Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   05 Civic sedan leaking struts at 30k miles (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/270818-05-civic-sedan-leaking-struts-30k-miles.html)

CraigW 07-18-2006 01:12 PM

05 Civic sedan leaking struts at 30k miles

Need some ideas. 05 Civic sedan, 30k miles stock.

While doing the 30k tire rotation and inspection I noticed a leak directly below the brass looking top seal on my passenger side front strut. After seeing this I looked at the other 3 the drivers side front is dry. The 2 back ones appear to be leaking below the seal as well and have a dust build up in the area of the leaks (IMO).

I took it in for the oil change today and had the dealer check them out.

They said that only the passenger front one is leaking and they will only replace the one that is leaking (not, both fronts at same time as a set) I called Honda and they confirmed that is their policy.

IMO the rears are leaking as well. Why else would the dust and dirt be sticking below the seals.

Anyone have any input on this matter ??? Considering going to another dealer for second opinion on the rears leaking or not. And I really don't care much for the idea of only replacing 1 front strut not both.

I have pictures but no way to post them, Attachments never will work for me it says they are too large every time, even when re-sized.

Thanks for any input. CW

s13_240sx_92 07-18-2006 08:11 PM

Honda quality baby!! Clean off the dust on the rear struts and see if it comes up again. Good luck.

Originally Posted by CraigW
Need some ideas. 05 Civic sedan, 30k miles stock.

While doing the 30k tire rotation and inspection I noticed a leak directly below the brass looking top seal on my passenger side front strut. After seeing this I looked at the other 3 the drivers side front is dry. The 2 back ones appear to be leaking below the seal as well and have a dust build up in the area of the leaks (IMO).

I took it in for the oil change today and had the dealer check them out.

They said that only the passenger front one is leaking and they will only replace the one that is leaking (not, both fronts at same time as a set) I called Honda and they confirmed that is their policy.

IMO the rears are leaking as well. Why else would the dust and dirt be sticking below the seals.

Anyone have any input on this matter ??? Considering going to another dealer for second opinion on the rears leaking or not. And I really don't care much for the idea of only replacing 1 front strut not both.

I have pictures but no way to post them, Attachments never will work for me it says they are too large every time, even when re-sized.

Thanks for any input. CW

CraigW 07-18-2006 08:59 PM

I plan on cleaning up the rears and then keeping a close eye on them. The service advisor did mention that since they were written up they would be covered if they do go out later. With all of the build-up just below the seal... to me it looks as if they are defective. But then again our dealership sucks ba!!s.

greeen01civic4d 07-19-2006 11:13 AM

hello, warranty!!!!

gearbox 07-19-2006 11:45 AM

just buy a real shock like tokico. i've seen people have their shocks replaced over five times under warranty. its up to you if you wanna worry about whether your shocks are blown all the time.