Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Headlight out followed by buzzing sound.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/253182-headlight-out-followed-buzzing-sound.html)

SweetDEALS 03-22-2006 02:02 PM

Headlight out followed by buzzing sound....

So I was driving around about a week ago and I noticed a loud buzzing sound, coming from behind the glove box. It went away after 5 minutes or so. Since then it has been happening consistently, and only goes away if I turn the headlights on. I noticed too, that the daytime running lights no longer work for either headlight....yet the lights work when turned to the on position???

Does anyone know what is causing the buzzing sound, and why the daytime lights no longer work? I am assuming that it could be a wiring or relay issue...

lovinthevtec 03-22-2006 02:54 PM

check the fuses and relays

do you have a haynes manual?

Pluto 04-25-2006 03:04 PM

i'm having the exact same problem. took it into my mechanic he said it was the head light relay making the buzzing sound. he said replacing the bulb fixed it, but he didn't know that I had already replaced the bulb a few weeks ago and the problem came back. I'm going to pick up the car in the morning, hopefully he found my $30 silverstar bulb that I told him to pick out of the garbage! still don't know what the problem is, I guess I'll see if the new bulb does fix the problem but I highly doubt it.

CraigW 04-25-2006 03:20 PM

If either of you want/need the wiring info I have it for the model w/DRL 3 pages of schematics and also some trouble shooting info. PM with E-Mail and I will send them.

porcChop 05-09-2006 11:23 AM

1. empty out your glove box
2. remove the tabs keeping your glove box from hitting the floor
3. you'll see your ECU, just to the left of that you'll see two relay switches
4. replace them.

I say change them both because on mine i can't tell wich one is buzzing since they are attached to the same bracket that they both feel like they're buzzing

Crunkd 05-09-2006 04:01 PM

i have the same problem and i posted it on Honda-tech with no help. the funny thing is that on my old car 90 teg i had DRL problems where my tail lights didnt work , so i pluged out the DRL and everthing was fine.
What i dont want to do is relace these relays and the problem come back again.:mad:

gearbox 05-09-2006 08:53 PM

check the drl unit i believe its just below the hood release under the kick panel. maybe somethings wrong. i've heard of problems with those drl on some years.

Crunkd 05-09-2006 09:01 PM

with so many people having the same problem its bound to come back.. im pulling out the fuse.. goodnight!!

Pluto 05-10-2006 10:39 AM

I replaced the gray module, it was definitely it that was buzzing as the buzzing stopped as soon as I pulled it out. I put a new one in but the buzzing was still happening.

I also unplugged the Daylight Running Light module underneath the steering wheel and that stops it from making noise, but now my headlights don't work :/

spth38 05-12-2006 01:30 AM

TO ALL ABOVE:

I have the problem as you do. I changed the relay and oem light bulb, and the problem came back the 3rd day...so.. it has to been a problem with the module.

And here is a solution that was provided by Team Rukus from TCC

what you do is take out the drl module and open up the box and inside you will notice that there are solder points on the board all over. if you look at each and every solder point very closely you will notice that some of them have a very fine hair line crack in it. what you will have to do is using a soldering iron remelt them and re-solder them. and then put it back together and put it back inside the car.
However, I have no idea how to take out the module... Could anyone help!?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Pluto
I replaced the gray module, it was definitely it that was buzzing as the buzzing stopped as soon as I pulled it out. I put a new one in but the buzzing was still happening.

I also unplugged the Daylight Running Light module underneath the steering wheel and that stops it from making noise, but now my headlights don't work :/

I guess the gray thing that u were taking about was not the module... it was the relay.. right? as big as your thumb, the module should be a lot bigger

gearbox 05-12-2006 06:19 AM

well if you dont need the drl, pull out both drl fuses. this will stop the unit from working and still allow the normal headlights to work. thats the easy way

spth38 05-13-2006 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
well if you dont need the drl, pull out both drl fuses. this will stop the unit from working and still allow the normal headlights to work. thats the easy way

I want it to work...because I don't want to do anything against the law

gearbox 05-13-2006 12:21 PM

if it were me, i would look at an aftermarket drl kit, or just turn on your headlights.

spth38 05-16-2006 01:23 PM

help! I have disconneted the cable from the module... but i couldn't take out the module... how should I do it?

Pluto 05-18-2006 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox

I did this and my headlights stopped working, and my fog lights only came on when the headlight switch was in the on position.

To remove the module you need to unscrew the 10mm hex bolt holding the entire bracket to the car. The bracket also holds the cruise control module in place. Once you have the bracket down you can undo the other 10mm bolt that is holding the DRL module in place.

I took apart my DRL module but couldn't observe any problems with the solder points.

Currently I have my module unplugged, but the relay installed. No DRL, but headlights come on but only the low beam setting, if I try to switch to high beams the bulbs go completely off. I'm going to put the module back in and remove the relay again, I think if I recall correctly that should allow my headlights to work normally, just no DRL (and no buzz)

spth38 05-19-2006 01:08 AM

does anyone know how much for a OEM module for honda dealer?

CraigW 05-19-2006 05:45 AM

What is the part # ?? It should be on the part.

nuffsed 05-25-2006 09:08 AM

I have been having this problem... any new solutions?

I really wanted to fix this as soon as possible...

spth38 06-29-2006 02:33 PM

guys.......re-soldering the points did work! my car is having DRL and No more buzzing! if u need more info, send me an email, i will help u out!

CHRISCANI87 12-07-2017 11:03 PM

Re: Headlight out followed by buzzing sound....

Ok ... Turn car of.. Turn headlight switch to off and the relay in engine fuse box starts to buzz !!
Causing my headlights to turn on ... Not full power but they will light up and the buzzing continues
i pull relay replace it and it still buzzing i can flick it and it will shut off but not for long
what am i missing ??

NDNV 12-08-2017 08:11 AM

Usually buzzing and headlight problems are associated with bad solder points in the DRL module in the glove box area. Re-soldering these seem to fix this issue.
You have a buzzing headlight relay in the under-hood fuse/relay box?
Do your DRL work?

civic2007Ex 12-31-2017 09:38 PM

Google "Honda Civic Full Meal Deal" regarding the DRL Relay and the DRL Module. There are bad solder joints in the DRL Module (located under dash on Drivers side) that cause the DRL Relay (passengers side behind glove box) to chatter. If it is still chattering you need only fix the bad solder joints in the module ELSE the DRL 10 Amp fuse has blown because the DRL Relay Snubber Diode has shorted out because of the chatter. See civic2001 handle at www.hondacivicforum.com for additional instructions.