Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   OBD II Code P0132 - O2 Sensor (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/224103-obd-ii-code-p0132-o2-sensor.html)

MiamiUgen7 08-15-2005 05:44 PM

OBD II Code P0132 - O2 Sensor

Got this code when I turned on the car today. First time I have ever got it. Anyone know what the problem is or what I should do?

P0132: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

XSRCivic 08-15-2005 05:54 PM

whats your o2 sensor setup like? running a cat? Using simulators? I thought it was the same codes i am throwing but mine are heater circuit codes. maybe someone else can locate the problem with a more detailed explanation.

streetglower 08-15-2005 07:11 PM

your problem pertains to your o2 sensor circuit. Bank 1 sensor 1 is the primary o2 sensor located on the header.

Now if you have access to a scanner, you can check it, otherwise have the dealer check it or autoshop.

The manaul basically says to check the output voltage of the o2 sensor using a scan tool or HDS (honda scan tool) to see if it is 0.9 V or greater. Then based on those results, if there is 0.9 V or greater, you jump two of the terminals and see what the voltages are then with the RPM's at 3000 and no load on the engine. if the voltage then is less then 0.9 V, then the sensor is bad. if there is more voltage, then there is a problem with the ECM or a open in the wiring between the ECM and the primary o2 sensor.

Now I want to tell you the most likely problem is a bad o2 sensor and to go replace the sensor, but that is not always the problem. I dont want to tell you to go replace it and your light still wont go off. But that is your choice.

Jrfish007 08-15-2005 09:47 PM

Well, I'm betting you have a carbon coked sensor that has gone bad. Since last time I heard you running kind of rich :giggle: you would be producing lots of carbon that will eventually coke and kill the O2 sensor.

If you want I can help check it out for ya. I have a multimeter so I can read voltages, I just have to figure out which wires we need to read.

MiamiUgen7 08-15-2005 09:52 PM

can the sensor be cleaned to work properly again?

Jrfish007 08-15-2005 09:58 PM

No, the zirconia disks won't conduct the oxygen ions once they have been coked with carbon, no way to get the carbon off, it's fused into the ceramics (assuming this is the problem).

Michalo187 08-15-2005 10:13 PM

mine had this code for awhile and it would misfire and ran like shit i went to the gas station put chevron gas which i never do and i haven't had it since don't know why though.

streetglower 08-16-2005 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Well, I'm betting you have a carbon coked sensor that has gone bad. Since last time I heard you running kind of rich :giggle: you would be producing lots of carbon that will eventually coke and kill the O2 sensor.

If you want I can help check it out for ya. I have a multimeter so I can read voltages, I just have to figure out which wires we need to read.

I was going to suggest that, but wasnt sure on which wires to probe.

Jrfish007 08-16-2005 07:42 AM

Well, I know that the O2 sensor is not polar senstive, so there a 4 wires for it, two are the same color, so you choose one that is the same color and one that is a different color, and you'll have a 50-50 shot...

Jrfish007 08-16-2005 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Michalo187
mine had this code for awhile and it would misfire and ran like shit i went to the gas station put chevron gas which i never do and i haven't had it since don't know why though.

I've seen bad gas set it off too, and that maybe the case. But I think this is the result of running rich.

Does anyone know if Autozone checks O2 sensors? I know I bought my last one there.

streetglower 08-16-2005 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I've seen bad gas set it off too, and that maybe the case. But I think this is the result of running rich.

Does anyone know if Autozone checks O2 sensors? I know I bought my last one there.

from what I know, they will check your starter, alternator, battery, and ignition module. I dont know if they would check o2 sensors.