Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   15" Drag Radials.......? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/144260-15-drag-radials.html)

Project2k2 03-12-2004 07:29 AM

15" Drag Radials.......?

Ok well, my friend just sold me two of his old 15" white Rota Slipstreams, now here's the question. We are gonna use these for drag radials at the track. Basically these wheels will be to get us there, race, and get us back. I was something good, but not A LOT of money. I noticed that most of the Hoosier are faukin expensive. Some of the BFGOODRICH ones look promising but so does the new kuhmo. Someone help me out. I'm not woried about corners, just traction in a strait line.

Project2k2 03-12-2004 07:45 AM

****, i posted this in the wrong forum, although it does make sense in here too, I meant to post in wheel/tire. MODS?!?!?!?

Zzyzx 03-12-2004 10:11 AM

name some Model names...

Kumho Ecsta V700, the V700 Victoracer, the Ecsta V710 ect..... (These are autocross/road race tires)

BFGoodrich makes som Drag radials. Both the Comp T/A and the g-Force T/A (Comp starts at aobut 130 the g-force is in the low 100s)

Project2k2 03-12-2004 10:18 AM

the ecasta v710 looked promising until it said it would not be very good performance after the weekend at the track.

I was looking into the g-force. The v710. and any other suggestions?

Zzyzx 03-12-2004 10:24 AM

The 710 is a great sticky racing tire, but I dont think it would do to well as a drag tire as it has VERY stiff side walls for cornering, it was designed to compete against Hoosiers A3S03 wich is why it doesnt last long. (the hoosiers are only good for a weekend too, at the national level at least)

I'd bee looking at the many Purpous designed drag radials before trying to use a road racing tire for drag.

ELaudio 03-13-2004 08:06 AM

Make sure the radials you get are street legal if you're going to drive it to and from the track. Also, remember that drag radials wear out REALLY quick. If the track is far from your place, I'd recommend driving it there with your street tires and swapping them out there.

My bro's got drag radials on his Z-28. Closest track is a good 100 miles away, so he drives out there with street tires and swaps out the rears in the parking lot. Usually a bunch of us get together, some don't race - we stick store the street tires in the spectator's trunk.

Project2k2 03-13-2004 04:45 PM

^^ we do the same thing but we stick em in who evers trunk is not racing. LoL.

BigDaddyHonda 03-16-2004 07:20 AM

The BF Goodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial is your best bet for a 15 inch rim on a front wheel drive car. You can get either a 205/50-15 or a 225/50-15 size. The other Comp T/A Drag Radial is the "old school" first generation tire made for the big rear wheel drive machines.

The Nitto NT 555R is also a purpose-built DOT legal drag radial, but they have concentrated on the larger 17 & 18 inch sizes. They don't make the 15" size needed for our cars.

I don't remember much about a Hoosier drag radial that would fit a Civic...I looked it up one time and it must not have made much of an impression on me :confused: Those Hoosier pro street tires ARE expensive and I don't even think they are made for the drag strip. They are just made to look "cool" :please:

Zzyzx 03-16-2004 10:12 AM

I don't think any thing Hoosier makes is just to look cool....

BigDaddyHonda 03-17-2004 06:02 AM

Originally posted by Zzyzx
I don't think any thing Hoosier makes is just to look cool....
Hoosier is a maker of serious competition tires, but we are talking drag radials here. When you go to their website, they show a "Quick Time DOT" & a "Quick Time Pro DOT" series of D.O.T. approved tires, but they are not in Civic friendly sizes.

What I mentioned above was their street tire, called the "Pro Street DOT Radial." This was taken directly from their site:

FEATURES.......................................... ...................................BENEFITS

Traditional Radial Construction....................................Sm ooth, consistent ride
Variable tread block size....................................Less road noise than bias tires
Wide channel directional tread design...........Excellent wet traction and braking
Serrated black sidewall treatment.........................Clean, show car appearance
Extended block spacing........................................Les s rock & debris retention

"Pro Street Tires are designed for highway use and are not suitable for racing purposes."

:rofl: Sorry dude, what that reads is "our tires look cool on your car" lol They're not gonna do a damn thing for you at the track

Zzyzx 03-17-2004 10:02 AM

Point taken, My narrow View regarding Hoosier comes form the Road race/ autocross scene... and Hoosier makes the best DOT legal Race tires. (at the nationals... If you want to win a stock class you Pretty much have to be running Hoosiers)