Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/356-transmission)
-   -   Transmission oil pressure switch (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/356-transmission/373572-transmission-oil-pressure-switch.html)

Deanshark 06-16-2018 04:58 PM

Transmission oil pressure switch

Hey guys, first post here. Working on my daughter's 2015 Civic LX (darn CVT tranny) After noticing a huge puddle of tranny fluid in driveway when she left I called her back, looked under car, and saw it was covered. Took all the covers off to see where it was coming from, hoping it wasn't the main seal. It wasn't. So much fluid I couldn't see specifically where it was coming from. So I wiped everything and ran the car switching through the gears then looked again. Found it was coming from the pressure switch. Here's a crazy part, ran my finger around the switch and was shocked. It wasn't even finger tight. Have no clue how it loosened up. I was only able to snug it tight with an adjustable wrench b/c of the tight spot so it's not gonna stay tight. I don't have a wrench that size so I cant see what size it is so I'm looking for the size (deep) socket I need to tighten the pressure switch. Also need the torque amount so I don't over tighten it.
If anyone knows TIA

ezone 06-16-2018 07:14 PM

Re: Transmission oil pressure switch

Probably 7/8 inch if it is a pressure switch, and torque depend on what it is and what the seal or gasket is made of... Can't give a spec if I have no idea what you're dealing with...

If it's got a soft aluminum crush washer, tight enough to squash the washer a little bit similar to how an engine oil drainplug feels.

Deanshark 06-17-2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746527)
Probably 7/8 inch if it is a pressure switch, and torque depend on what it is and what the seal or gasket is made of... Can't give a spec if I have no idea what you're dealing with...

If it's got a soft aluminum crush washer, tight enough to squash the washer a little bit similar to how an engine oil drainplug feels.

Thnx for a response. I know the socket would be over 1 1/16 cuz I tried a non deep socket and the outside diameter was even smaller then the nut. (Not sure what the equivilent metric would be) I just don't want to buy a full set of large deep sockets which I will only use once. Also, it does have a crush washer on it but didnt know if there was a torque spec on it like the drain plug. I guess I'll try to ask someone at the dealer. I've been searching here and Google for days now.

ezone 06-17-2018 12:54 PM

Post some pictures of it?

Deanshark 06-17-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4746558)
Post some pictures of it?

I don't have the car here now. Probably won't see it til next weekend. I was lucky to see it today to make sure it wasn't leaking, only cuz it's fathers day. :coffee: Ya know how kids are, only when they need something. ;)