Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   spun rod bearing.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/183544-spun-rod-bearing.html)

WannaBFast 11-15-2004 10:36 PM

spun rod bearing....

well i dont really need help on repairing this.. my dad and his mechanics are gonna get me running again... but my question for you is this....

how can a naturally aspirated, non-nitrous SOHC civic that is well maintained, get a spun bearing?
:eek:

Boilermaker1 11-15-2004 11:08 PM

If you had a problem with your oil system, or you beat it up while its cold. I can't think of too many ways.

WannaBFast 11-16-2004 12:06 AM

well if worst comes to shove.. i guess ill have to do a little transplant.. but i usually let me engine warm up to the point where it hovers around 1000rpms before i rag on it..

at any rate.. this is very disturbing for me... but it could also be the reason it was making a slight noise before i changed my clutch months ago, i thought it was a pilot bearing or release bearing in the tranny.. but it went away when i pressed the clutch.. but the noise came back and it sounded like it came from the passenger side.. now it sounds like its coming from the driver side... i would like to rebuild the entire engine.. but i dont have time to fool around with this stuff, its my daily driver... so im gonna see what i can do.. HOPEFULLY i wont have to do too much.. a swap right now would take forever and a day... and i cant afford to have it out of commission too long..

WannaBFast 11-17-2004 07:02 PM

so think i figured out why the bearing went bad.. front motor mount was screwed... would that cause vibration at highway speeds?

streetglower 11-17-2004 07:04 PM

shit happens all the time, there is really no explanation, every part fails eventually.

ncirom2003 11-17-2004 10:59 PM

^^^ not really true

WannaBFast 11-17-2004 11:21 PM

well i got another d17 from an em2... thats getting prepped to be dropped in right now.. i wish it was a k20.. but budget and time makes it out of reach for me at the moment

Logan3024 11-17-2004 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by WannaBFast
well i got another d17 from an em2... thats getting prepped to be dropped in right now.. i wish it was a k20.. but budget and time makes it out of reach for me at the moment

I was in your same position, i just had to replace my motor because of a spun rod bearing. mine gave out because of low engine oil, high reving, plus nitrous= not good! :rtfm: . but its a fairly easy swap, did mine in about day and a half. How much did you end up paying for your new engine?

Logan3024 11-17-2004 11:46 PM

and what oil have you been using?

WannaBFast 11-18-2004 08:53 AM

i been using amsoil, i paid about 700 for the motor... but it wasnt complete.. i gotta use my old ac compressor ps pump, alternator...

after i get the motor out i gotta put the clutch, harmonic balancer, plugs, and little things on the new one

mclean987 05-19-2005 06:53 AM

so your saying that the engine mount caused you to spin a bearing ? how ? you used to get vibration at highway speedS? how fast? my front engine mount was almost dead at 40,000 so i got energy suspension its fine now

Originally Posted by WannaBFast
so think i figured out why the bearing went bad.. front motor mount was screwed... would that cause vibration at highway speeds?

Blk2k2civy 05-21-2005 11:29 AM

well how can you tell if you have a spun rod bearing beacause is just heard a knocking noise when i was on the highway and then i got off to check what it was all i can here was a knock from the head thinking it was my valves next day i took the head of and the head seems to be fine

Logan3024 05-21-2005 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Blk2k2civy
well how can you tell if you have a spun rod bearing beacause is just heard a knocking noise when i was on the highway and then i got off to check what it was all i can here was a knock from the head thinking it was my valves next day i took the head of and the head seems to be fine

If you spun a bearing youll hear it during idle. Youll notice a loss in power due to loss of compression to the piston with the bad bearing. Youll know when a rod bearing gives!

Blk2k2civy 05-21-2005 11:46 AM

ok cause i did felt of loss in power but i dont hear it at idle i hear it when the rpm hit 2k+ and thought it was my valves bent but were fine how much would it cost to fix and i was on this web site that have a rebuilding kit for 541.64 +s&h is it worth it

Blk2k2civy 05-22-2005 06:33 PM

well today i just took the block out i had already took the head cause i thought it was my valvesand it wasn't but i took the oil pan off and checked the rod bearing and sure enough it was it was eatin up pretty bad but i going to buy another motor and keep and rebuild it with internals to boost the hell out of it