Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Oil leak top of engine left side (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/369763-oil-leak-top-engine-left-side.html)

John Vyhnalek 04-03-2017 01:15 PM

Oil leak top of engine left side

2 Attachment(s)
Took my failing starter off to find oil had been leaking directly onto it. This looks like the source of the leak. I'm gonna replace the valve cover because that's my best idea. Please help.

CraigW 04-03-2017 01:33 PM

Re: Oil leak top of engine left side

I would clean around the black plug..... then check it later.

It looks as if there is oil around the bottom area of that plug.

Colin42 04-03-2017 02:53 PM

Agree with CraigW, that plug is a very common leak area, buy a new one and reseal it

GusBuz 04-03-2017 03:15 PM

When you replace it, look for an aluminum plug those will last longer than a replacement exactly the same.

I replaced one of these on my wife's crv and it began to leak a few months after. The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it. This time I looked for an aluminum plug online and replaced it with that, its been leak free ever since :tup::cool:

ezone 04-03-2017 06:33 PM

The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it.
That's weird, someone may have been a little careless and broken it during install or service?
The rubber O ring will usually last 100k or so like the rest of the rubber seals.

GusBuz 04-03-2017 06:42 PM

The plastic plug was brittle and broke easily when i was inspecting it, so I chose a metal plug with o rings to be done with it

ezone 04-03-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by GusBuz (Post 4722062)
The plastic plug was brittle and broke easily when i was inspecting it, so I chose a metal plug with o rings to be done with it

Oh ya, the plastic does get brittle with age (thermal cycles), upon removal at least one of the barbs almost always snaps off.
But once that sucker is installed it's not intended to come back out, until it needs replaced.

I like these better than the large round rubber coated plug in my old Mazda truck engine that oozes oil.

Hondoyota 04-18-2017 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by GusBuz (Post 4722050)
When you replace it, look for an aluminum plug those will last longer than a replacement exactly the same.

I replaced one of these on my wife's crv and it began to leak a few months after. The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it. This time I looked for an aluminum plug online and replaced it with that, its been leak free ever since :tup::cool:

​​​​​​Have a link to where you got yours? Have a part # or name? Let us know if the aluminum replacement is common enough to find at a typical AutoZone type store.

GusBuz 04-18-2017 02:06 PM

I found it on Ebay, just type in civic cam plug and you should see many there. I personally got one with three rubber o-rings on it so there is less of a chance of leaks.