Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Air Conditioning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/390-air-conditioning)
-   -   2015 Civic SE - A/C - Heat, Not Blowing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/390-air-conditioning/374046-2015-civic-se-c-heat-not-blowing.html)

hatcamel 08-12-2018 03:21 PM

2015 Civic SE - A/C - Heat, Not Blowing

Today as I was going down the highway my A/C all of a sudden started ticking very slowly under the passenger side dash. Typically when running it all the way up it has a slight tick to it but it was more audible than usual. Then we noticed that hardly any air at all was coming out of the vents. I tried to adjust the temperature and various other settings and could not hardly get any air to come out. I do have an extended warranty, does this seem like something that would be covered? Any idea what may be wrong? I'm the original owner and the car has about 32k miles on it and is serviced every 5-6 months. Never had any issues before. Upon restarting the car it seemed to be idling a little funny but could be my imagination. Looked under the hood and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Seems like blower is out since it won't blow on hot or cold.

ezone 08-12-2018 04:56 PM

Re: 2015 Civic SE - A/C - Heat, Not Blowing

Is your car still covered under factory warranty (3/36)?
Ext warranty: it all depends on the wording in your contract.
Do you intend to try to fix this yourself?

Did the electric fan motor slow down and quit (electrical/mechanical failure), or was the electric fan motor still obviously running without moving any air (airflow obstruction)?

Does the fan still not work correctly?

hatcamel 08-12-2018 05:02 PM

It would be covered under factory warranty until October. The wording in the contract states it does cover AC and components including NC blower motor.

I would like to try to fix it myself if it is an obstruction.

It seemed to slow down and quit very suddenly. It is still producing a LITTLE air but it is not much at all.

ezone 08-12-2018 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by hatcamel (Post 4749532)
It would be covered under factory warranty until October.

Stop. Factory warranty comes first.
You bought the car in Oct 2015?

I would like to try to fix it myself if it is an obstruction.

It seemed to slow down and quit very suddenly. It is still producing a LITTLE air but it is not much at all.
You could take out the cabin filter and see if it's clogged up with mouse nest or similar, but that will not make the speed of the electric motor drop to almost nothing. That usually ends up being a bad fan motor.

Take it to your dealership.

GolNat 08-12-2018 07:12 PM

Does it blow better when set to outside air? Not sure where the return vent is inside the cabin but a tissue or something might have gotten sucked up it.

hatcamel 08-12-2018 09:42 PM

Outside air adjustment didn't seem to affect the rate of air discharge at all. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow afternoon and will be checking the cabin filter first thing in the morning. I tried to fiddle with the air earlier this afternoon and it seemed to pick back up and then die off again. I'm just going to leave it alone and see what the dealership has to say. It was purchased in 10/15.

MOJO_ERASER 08-13-2018 10:01 PM

Could be three things. Obvious is fuse check under the hood. The second is the blower motor is shot. That grinding noise is because the motor is about to run out. To tell if it’s just the blower motor if it’s still running a little hit the bottom of the blower motor which is under your right passenger glove department deep. Hit it hard and if it speeds up it’s definately the blower motor, even if it’s stopped all the way and you can still hit it and sometimes it will turn on for you. Replacing is easy cost less then 75 dollars and takes like 15 minutes. If it’s a good motor and air blows out check your resistor . The air will go from cool to hot and I have replaced this to fix the ac problem , this doesn’t seem to be your problem but it’s likely to be one in the future.