Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/371-electrical)
-   -   96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/371-electrical/367443-96-civic-temperature-gauge-problem.html)

vichonda 05-15-2016 08:16 PM

96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem

Have civic cx 96 with temperature problem. marks high temp sometimes but at motor temp is ok, fan comes on and off everything normal. checked and replaced temp sending sensor, replaced temp gauge even threw an extra wire from sensor to gauge. car runs ok with temp normal only sometimes it goes up more than half when still. the problem is only when car is still and idle. do to when the problem occurs, replaced radiator after replacing thermostat and even ran it without it and still temp varies. the only thing left is to change the whole dash cluster. thinking to buy a temp gauge and connect the circuit apart from the dash cluster gauge. Any ideas or past experience to this problem?

ezone 05-16-2016 08:25 PM

Re: 96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem

Which coolant temp sensor did you replace?
Aftermarket sensor?

Plug in a scantool, read (data list) what the computer is seeing from its temp sensor.

Normal operating temp and most thermostats might open around 180, but the fan doesn't kick on until around 203*F. That extra 20 degrees might be what you see?

vichonda 05-16-2016 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=ezone;4707800]Which coolant temp sensor did you replace?
Aftermarket sensor?

Plug in a scantool, read (data list) what the computer is seeing from its temp sensor.

Normal operating temp and most thermostats might open around 180, but the fan doesn't kick on until around 203*F. That extra 20 degrees might be what you see?Quote]

vichonda 05-16-2016 09:13 PM

It is the coolant temp sending sensor. The one that sends the reading to the dash gauge. It is not the coolant temp sensor that sends the reading to the computer. I bought a sensor made in Japan at the Honda Auto Part. The first one bought was a sensor made in China but thinking the same thing went and bought a better one. I also have a 95 civic and bought the same sensor made in Japan and till this date I have not had problems with it. I have a temp laser gun and measured the temp at the thermostat housing next to the temp switch sensor and yes the fan kicks in at about 203-205*F.

ezone 05-16-2016 11:52 PM

You could monitor voltage on the wire for the sending unit and see if it remains steady while the gauge goes high or if it drops voltage when the gauge goes high.

Charmin122586 02-24-2020 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by vichonda (Post 4707715)
Have civic cx 96 with temperature problem. marks high temp sometimes but at motor temp is ok, fan comes on and off everything normal. checked and replaced temp sending sensor, replaced temp gauge even threw an extra wire from sensor to gauge. car runs ok with temp normal only sometimes it goes up more than half when still. the problem is only when car is still and idle. do to when the problem occurs, replaced radiator after replacing thermostat and even ran it without it and still temp varies. the only thing left is to change the whole dash cluster. thinking to buy a temp gauge and connect the circuit apart from the dash cluster gauge. Any ideas or past experience to this problem?

I have the same problem with my 1996 Honda Civic cx were u able to figure out the issue