Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   when do u change your spark plugs? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/322567-when-do-u-change-your-spark-plugs.html)

briain02 10-12-2009 04:09 PM

when do u change your spark plugs?

At what kind of miles do u change your spark plugs? Book says 110k, is this realistic? The plugs are damn expensive. I'm at 60 k, runs good. Should I change them?
thanks

gearbox 10-12-2009 04:40 PM

Re: when do u change your spark plugs?

no its not realistic. and the stock platinum plugs are suck anyways. they only use em to extend the change interval. i would change them at 60k yes. you can go with ngk v-power copper plugs which perform better than the platinums and only cost $2 each, but they will not last as long. maybe 2-3 yrs tops. but theyre so cheap if you dont mind changing more often, go with those. or if you have $$, get some iridium ngk or denso those will perform the best by using less electrical energy and they usually last 4-5 yrs. i would never run platinums in any car unless you dont care about performance or the plugs are very hard to change. on our cars, it takes about 5 mins to do all 4.

01civictune 10-14-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4439921)
no its not realistic. and the stock platinum plugs are suck anyways. they only use em to extend the change interval. i would change them at 60k yes. you can go with ngk v-power copper plugs which perform better than the platinums and only cost $2 each, but they will not last as long. maybe 2-3 yrs tops. but theyre so cheap if you dont mind changing more often, go with those. or if you have $$, get some iridium ngk or denso those will perform the best by using less electrical energy and they usually last 4-5 yrs. i would never run platinums in any car unless you dont care about performance or the plugs are very hard to change. on our cars, it takes about 5 mins to do all 4.

What would you say about Pulse Plugs ? I have heard mixed things

gearbox 10-15-2009 12:27 AM

complete garbage. i posted a few times about them already. $100 for something that has a high fail rate, has ruined plenty of engines, and performs worse than $2 copper plugs. i used it for 10 mins, it made my engine make some very strange growling sounds and i could even feel the hp loss. i sent them back right away and had to wait a month before finally telling them im doing a chargeback to the credit card and they refunded me. very hard to reach on the phone, and they have horrible customer service. i hope they go out of business. this is the worst fail ive ever seen in the spark plug world.