Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/360-electronics)
-   -   2012 i-MID issue/service bulletin 13-017 question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/360-electronics/372863-2012-i-mid-issue-service-bulletin-13-017-question.html)

jtrothrock 03-28-2018 11:18 AM

2012 i-MID issue/service bulletin 13-017 question

1 Attachment(s)
I have an issue with the i-MID display on my 2012 LX. I have read there is an update for all LX and HF models of that year that fixes the issue of the A/B trip odometer and mileage not being displayed. The problem I have been experiencing is that this information will not be displayed for the first 10-20 seconds after I crank the car then will eventually show up. The same goes for the mileage left in tank display. Additionally, the A/B trip odometer will flicker occasionally and now that I am at 15% oil life, the service reminder cycles on and off every 30 seconds or so, even if I hit the information button to shrink it. Obviously this last issue is quite annoying and I was wondering if the update will fix this or if this is something more major/different issue. I have attached a video showing what it is now doing. Please help. Thank you!

GolNat 03-29-2018 10:45 AM

Re: 2012 i-MID issue/service bulletin 13-017 question

Did you contact a local dealer and ask about it?

jtrothrock 03-29-2018 11:02 AM

Yes, they said not sure it was due to the software as the displays did not stay off as typical with this service bulletin. I went thru the procedure and checked my software version and it is the old one. I was insistent on them just doing that much and seeing if it fixed it however they wanted to try and get me to pay for them to do expensive troubleshooting. I just wanted a second opinion on if this seems to be consistent with the symptoms of this service bulletin given both dealerships' insistence on extensive troubleshooting instead of just performing the update I asked about.

GolNat 03-29-2018 11:32 AM

Do you have a copy of the service bulletin? I cant seem to find it.

jtrothrock 03-29-2018 12:10 PM

Here you go.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...0800f2dd8d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...3cbd7033d6.jpg

ezone 03-29-2018 12:14 PM

If you walked in and asked for a wheel alignment, would they try to get some crap diagnostic fee beforehand? No.

How about you insist your dealer simply updates the software, with no extra diagnosis. The customer is always right, and all that.

Then tell them if it doesn't solve the issue you have, you'll return to have them check further for their checkout fee. But you want the update done first, and you'll gladly pay for that.

If they still don't want to take your money, you're free to check other dealers with the same approach. SOMEONE will want to take your money.

Make sure you know both the current and updated software versions so you can make sure it got updated before you leave their parking lot.

ezone 03-29-2018 12:17 PM

I just wanted a second opinion on if this seems to be consistent with the symptoms of this service bulletin
IMO it doesn't match exactly. I haven't really seen many in a state of failure though.

Many people get it to work with a battery disconnect, and it works right for a while again.

john caudell 02-21-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4742650)
Did you contact a local dealer and ask about it?

What a great forum answer!

or

Why not order part number 07AAZ-TR0A300 from the dealer and follow the Service Bulletin 13-017 instead. It's a thumb drive with an update to address that specific issue. (Read the service bulletin before ordering to see if it applies just to be sure)
Or you could as suggested go to the dealer and pay for a diag and then they might do this, depending on the level of tech assigned to your car.

jtrothrock 02-21-2019 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by john caudell (Post 4758759)
What a great forum answer!

or

Why not order part number 07AAZ-TR0A300 from the dealer and follow the Service Bulletin 13-017 instead. It's a thumb drive with an update to address that specific issue. (Read the service bulletin before ordering to see if it applies just to be sure)
Or you could as suggested go to the dealer and pay for a diag and then they might do this, depending on the level of tech assigned to your car.

I ended up talking the dealer into doing it. My VIN didn't come up as needing it but I annoyed them until they submitted and actually looked at the vehicle to verify the version. Once they saw the all knowing VIN guide was wrong they did the upgrade. It fixed the issue and no problems since. If I knew you could order rhe part I probably would have done it myself. Just to save rhe headache.