Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Random engine hiccups & loss of power steering after PS & ALT belt change...related? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/355329-random-engine-hiccups-loss-power-steering-after-ps-alt-belt-change-related.html)

Ohiosierra 05-07-2013 09:26 PM

Random engine hiccups & loss of power steering after PS & ALT belt change...related?

Hi,

I am not too mechanically inclined but I like to learn so I am trying to fix things myself as they come up. For this issue I did some searching on the forums and online but its hard to describe so I haven't come up with anything.

7th gen civic with 140K.

About 3 weeks ago I had belt squealing and I had previously noticed the alternator / ac belt was worn, so I replaced it. In doing so I noticed the PS belt was also very worn (but didnt have the part) so when the squeal came back I replaced that one too, and also tried to tighten up the alt belt since it seemed a tad loose.

It was fine until a few days ago, when I noticed a little bit of engine hesitation (in terms of noise, soon after starting, sitting at a stop sign, it just wasnt constant and smooth like normal, but only a bit off). A couple of miles later the power steering seemed to cut out mid turn, I couldn't really adjust the turn for a couple of seconds but then it kicked back in.

Twice since both of those things have happened -- some engine hesitatation or "shuddering" (once where I was moving and could feel a 1/2 second loss of power), and separately the power steering going out.

If it was just the PS, I would think I did something wrong with the belt. Could both be related? Seems like a coincidence right after I mess with the things that one of my problems is related.

I have a lot of guesses, but no mechanical knowledge to back them up. Maybe one of the bearings on the Alt or PS belt system is messed up, creating some kind of extra burden on the engine? Maybe I'm not getting the belts tight enough and they are slowly loosening?

Any thoughts I appreciate!

mikey1 05-08-2013 06:09 AM

Re: Random engine hiccups & loss of power steering after PS & ALT belt change...relat

Originally Posted by Ohiosierra (Post 4639969)
Maybe I'm not getting the belts tight enough and they are slowly loosening?

there is a guage you can buy to check for proper belt tension, and the proper belt tension specs are in the service manual, if you dont have a service manual, buy one, it sounds like it will be of great value to you,

personally i can just go by feel but im very experienced and it sounds like you are not, so i would suggest buying this tool and checking the belt tension,

also make sure all of your mounting bolts on the alternator and power steering pump are torqued properly to their specs using a torque wrench, again, if you dont have one, buy one,

Ohiosierra 05-08-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Random engine hiccups & loss of power steering after PS & ALT belt change...relat

Thanks.

I will go get a torque wrench (finally) and belt tension gauge. I do already have the service manual.

In the mean time, does it make any sense that engine hesitation or stuttering could be related? Can things like the PS Pump "stick" and cause the engine to have trouble?