used them in the winter, but don't spread mis-information labeling them as all seasons. It just confuses the hell out of people.

Manick 11-09-2005 08:40 PM

Sorry, I had a brainfart moment... I couldn't quite remember what they were because I was looking at getting just about any performance tire that was recommended for me.

Zzyzx 11-10-2005 12:06 PM

I've had good experiances with Continental ContiExtremeContact's.... Handled rain, light snow, and every thing else I could throw at them... They even gripped the dry decently (you need a good amount of negitive camber to counter act the softer sidewalls if you really want to push the car) BUT! they are not race tires! and the shoulder tread will want to chunk if you get them too hot. (Dont bother with them if you plan on racing) I have autocrossed on them... and I'd have to say, 400 Tread wear all seasons (Ultra high performance or not) should NEVER be use for compitition.

jeremys 11-10-2005 12:16 PM

I just got the michelin hydroedge and I love them! Not sure if they are in your size, but they offer great performance, wear, and a cool tread pattern!

kismylx 11-10-2005 12:21 PM

Nokiantyres.com are really good the best for the winter nokian wr's are excellent these are eurpean tires I think these would be your best choice.:cool:

Goatboy 11-10-2005 01:20 PM

204/45/16. I have also had Parada Spec 2 and the older Parada, and I have to say the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S are a better tire.