Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Rear window tint is messing with radio (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/56101-rear-window-tint-messing-radio.html)

Boilermaker1 09-26-2002 03:32 PM

Rear window tint is messing with radio

I just picked up my car from the tint shop yesterday. Since then, the radio has been very fuzzy, and the range of reception has been cut way back. I used to make it all the way to work on the same station, but I lost it about 1/2 way there. Same for all the others I usually scan through. The tint shop said that it could have something to do with the glue still not being totally dry, or that the wires may not have been securely re-attached. Honda says the antenna wires run through the headliner, so loose wires isn't the problem. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, what fixed it? Its 35% non-metallic tint.

turboslug 09-26-2002 09:56 PM

i have 2 friends getting their cars tinted at the same place...

on one car, it's easily installed...on the civic, the shop said they have to remove the civic rear window to apply the tint(not sure why...i bet it had something to do with the FM antenna being on the windows)...

Boilermaker1 09-26-2002 10:42 PM

Hmmm... They didn't have to take mine out. And when I called honda, they said it was done the right way. i took it to the same place the dealer would have, but I paid about 1/4 what they would have charged. This looks like one for Honda to figure out....

TopFuel 09-27-2002 03:05 PM

i have 6% half metal half dyed tint in my rear and radio reception is perfect [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Got it done at a really good place for tint on all windows for $

windowtint 10-05-2002 03:15 AM

so your radio "don't work" now.... why does the window tinter take the fall for everything that goes wrong on a car for the next 6 months after the windows get done??

HE'S A WINDOW TINTER. He tint's WINDOWS. Did he tint the headliner too? no? ok then... HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT... it's called a coincidence.

we get a million of these cases ... "uh... yeah... i got my car tinted there... and my A/C just don't seem to be as cold as it was before I tinted it...." ~:shake::shake:

Boilermaker1 10-05-2002 09:19 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: windowtint
so your radio "don't work" now.... why does the window tinter take the fall for everything that goes wrong on a car for the next 6 months after the windows get done??

HE'S A WINDOW TINTER. He tint's WINDOWS. Did he tint the headliner too? no? ok then... HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT... it's called a coincidence.

we get a million of these cases ... "uh... yeah... i got my car tinted there... and my A/C just don't seem to be as cold as it was before I tinted it...." ~:shake::shake:[hr]
why does he take the fall? if he did something to the wires in the window, which are the antenna, then he is responsible. it's in the warranty. if it happens to be something in the headliner, then no, that's Honda's problem. But if he cuts a wire accidentally, or damages something while he's putting the tint on, then the tint place takes responsibility for it. The radio works, it has to do with lack of reception and static. typically if you're losing the signal, or it cuts in and out with in 15 miles of an FM tower, than there is a reception problem, which is related to the ANTENNA, which is in the back window, which was tinted. Therefore, anything wrong with it, becomes their fault. I didn't write the contract or the warranty. I just read what it says.

solar 10-07-2002 03:31 PM

I'm good friends with the Tint guy in my neighborhood, he told me that you have to be very carefull not to cut the antenna wire in the rear window. He had to replace the rear window on a 01 he did earlier that year, as far as having to remove the window to tint it, I think that if a window tint guy has to remove the window he isn't very good to begin with.

JoeyCrack 10-07-2002 03:55 PM

When i turn on my rear defroster my radio gets pretty fuzzy!!!!!

turboslug 10-07-2002 10:04 PM

i just found out why they removed the window to install the tint....
they wanted the brake light area also tinted....(i'd thought you'd be able to just remove the brake light though)

oh well..not my car....i don't really care...

windowtint 10-07-2002 10:48 PM

uhh... i think you may have misunderstood... no tinter would remove the back window in an '01 Civic to tint behind the brake light.... he removed the rear deck under the window.. not the rear window itself... if HE DID.. the guy's a total MORON. Any tinter with any skill has a 1/2 dozen various toolds that will reach behind the deck without even have to remove it.

as far as the antenna being on the rear window... the onyl antenna on the rear glass IS THE AM RADIO ANTENNA... not the FM. ~ also.. WHY IN THE HELL WAS HE CUTTING ON THE REAR WINDOW?? You actually paid someone MONEY to tint the back window on an 01 civic in multiple peices??? You either bought a $59 job, or again, found a crappy window tinter... or both...

(and yes... in addition to having tinted more 01+ civics than are even registered here.. I own one too...) ~ so, all is known from first hand and daily used knowledge.

turboslug 10-08-2002 12:59 AM

uhh... i think you may have misunderstood... no tinter would remove the back window in an '01 Civic to tint behind the brake light.... he removed the rear deck under the window.. not the rear window itself... if HE DID.. the guy's a total MORON. Any tinter with any skill has a 1/2 dozen various toolds that will reach behind the deck without even have to remove it.

as far as the antenna being on the rear window... the onyl antenna on the rear glass IS THE AM RADIO ANTENNA... not the FM. ~ also.. WHY IN THE HELL WAS HE CUTTING ON THE REAR WINDOW?? You actually paid someone MONEY to tint the back window on an 01 civic in multiple peices??? You either bought a $59 job, or again, found a crappy window tinter... or both...

(and yes... in addition to having tinted more 01+ civics than are even registered here.. I own one too...) ~ so, all is known from first hand and daily used knowledge.[hr]
i'd say it's just a crappy tinter...again, i don't really care...it wasn't even my car that got tinted...

if it were my car, of course i won't let them remove my rear window...that's just stupid...

solar 10-08-2002 09:27 AM

(and yes... in addition to having tinted more 01+ civics than are even registered here.. I own one too...) ~ so, all is known from first hand and daily used knowledge.[hr]
He put in a solid piece of Tint, the reason why he was cutting it, "Its called Trimming" he had a small piece in the corner that needed to be Trimmed, my tint guy has been doing this work for over 20 years at the same shop, I think he knows what he is doing. BTW since you seem to like to comment on peoples thread without knowing the whole story, it was one of his employees that cut the Antenna. Also the FM antenna is in the rear window, its the same one as the AM, if you don't believe me, look in a Civic Service Manual, in printed there in Black and White.

Blingin01Civic 10-08-2002 10:16 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: JoeyCrack
When i turn on my rear defroster my radio gets pretty fuzzy!!!!![hr]
Same fckin thing happens to me, I just noticed it the other day too. Not too sure if it has something to do with the tint or not, and i just got my windows tinted last month...hmmm

windowtint 11-01-2002 11:11 PM

ummm??? Solar????

20 years "experience" DOES NOT equal competence.... That is clearly demonstrated if a "competent" widow tinter let an obviously unskilled tinter do the work under his (lack of) supervision.

you say " BTW since you seem to like to comment on peoples thread without knowing the whole story,"... are you mentally handicapped???? Do you not think I read the ENTIRE thread before commenting?? And would your dumbass have happened to have notice that the only time I throw in my $.02 around here is on window tint related issues??

Stupidity should be painful Solar.

And FYI ... Since you're a Tampa area boy, I might just happen to know your tint buddy. Considering I lived on Sand Key for a good while and worked at SGI over on Automobile Dr. (it's a major film company, no known as Baekarts) on the other side of the Courtney-Campbell ~ so

Good chance I know him ~ there aren't many old-time window tinters in the country I DON'T know...

my point ~ so YES, I DO know what I am talking about (with window tint)... more than any other tinter you'll ever hope to know.

About the "trimming"... since you bring it up... actually.. NO, THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S CALLED! You NEVER cut on the inside, EVER! No excuses for doing so. ("trimming" is what is done on the OUTSIDE before you shape the film. Edging is what you do after it's shaped to make it ready for install. Cutting on the inside, that's called "covering up your mistake".)

feel free to learn how tinting is actually done, visit WINDOW TINTER'S MESSAGE FORUMS

NickDaMans02Civic 11-04-2002 12:37 AM

Humm yeah my AM reception sucks really bad compared to most of the cars I have driven in but besides that my 6% limo tint all around is excellent

Nick

Black02 11-04-2002 04:07 PM

Damn, I wouldn't even recommend a tint job by Windowtint to somebody I hated. This clown seems like a real professional tinter:_please:

azn2k1civic 11-05-2002 01:34 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Notorious
Damn, I wouldn't even recommend a tint job by Windowtint to somebody I hated. This clown seems like a real professional tinter:_please:[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

if my windows weren't tinted...i'd actually trust windowtint too....he sure does sound like he's very knowledgable about this "field of work"

windowtint 11-27-2002 01:14 AM

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

naww.. it aint all that... I just happen to KNOW tinting ~ and take a huge amount of satisfaction in knowing that I am good at what I do.... very good. NOTICE I DID NOT SAY "THE BEST! ~ no one IMHO is "the best" at what they do... you'll always find someone who can teach you something new... right when you THOUGHT you knew it all!!

anyhow... I don't question lawyers on their jurisprudence, nor would I look cross-eyed at my Oncologist if he said I had cancer... it's their job to know these things... take it as gospel.

I'm not around to ruffle feathers and/argue with folks... last thing I want to waste my time on ~ I just chime in from time to time on topics (window tinting) that I know... and only on things I know I know (LOL)... you got a tint question.. I can answer it... wanna know something about sway bars and etc? ask someone else...

If you're ever in the S. AL. area... I'll be happy to work on your car... I would bet you'd be hard pressed to find another tinter anywhere in the country with 15 years experience (and not even 30 yet), a tinter who has developed/invented a good portion of the methods used in tinting, one who is more picky than any customer ever could be, does all glass in one peice, leaves NO edge gaps... ANYWHERE (not even on roll-ups), tucks film 2+ inches in doors (they NEVER peel!), can freehand any graphic design into film... or find a tinter who has trained dozens of other guys (and a few ladies) from CA to OR, NV, WA, TX, FL, AL, MS, LA, GA.... all in person and all leaving and living well above the national average now (by tinting my way and listening to exactly what I told them to do). And last but not least ... the ONLY tinter who has personal letters of endorsement from 4 of the top film manufacturers and from the president of the IWFA (the place where ya'll got your tint law chart link from).

I know... brag*brag*brag.... sorry... not the point.. only illustrating that you can trust I know my 5hit... that's about all I know... but I know it well! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

well.. peace :tup:

DBDIJON 11-27-2002 11:11 AM

Holy Crap is everyone getting stressed enough. I don`t tint windows for a living so I`m not real sure of the procedures that they go through, but I do put in stereos for a living. I do know that the antenna cable is not run through the headliner. The power receiver box is under the rear pillar cover on the passenger side of the car. Pop off that plastic piece and check it out. You can follow the traces to the rear window and see where it is soldered together. Check all connections. If any are cut or loose and your tinter is the only one that has been back in there then blame him. Also if you have changed your deck check how the antenna plugs into the deck, is it loose? If there is any doubt who is to blame for the problems shut your piehole and get it fixed.

AR 11-28-2002 12:56 AM

http://www.lamer.net/arguing.jpg

VHunter 12-01-2002 10:01 AM

That retarded kid picture is GREAT!!! hahahahaha