Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn off (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364450-replaced-actuator-now-auto-locks-after-i-turn-car-auto-locks-when-turn-off.html)

h4ldol 06-29-2015 01:24 PM

Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn off

I changed the actuator on the driver's side of my 02 coupe with an actuator I bought off ebay that is supposedly an OEM actuator. Anyway, it seems to work fine and my power locks work fine again with the key fob, but I noticed two things that are different from before the actuator failed a few weeks ago:

1. The doors now auto-lock after I put the engine in ACC or turn it on, about 1-2 seconds after. They also auto-unlock when the engine is turned off.

2. When the engine is on, I cannot use the internal lock switch (driver side) to unlock the doors. It does nothing unless I turn off the engine, and then (see #1 above) the doors auto-unlock. I can't really remember if this was the case before replacing the actuator.

Is this likely something wrong with the installation or something else problematic, or is there some other explanation?

ezone 06-29-2015 08:02 PM

Re: Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn

Get rid of the aftermarket (locks, alarm, whatever) unit. Dig under the dash, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

h4ldol 06-30-2015 09:29 AM

Re: Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4688064)
Get rid of the aftermarket (locks, alarm, whatever) unit. Dig under the dash, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I do have an alarm but do you think that it would change how/when it arms/locks without having been re-configured/programmed? I noticed today that it is the key turning (to the second "stop", which is ACC I guess?) that locks the doors and turning the other way that unlocks the doors. I guess it's useful actually but mostly I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that there was something wrong with the installation.

CraigW 06-30-2015 10:20 AM

^^^^ If you had the battery loose it may have defaulted its settings to what you have now.

An easy test would be locate alarm control and disconnect it, then try.

h4ldol 06-30-2015 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4688101)
^^^^ If you had the battery loose it may have defaulted its settings to what you have now.

An easy test would be locate alarm control and disconnect it, then try.

Thanks, appreciate the input. I did disconnect the battery numerous times so that could be it. I will give it a try later.

ezone 06-30-2015 06:07 PM

^^What he said! LOL