Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   04 Civic won't start after I installed ignition cylinder switch (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/354809-04-civic-wont-start-after-i-installed-ignition-cylinder-switch.html)

Surfhockey 04-01-2013 06:13 PM

04 Civic won't start after I installed ignition cylinder switch

I installed a new ignition cylinder switch in my 2004 Honda Civic. After I installed it, the key turned fine and the car turned over easily, but wouldn't start. The car was sitting for about 3-4 weeks. I checked all of the connections and everything seemed to be connected.I'm not mechanically gifted, so I would appreciate any feedback to help get my car running again. Thank you.

ezone 04-01-2013 08:43 PM

Re: 04 Civic won't start after I installed ignition cylinder switch

I could have rebuilt that ignition lock for a price. Too late now though.

You need to:
Tow it to a dealer.

The keys and immobilizer MUST be programmed to the PCM before the PCM will enable the engine to run. Your new lock and keys are not programmed to your PCM.

Alternate: If you are in a large city, there could be a locksmith that has invested in the tooling needed to program these. Call around and ask.
I know in my town the dealer is the only place to get this programmed.

HTH

Surfhockey 04-02-2013 12:09 AM

Thank you so much! I was really lost. I'm going to check all of that out!

Surfhockey 04-06-2013 10:09 AM

Thanks so much! I had it towed to the dealer and they charged me $65. Not too bad. Now, unfortunately, my air bag light won't turn off. Any suggestions?

ezone 04-06-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfhockey (Post 4637387)
Thanks so much! I had it towed to the dealer and they charged me $65. Not too bad. Now, unfortunately, my air bag light won't turn off. Any suggestions?

That's a darned reasonable price for that service IMO.

Hmm. If the tech that programmed it was a *cough* nice guy, he might have checked the code while the scanner was already plugged in.
(OR maybe that already happened, but only to make certain it wasn't his fault and you weren't informed of this because you didn't authorize that work. IDK. We do that sometimes just to cover our own asses. If the tech noticed the light on, it should have been mentioned to you and suggested to address the issue before the close of the deal IMHO.)

Search for how to read (and reset) your airbag codes on this site or google, I know it's been covered in the recent past here.

Get the flash code and post it back here.
If it isn't a seat belt buckle code, I'll probably tell you to just erase the code and see if it comes back in the near future. Many times a code can be caused by something as simple as low battery voltage.

HTH

cmay88 04-12-2016 06:28 PM

this same exact thing just happened to me. I got a used ignition cylinder from a junk yard, read up on it and it sounded like you would have to have the key programmed...called a couple honda dealerships, they said since the new lock cylinder came from another vehicle and wasnt new, the key that came with the used one would work fine because it was already programmed for that switch. (basically saying you only needed to have a key programmed if it was a new cylinder and switch). so i replaced it and the engine turned but wouldn't start... anyways, i have a used ignition lock cylinder now, the problem with it is that the key doesn't like to go in, you have to fight it for a while, which is why i replaced it

ezone 04-12-2016 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cmay88 (Post 4705871)
anyways, i have a used ignition lock cylinder now, the problem with it is that the key doesn't like to go in, you have to fight it for a while, which is why i replaced it

Sounds like it needs new tumblers in the lock, and possibly has a worn key that complicates the tumbler problems.

Same reason you replaced it in the first place?

A good dealer should be able to replace tumblers in the original lock. It's not tough, but many dealer personnel don't know a tumbler kit exists.

cmay88 04-12-2016 07:03 PM

I have 3 sets of keys and none of them want to go in. I called 3 different dealerships they all said my only option was to replace the whole ignition lock cylinder which, as i'm sure you know, aren't cheap. So i was able to find one at a junk yard for next to nothing. Any recommendations on what to do with the old one then?

ezone 04-12-2016 07:24 PM

Where are you located?
I make good money retumbling those locks.

cmay88 04-12-2016 07:35 PM

southeastern ohio

ezone 04-12-2016 07:51 PM

Could you be more specific? I know some Honda techs in that state....Thought maybe I could steer you to someone that can fix it.

Which dealers did you check?

I'm almost afraid to tell you to send it to me so I can retumble it.

cmay88 04-12-2016 08:10 PM

Near Cambridge. I checked with zanesville, new Philadelphia, and Heath

ezone 04-12-2016 08:54 PM

Closest I see in my little group where anyone stuck a pin on the map is Columbus, and that person hasn't answered my message yet.
I see several on the west side of the state.

My experience has been about 50/50. Some will fix the ignition locks, some don't. (Locksmith isn't in our job description LOL)

Which lock/keys are currently programmed to the car?

ezone 04-13-2016 08:38 AM

A lock shop would be able to remove the offending tumblers even if they do not have replacement tumblers.
Maybe a lock shop has a set of Hondas sidewinder tumblers, you'd have to call around and ask.
(In my town the dealer is the only place that has them.)

You (or the lock shop) could remove ALL of the tumblers from the lock cylinder if you wanted.....you or anyone else would be able to turn the switch on with a screwdriver BUT the engine cannot run without a valid programmed key so that's pretty safe....but a bad tumbler would never hang up again.

Bog Loc 09-15-2017 09:52 PM

I got 2002 Honda Accord my car was driving and starting up just fine until I broke my lock cylinder broke so I got then my original key broke so a locksmith came in brought my a key and programed it now it won't start up at all it will turn over

Any suggestions

Jeff Rosen 10-04-2019 01:19 PM

This thread is old, but because the design flaw in the lock is still actively used, I would like to chime in.

1. The ignition lock should be removed, torn down on the bench, all graphite, wd40 and other contaminants, along with the lock segments ( tumblers/wafers) removed, and banks 3,4,5 and six replaced with NEW OEM Segments. Nearly all locksmiths that are Auto-Centric will have a Honda Factory kit, something not all dealers have. We found aftermarket service kits for this lock design are not made properly. The lock is then lubricated before being reassembled, with a petroleum jelly lube, as specified.

2. All keys should be RESHELLED at the SAME TIME as ignition service. This means the blade and plastic are new, cut to the OEM FACTORY CODE, and the chips in the old keys get moved over into the new. No programming is needed. If keys had a remote in the head, those can be reshelled, as well. For MANY Honda and Acura keys, a STRONGER shell is available, which will not separate, another common ailment.

Ignition is now 95% New condition, and should provide decent service life, due to being void of the segments at the very front of the lock, where distortions occurred.
On rare occasion, lock is damaged beyond repair, and a cylinder CORE will be replaced, and matched as described above.

Locksmiths like to match the ignition to original coding, unless keys were STOLEN, then all locks get rekeyed. Most dealers to not recode ignitions, unless they send it out to a locksmith. There may be some rare exceptions, but the ignition is not easy to take apart and reassemble correctly, unless you are very experienced.

Associated Locksmiths of America has a free locksmith locator. I will not post it here, because I have been banned from other forums for supplying the link, even though it was to HELP the members of the forum. Google the association, then look for the findalocksmith link.

I am not disparaging Honda Motor Company. They make some of the most reliable cars in the world. They just seem to have made a bad selection on lock design. This should be the biggest problem most people will have. That ain't so bad!