Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   what is this ? 2001 ex (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364973-what-2001-ex.html)

bhollie 08-22-2015 02:07 PM

what is this ? 2001 ex

when i hit a bump the steering column shakes and rattles... doesnt do it while driving on smooth roads or at high speeds just on the rougher stuff... has new tires, doesnt seem to have any suspension problems.. alignment is ok..

any ideas?

thanks

emich 08-24-2015 05:56 AM

Re: what is this ? 2001 ex

Originally Posted by bhollie (Post 4691455)
when i hit a bump the steering column shakes and rattles... doesnt do it while driving on smooth roads or at high speeds just on the rougher stuff... has new tires, doesnt seem to have any suspension problems.. alignment is ok..

any ideas?

thanks

Wheel bearings

RIPSAW 08-24-2015 06:14 AM

Steering column is loose? How big is the bump?

bhollie 08-24-2015 07:11 AM

wheels bearings? how would that affect the steering?
the bumps arent that big but the bigger the bump the more it does it..

emich 08-24-2015 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by bhollie (Post 4691593)
wheels bearings? how would that affect the steering?
the bumps arent that big but the bigger the bump the more it does it..

It is uncommon wheel bearings to cause this. However I am facing now the same problem. It took years for the grinding cyclical noise typical for damaged wheel bearings to appear. Before that I was thinking about anything else but the wheel bearings.

bhollie 08-24-2015 09:38 AM

well it does have 177k on it.. Im sure they are originals.. but i bet they are expensive to replace being that i cant do it myself..

is there anything else it could be? dont want to waste the money unless i have to...

thanks

emich 08-24-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bhollie (Post 4691598)
well it does have 177k on it.. Im sure they are originals.. but i bet they are expensive to replace being that i cant do it myself..

is there anything else it could be? dont want to waste the money unless i have to...

thanks

Wait it's going to get worse and you can identify it easier.

ezone 08-24-2015 10:13 PM

is there anything else it could be?
Yep, could be lots of things.

dont want to waste the money unless i have to...
Diagnose what really is wrong.
Or pay for accurate diagnosis

Nobody here can see/hear/feel whatever is going on in your car.

bhollie 11-11-2015 05:31 PM

yeah,,, thanks man.. i realize that.... just wanted some suggestions...

anyway.....wanted to post an update.. been putting up with the noise for a while.. found out my civic is the one with the airbag recall. brought it in, they put the new air bag in.. and poof! no more column rattle... weird right? maybe something was loose with the old airbag assembly or the column itself they wouldve tightened up while installing it... ? anyhow... on to the next noise!!!