Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/357-suspension)
-   -   Rotation knocking sound near wheels (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/357-suspension/364786-rotation-knocking-sound-near-wheels.html)

pizzahutcombo 08-01-2015 05:29 PM

Rotation knocking sound near wheels

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a used 2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan.

Everything on it seems to be running fine, just having an annoying issue when driving at highway speeds. When I reach up to 45/50mph (80kph) I start to get an annoying rhythmic (metallic bumper like) knocking (~400-500 BPM/Tempo @ 4/4) near the front right wheel, then when I go even faster I start to hear ticking in the front left wheel (might be a loose rock i donno, it isnt as big of a deal). I recently went to get a tire alignment done and the mechanic shop said everything looked fine under the wheel as I mentioned the knocking sound. After that I went out again and it continued to make the sound. Mechanic mentioned theres a bit of rust in the area but he told me to keep driving it and tell him in a few days. You cant really hear it unless youre going that speed I mentioned with the radio and A/C off.

Also I thought I'd mention that when I brake at highway speeds, the steering wheel shakes a bit so I'm assuming there the rotors are warped a bit and need resurfacing. I mention this because I'm curious if this could be the reason for the knocking sound. The knocking sound doesnt seem to speed up too much if I speed up, it just seems to get more violent, but not too crazy.

It's not the wheel bearing (doesnt make a hum noise) and its not a CV joint (as its not when turning). I read it could be control arm bushings, and warped rotors. But also heard tie rods, shock mounts, ball joints, sway bar links, etc.

TL;DR:
Knocking sound from passenger wheel when I reach 50mph+ going straight.
Steering wheel shakes when braking, wondering if warped rotors making noise. It shakes less now though through more use since ive had it, probably some oxidization on the wheels.

Anyone else have this issue or would be able to inform me? It's really annoying and just wanna make sure its not horribly serious. Maybe its rust, I donno, it doesnt visually look like it.

Any help would mean a lot. Thanks!

ezone 08-01-2015 07:36 PM

Re: Rotation knocking sound near wheels

as I mentioned the knocking sound.
Find a pro, take him for a ride so everyone can hear what is going on.
Describing in words can only go so far.

Rocks in the treads?
Is it one knock per wheel revolution, or is it faster then that?

pizzahutcombo 08-01-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4690140)
Rocks in the treads?
Is it one knock per wheel revolution, or is it faster then that?

No rocks in the treads but i can check again.

it sounds like one knock per wheel revolution.

Ill try to get someone to look at it again

pizzahutcombo 08-17-2015 07:09 PM

This is what the sound is like. You hear It more so at the end of the video. It sounds very rattle like and doesn't change speed at all really. Only happens when I reach 50mph or more.

ezone 08-17-2015 08:08 PM

I sure can't discern much from that video.

pizzahutcombo 08-17-2015 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4691152)
I sure can't discern much from that video.

the knocking sound torwards the end. Didnt realize how crappy my phone made the sound. I hear it as well in the passenger side until i reach like 60mph then i hear it on the left.

ezone 08-17-2015 08:33 PM

There's a lot of different sounds near the end, but I still can't tell much over the internet.

Guess you gotta be there.

Does it make the noises if you just jack up the front wheels and let them spin?

Could it be loose stuff like splash shields or fender liner or bumper cover flapping in the wind?

pizzahutcombo 08-17-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4691163)
Does it make the noises if you just jack up the front wheels and let them spin?

This is something I wanted to take to the mechanic. Im a 21 year old living in another country in an apartment so don't really have the tools to check this myself.

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4691163)
Could it be loose stuff like splash shields or fender liner or bumper cover flapping in the wind?

I want to think it's something like this. Mechanic said it could have been the bumper but he put 10 clips on the bumper and it still does it.

Appreciate the replies

Jason16 10-27-2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by pizzahutcombo (Post 4691157)
the knocking sound torwards the end. Didnt realize how crappy my phone made the sound. I hear it as well in the passenger side until i reach like 60mph then i hear it on the left.

That's could be the hub bearings, or the tie rod end.

Ethan cowan 07-13-2021 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by pizzahutcombo (Post 4691140)
What the hell is this sound. - YouTube
This is what the sound is like. You hear It more so at the end of the video. It sounds very rattle like and doesn't change speed at all really. Only happens when I reach 50mph or more.

Same sound is coming from mine when i hit 70 mph. Ever find out what it was?