Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Cracked block early R18 Overheating (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/364-cracked-block-early-r18-overheating)
-   -   2006 Civic Engine block crack KNOWN DEFECT (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/364-cracked-block-early-r18-overheating/363673-2006-civic-engine-block-crack-known-defect.html)

Xuhme 04-21-2015 01:42 PM

2006 Civic Engine block crack KNOWN DEFECT

Driving 2006 Civic and experienced sudden engine shutdown...absolutely no warning or check engine light, and temp gauge showed normal...at moment of shut down, two lights flashed--oil pressure and fluid warning...drifted off road despite unable to steer or use brakes. Had car towed to dealer. While waiting for tow truck, checked fluids and the coolant was empty. I trying to turn car on, temp showed hot...after stopping.
Honda had issued an extended warranty on block, the crack is a known dfect in this generation...and will replace engine, but NOT head, dipstick etc....all collateral damage attributed to our driving in an overheated condition...which DID NOT HAPPEN. $2,000 to replace collateral damages...90,000 miles (extended warranty to 100,000 miles purchased, but expired after 8 years). original owner. Wondering how many accidents have occured due to engine failure but it was not diagnosed due to collision after the failure? Never one moment of mechanical problems...always serviced by Honda dealer--last service two weeks prior and no hint of a problem (oil change, fluid checks). Looking for anecdotal and specific experience. Car Complaints.com has 150+ examples of this problem...

jordan1794 04-21-2015 03:13 PM

Re: 2006 Civic Engine block crack KNOWN DEFECT

Did you call the American Honda number, or are you just going through your dealer?
(Assuming you are in the U.S.)
http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...relations.aspx

jordan1794 04-21-2015 03:20 PM

Also, just saying, there are 7 million 8th gen honda civics in the u.s. alone.
150 complaints is very, very low.

It's a known issue, and it's been covered here in the forum before...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-cracking.html

Again, I'd contact Honda corporate, they will be much more helpful than talking directly to the dealer.

EDIT: I also cannot imagine a scenario where an engine failure would cause an accident that could not be tracked afterwards...
If an engine drops your pretty much are just coasting, unless you are on the highway it's a rather "safe" failure to have. Even on the highway, I'd imagine the damage would be focused purely on the rear from the idiot who was following you too close anyways.

ezone 04-21-2015 07:21 PM

and will replace engine, but NOT head, dipstick etc..

$2,000 to replace
Gee.

At my dealership we have had no problems replacing whatever is needed to restore the vehicle to a normal operating and reliable condition, all covered by the warranty extension on the engine block.

That includes the cylinder head if it is warped badly enough need replaced, the melted dipstick, melted ignition coils, we have even replaced a couple of radiators that were damaged during the overheat events. All covered by the warranty extension, customers did not have to pay a dime out of pocket.
Additionally, the warranty may pay for a rental car while we do the work.

A factory rep might need to give authorization in order to get all this covered by the warranty.

Contact Hondas customer assistance.

despite unable to steer or use brakes.
You are ALWAYS able to steer and use the brakes.
It just requires more physical effort on your part after the engine quits running because the power assist disappears.

rogertx2019 02-23-2019 08:06 AM

Finally i got engine block crack on my Honda civic 2008 – with only 78k miles on it, local dealer quoted $3500 for the repair (replacing the engine)…Worked with honda over past 3 weeks, they were of no help, refused to do anything further. Given the age of the car only option for me is to scrap than spending 3500 on it, Honda dont give any consideration of my long standing Honda loyalty (i owned 3 honda vehicles),and regular service history/oil changes etc… they just told this is outside of 10yr ext warranty…
Car was in very good running condition until this problem just popped up…Had spent almost 1200k on various recommended maintenance work in the past 1 year, hoping i could keep it for couple more years given the low mileage…no warnings, until one day coolant smell and overheating, stopped the vehicle, towed it to the dealer and just 3 weeks later I am looking for a scrap buyer… :(
Anyone driving a Honda Civic out there from these defective VIN series, better get rid of your vehicle before this happens to you…while there are only a low % cars with these defects, it is not 100s but easily in many thousands… Honda conveniently will never disclose those numbers… They will not even respond to you in email or writing on these cases…Most dealers i talked to in Houston area have seen many cases of these, so nationwide you can guess how many could be there… I was thinking of low probability until this all happened. Don’t expect any sort of help from Honda as it is way past 10yr ext warranty… Good luck with your old Honda's if you still want to have them!

Jeffrey Johnson 11-25-2019 03:50 PM

My son purchased a 2007 Honda Civic in late 2018. After putting only 2600 miles on it , it has started leaking antifreeze and after taking it to a Honda dealer, it has been diagnosed with a crack in the engine block. Before the car was purchased i checked the Honda website and saw only recalls for airbags. Since the warranty was extended from 3 to 10 years, Honda corporate accepts no responsibility, and at this point has declined any assistance whatsoever. I'm looking to contact any other customers who purchased the car after the 10 year warranty expired and have since had the engine crack problem. The extended warranty and the fact that Honda makes no reference to it on their website, does not help any person who purchases the vehicle beyond that time. Is there anywhere that I can obtain that information for possible class action lawsuit? Thank you.

Gregomatic 11-25-2019 10:39 PM

Jeffery, don't feel alone. I just bought an 07 Civic coupe with a cracked block and I'm looking for some of the same answers.
I think now I have it titled I will take it to a Honda dealer, give them the VIN# and ask what all recalls the vehicle has had and just ask questions from there.
I'm hoping to find them friendly and helpful. As I find out things I will report them here if you'd like. To the previous posters on this thread,
I hope we aren't hijacking the thread, but it's been kinda quiet since Dec. '11.
I'm rather hoping that by reviving the thread maybe we can get some fresh eyes on it!
Cheers, Grego.

NorCalTRD 12-09-2019 01:36 AM

My wife purchased an 07 civic brand new. In early 2018 after putting about 200k on it, we got her a new vehicle. I sold my old car, and took the civic as a cheap daily driver. Well, just 5 months later, the car started overheating. I thought it was just because it needed coolant (it hadn't had any issues previously), so added coolant. Time went by and it overheated again. Wasn't dropping any coolant on the ground, so i thought i just didn't add enough last time. Well, it wasn't long before it needed more coolant. Because it wasn't putting any coolant on the ground and there was coolant in the oil, I thought it was a head gasket. So I ordered and replaced the head gasket with a new one.

Nope, symptom came back. Now I have found this "recall" Honda issued. All the symptoms I have seem to line up with the cracked block (I believe that its cracked behind the oil/air separator cover), i will be reaching out to Honda once i confirm its cracked. Even with the 10 year extended warranty, this civic didn't show any signs of this issue until it was 11+ years old. :shrug:

Found this letter sent to Civic owners posted to NHTSA's website.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56874-2558.pdf
Hopefully the phone number still works. ;)

Anyway, just wanted to let the others know who've been posting on this thread, they're not alone. Still sucks, though.:hithead:

NorCalTRD 12-09-2019 01:47 AM

My wife purchased an 07 civic brand new. In early 2018 after putting about 200k on it, we got her a new vehicle. I sold my old car, and took the civic as a cheap daily driver. Well, just 5 months later, the car started overheating. I thought it was just because it needed coolant (it hadn't had any issues previously), so added coolant. Time went by and it overheated again. Wasn't dropping any coolant on the ground, so i thought i just didn't add enough last time. Well, it wasn't long before it needed more coolant. Because it wasn't putting any coolant on the ground and there was coolant in the oil, I thought it was a head gasket. So I ordered and replaced the head gasket with a new one.

Nope, symptom came back. Now I have found this "recall" Honda issued. All the symptoms I have seem to line up with the cracked block (I believe that its cracked behind the oil/air separator cover), i will be reaching out to Honda once i confirm its cracked. Even with the 10 year extended warranty, this civic didn't show any signs of this issue until it was 11+ years old. :shrug:

Found this letter sent to Civic owners posted to NHTSA's website.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56874-2558.pdf
Hopefully the phone number still works. ;)

Anyway, just wanted to let the others know who've been posting on this thread, they're not alone. Still sucks, though.:hithead:

SCFred 01-10-2020 07:18 PM

Just curious if you found any relief from Honda. My 2006 Civic block was just diagnosed with a crack, 156k miles. I suspect I'm screwed, but wonder if anyone has had luck after the 10 year warranty extension.

NorCalTRD 01-25-2020 09:05 PM

I think i just confirmed my wife's 07 block is cracked today. My wife purchased it Feb 2007 and it only started having cooling issues late spring 2018.

This is the best pic i was able get of the oil/air separator with the cover removed. What do you guys think? Cracked?
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...cb2f0add33.jpg
Cracked R18 Block. 07 Civic Oil/Air Separator with Cover Removed.

Knowing this is well outside of Honda's warranty extension, I will be reaching out to Honda early next week to see if there are any options.

BrotatoChip 01-27-2020 06:33 AM

If you're talking about the lines in about the middle of the pic that just looks like casting imperfections to me, doesn't looked cracked. Look for TSB 10-048, it shows pictures of where the crack would be.

https://www.8thcivic.com/attachments...48-pdf.139330/

SCFred 06-08-2020 04:10 PM

Well I can answer my own question from January '20. My mechanic diagoned a block crack in my 2006 Civic. I called Honda to see if they might provide partial compensation. They said they couldn't tell me until I got the crack diagnosed by a Honda dealer, which cost me about $80. With that redundant test results, Honda said, No, they could not provide any compensation. Thanks for nothing!

Adam Benjamin 02-08-2021 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SCFred (Post 4771156)
Just curious if you found any relief from Honda. My 2006 Civic block was just diagnosed with a crack, 156k miles. I suspect I'm screwed, but wonder if anyone has had luck after the 10 year warranty extension.

This same exact issue just happened to me today to my 06 Civic w/ 152k miles on it. My car began overheating and leaking coolant and the AAA service technician who looked at it told me that I would need a new engine. Wondering if you found out anything else for what to do in this situation?

FRSam 02-08-2021 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Benjamin (Post 4784376)
This same exact issue just happened to me today to my 06 Civic w/ 152k miles on it. My car began overheating and leaking coolant and the AAA service technician who looked at it told me that I would need a new engine. Wondering if you found out anything else for what to do in this situation?

The technician is probably correct. As other comments have revealed, Honda is no longer accommodating for failing engines as the cars are now 12+ years old.

SCFred 02-08-2021 05:05 PM

When I tried to get some relief for my cracked 2006 engine block, which had been diagnosed by a very good mechanic, Honda said I had to have it diagnosed at a Honda dealership. So I paid the $80 or $90 minimum service charge to get it diagnosed again, only to have Honda then tell me that they wouldn't cover it because it was out of warranty. Thanks a bunch!

Aelsel 12-12-2021 09:31 AM

I just found out I have the same problem with a 2008 Civic with only 45,000 original miles. I just bought it from a dealer about 2 years ago. There really should have been a recall notice after the warranty was up for 10 years. It should have stayed on as a recall . What is the point of a car fax or other documentation that the DMV would have about car wrecks and other things of that nature if something as horrible as this is should have stayed on there just like the airbags are on there.

FRSam 12-12-2021 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aelsel (Post 4795923)
I just found out I have the same problem with a 2008 Civic with only 45,000 original miles. I just bought it from a dealer about 2 years ago. There really should have been a recall notice after the warranty was up for 10 years. It should have stayed on as a recall . What is the point of a car fax or other documentation that the DMV would have about car wrecks and other things of that nature if something as horrible as this is should have stayed on there just like the airbags are on there.

Airbags are a safety concern. Not the same thing at all. I understand what you mean but that’s absolutely not the comparison to make.

The problem is that these cars are almost 15 years old. There’s no reason (in my mind, at least) that Honda needs to warranty their cars this late in the game. Too many variables at this point in a car’s life, regardless of mileage.

Lorenzo.m321 08-07-2023 08:30 AM

not to dig up an old grave but i have an 06 civic that’s nearing the 156k mile apparent death toll that everyone’s been talking about, i haven’t seen any coolant loss or overheating yet but is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening?

sdaidoji 08-07-2023 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo.m321 (Post 4812089)
not to dig up an old grave but i have an 06 civic that’s nearing the 156k mile apparent death toll that everyone’s been talking about, i haven’t seen any coolant loss or overheating yet but is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening?

replace engine

BrotatoChip 08-07-2023 10:32 AM

Another option to prevent the failure is to not drive it :rofl:

You may never have an issue, it's not 100% failure rate.

FRSam 08-07-2023 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo.m321 (Post 4812089)

At this point the odds of it happening are fairly low, and even if it did, it may not be related to the service bulletin. It's a car approaching 20 years old that'll have probably close to 200k miles by then.