Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Regular Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/386-regular-maintenance)
-   -   MAINT. REQ'D light WON'T turn off! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/386-regular-maintenance/108952-maint-reqd-light-wont-turn-off.html)

SUPERFLY 08-11-2003 01:25 PM

MAINT. REQ'D light WON'T turn off!

I've tried many times to hold the odometer reset button while turning ignition key and hold for seconds and probably even minutes. How could I switch it off for good ? I'm tired of looking at it ! Did someone else ever had that problem?

tinman 08-11-2003 03:05 PM

Push the trip odometer reset, turn the key until the dash lights all come on (don't start it)
Hold it until the Maint Reqd. Light shuts off.
Turn the key off and take your finger off the button.

This does not work if you follow it exactly?

FALKEN 08-11-2003 03:18 PM

it needs be in 'mileage-mode' so check and make sure that your odometer is not in the trip-A or trip-B before you try this...

SUPERFLY 08-11-2003 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Tinman
Push the trip odometer reset, turn the key until the dash lights all come on (don't start it)
Hold it until the Maint Reqd. Light shuts off.
Turn the key off and take your finger off the button.

This does not work if you follow it exactly?

Nope, been there, done that...

SUPERFLY 08-11-2003 03:58 PM

Originally posted by FALKEN
it needs be in 'mileage-mode' so check and make sure that your odometer is not in the trip-A or trip-B before you try this...
I'll try again to make sure it was...

SUPERFLY 08-12-2003 09:01 AM

Not working... is there a wire I can cut?

Fern 08-12-2003 09:11 AM

Why would you cut that wire? Take it to the dealer. did it ever occur to you that maybe there actually is a problem?

SUPERFLY 08-12-2003 11:21 AM

I'm in Canada and my car is from the U.S., American Honda does not warranty a car unless the original owner moved out of contry. As far as I'm concerned this light is useless, I do my own strict maintenance and follow milleage.
And yes, it did occur to me that I had a problem, isn't this the "vehicule issue/problem" section?

Golfamg 03-29-2019 08:39 PM

Re: MAINT. REQ'D light WON'T turn off!

Originally Posted by SUPERFLY (Post 1295523)
I've tried many times to hold the odometer reset button while turning ignition key and hold for seconds and probably even minutes. How could I switch it off for good ? I'm tired of looking at it ! Did someone else ever had that problem?

i had the same issue, I tried all the odometer positions, still stayed on. I thought to check it with my code reader and saw my headlights were on. I thought no way, that can’t be it. Turned them off and tried it again. Wow! Finally went off

sdaidoji 03-30-2019 06:43 AM

the dash button fails overtime.
some soldering needed in back of cluster.
mine is on for years, i just ignore it because it does not much anyway.

mac25 03-30-2019 11:53 AM

Post from 2003 bro... lol

sdaidoji 03-30-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mac25 (Post 4759890)
Post from 2003 bro... lol

it's only 16 years old - can't even buy a beer yet, LOL!

Joe Stemberger 02-13-2021 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Golfamg (Post 4759882)
i had the same issue, I tried all the odometer positions, still stayed on. I thought to check it with my code reader and saw my headlights were on. I thought no way, that can’t be it. Turned them off and tried it again. Wow! Finally went off

That's hilarious! Worked for me! Thank you!

silvernblack 08-09-2021 11:07 AM

UPDATE: --- Nevermind--- I see it is just different "clicks" of the odometer reset button. I left the comment in case some other ignorant person (like me:)) doesn't recognize this.

How do you select between MILEAGE MODE, TRIP-A, and TRIP-B?

Originally Posted by FALKEN (Post 1295739)

sdaidoji 08-09-2021 12:19 PM

push the button.
if you can't change with a push, then your button is fubar.

Ish 03-20-2022 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Golfamg (Post 4759882)

I had this same issue. I would press my odometer reset button for 10 seconds, the oil life would begin to flash and no matter how long I kept holding the button it would not reset. I read Golfamg's reply, tried it and could not believe that it actually worked. I wasn't a member of the civic forum but thought this was such a random fix, I had to register just to thank Golfamg for this crazy fix. Thanks Golfamg!