Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Reading SRS Codes (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/341195-reading-srs-codes.html)

green01civic 05-27-2011 10:39 AM

Reading SRS Codes

Reading SRS Codes
Unfortunately, we don't all have access to OBD-II readers that also do SRS codes. Hopefully this will aid some people in the diagnosis and repair of their vehicles.

Symptom-based Troubleshooting
4-door
SRS indicator light does not come on
SRS indicator light stays on after the ignition switch is turned on (II)
(editing in progress)

5-door
SRS indicator light does not come on
SRS indicator light stays on after the ignition switch is turned on (II)
(editing in progress)

DTC-based Troubleshooting
1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF and wait for 10 seconds.
2. Bridge OBD-II connector pins 9 and 4 with a paperclip or a suitable short length of wire.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The SRS indicator light comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes off. Then it will indicate the DTC.
4. Read the DTC. There will be a set of slow flashes, followed by a set of fast flashes.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF and wait for 10 seconds. Then remove your paperclip jumper (or wire) from the OBD-II connector.

DTC Code Lists:
NEC (M2), DENSO (M1) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)
SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)
SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3 or M4) SRS unit (Side Airbag with OPDS Unit Model)
SIEMENS (M1 or M2), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Side Airbag without OPDS Unit Model)

10/24/2021 update (from xRiCeBoYx), here's a bit more of an in-depth procedure of how to read the SRS codes:
How it do: (READ THE ENTIRE THING BEFORE PERFORMING. It'll help. I promise)
1) With the engine/car off and key out of ignition, jump pins 4 & 9 on the OBD connector with a paperclip, length of wire with the ends stripped, etc.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...2f2fc9d53.jpeg

2) Turn your key to the "on" position. Don't start it, but just turn it on.

3) Your SRS light is gonna blink. Pay attention to the pattern! Luckily, the SRS light illuminates for 6s (bulb check), shuts off for 3s, then it starts the main code. After the main code, you get a 2s break to relax your eyes, then the sub-code. I'm not 100% sure on what happens after the 3s pause after the sub code, but it likely goes straight into the main code again.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...74ce1e85f.jpeg
  • The first set of blinks (after the bulb check) is gonna be the main code. Could either be slow blinks (1.2s between blinks) or super fast blinks (0.1s between blinks)
    • Count each slow blink as 1
    • Count each set of 4 super fast blinks as 10
    • Add them all together, and you get the main code
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...eb78a5bd51.jpg
  • Second set of blinks is gonna be the main code. Remember, you get a 2s break to compose yourself. lol.
    • These are gonna be about 4x as fast as the slow blinks from the main code (0.3s between blinks)
    • Count each blink as 1
    • Add them together for the sub-code.
After you do all that, you should end up with a [main code]-[sub code] pairing. Match it to the list below, fix whatever issue instead of spray and pray with the parts cannon.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...a2ce079b1b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...7dcb14d889.jpg

green01civic 05-27-2011 10:40 AM

DTC Code List: NEC (M2), DENSO (M1) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)

DTC Code List
NEC (M2), DENSO (M1) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)

DTC, Detection Item
1-1 Open in driver's airbag inflator
1-2 Increased resistance in driver's airbag inflator
1-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in driver's airbag inflator
1-4 Short to power in driver's airbag inflator
1-5 Short to ground in driver's airbag inflator
2-1 Open in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-2 Increased resistance in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-4 Short to power in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-5 Short to ground in front passenger's airbag inflator
3-1 Open in left side seat belt tensioner
3-2 Increased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
3-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
3-4 Short to power in left side seat belt tensioner
3-5 Short to ground in left side seat belt tensioner
4-1 Open in right side seat belt tensioner
4-2 Increased resistance in right side seat belt tensioner
4-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
4-4 Short to power in left side seat belt tensioner
4-5 Short to ground in left side seat belt tensioner
5-1, 5-2, 5-3 (NEC), 5-4, 5-5 (NEC) Internal failure of SRS unit
6-1 (NEC), 6-2 (NEC), 6-3 (NEC), 6-4 Internal failure of SRS unit
7-1, 7-2, 7-3 Internal failure of SRS unit
8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, 8-5, 8-6 Internal failure of SRS unit
NOTE: Before troubleshooting DTCs 5-1 through 8-6, check battery/system voltage. If voltage is low, repair the charging system before troubleshooting the SRS system.
9-1 Internal failure of the SRS unit. If intermittent, could mean internal failure of the unit or a faulty indicator light circuit. Refer to Troubleshooting Intermittent Failures (see page 23-38).
9-2 Internal failure of the SRS unit. If intermittent, could mean internal failure of the power supply (VB line). Refer to Troubleshooting Intermittent Failures
9-6 Faulty left front sensor
9-7 Faulty right front sensor
10-1 Seat belt tensioners (and airbag(s)) deployed

green01civic 05-27-2011 10:41 AM

DTC Code List: SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)

DTC Code List
SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Without Side Airbag Model)

DTC, Detection Item
1-1 Open or increased resistance in driver's airbag inflator
1-5 Short to ground in driver's airbag inflator

(editing in progress)

green01civic 05-27-2011 10:42 AM

DTC Code List: SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3 or M4) SRS unit (Side Airbag with OPDS Unit M

SIEMENS (M1), KEIHIN (M3 or M4) SRS unit (Side Airbag with OPDS Unit Model)

DTC, Detection Item

(editing in progress)

green01civic 05-27-2011 10:45 AM

DTC Code List: SIEMENS (M1 or M2), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Side Airbag without OPDS Uni

SIEMENS (M1 or M2), KEIHIN (M3) SRS unit (Side Airbag without OPDS Unit Model)

DTC, Detection Item

(editing in progress)

MindBomber 05-27-2011 03:22 PM

Re: Reading SRS Codes

Excellent thread. I know there's something similar on the site already, but it's buried in the archives and I can't find it.

mcbakker100 06-10-2011 09:20 PM

Hi all,

I have a question.

I have codes 5-1 and 5-2. I bought a crashed civic and the drivers (steering wheel) and passangers airbags (dash) are out. So I assume i have to replace the both sensors in the front, the airbags and the srs unit.

Why i see only 5-1, 5-2? do i need to change the srs unit first to see the other codes?

Thanks. Greetz, Maarten

Shine. 12-01-2011 03:25 PM

I have no idea how to read my code..Can anyone here give it a shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRmE...el_video_title

04 Honda Civic 12-11-2011 11:40 PM

If I have the "side airbag off" light do I use this method or a different method?

Can I also use the 2 pin connector that is used to reset the code to read it as well? This is what the manual states I believe.

Lastly what would be the code for a bad OPDS?

tempid 03-16-2015 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I followed the steps outlined in this thread got a 9-3 which seems to be the seat buckle issue. I put the seat belt on/off into the buckle and the red symbol went on/off correctly with my actions. Also opened the buckled and blew compressed air into it. I've then erased the code and it airbag light hasn't come up so far.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

HuskyMD 11-19-2017 02:38 PM

I have NOT been in any accidents or hit any curbs hard. I did run over a cat slightly before my SRS light came on. The guys are the auto parts store scanned it for me and I am getting two "old" codes 8-2 and 10-1. It also says I have system charging issue.

We tested the battery and the alternator. Everything was good. Correct voltage, good charge.

I have tried all the yellow plugs under the passenger seat. I have tried resetting the code - it blinks (letting me know the 8-2 code if I count the blinks and then remains solid).

I took it in for the airbag recall and the Honda dealership tried to say I needed both sensors on or in the passenger seat and it was $600. They did not say how they determined that as they wanted to charge like $150 for diagnosis and I said no but then they told me that was the problem when the recall was done anyway.

According to google searches, 10-1 means seat belt tensioner with airbag deployment. There has definitely never been a reason for airbag deployment.

My issue - I have to have that light off in order to pass state safety inspection here in my state. I am due for an inspection. I have tried troubleshooting what I can. I even removed the seat myself after disconnecting the battery to look for a short or issues with the airbag wiring under the seat. I need someone who knows what they are doing. I'm noto confident the Honda Dealer has a clue.

Ideas? Suggestions? Should I just take the SRS Module out and send it in to get it reset?

2006 Civic coupe

Pdxljb 11-26-2020 02:07 PM

Srs code 4-4

I just read the code from my honda and it's 4-4. Which is short circuit power supply to tensioner passenger seat belt. What do I have to do at this point? I had to replace this belt with a pull yard belt but it's been working fine, no codes until now. It wasn't a "totalled car" I pulled it from. So I figured I would be safe.