Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Meguiar's Gold Liquid Wax ? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/91145-meguiars-gold-liquid-wax.html)

Ant81 05-01-2003 11:29 PM

Meguiar's Gold Liquid Wax ?

i wanted to know if Meguiar's Gold Liquid Wax is any good? Also how do i go about using it ?

SilverSport 05-02-2003 01:42 AM

its a good wax, but i think that the deep crystal meguiar system is better.

to use it you wax on.... wax off (karate kid)

Huh_Oh Sh*t! 05-02-2003 02:48 AM

if u want wax that lasts long and works good, use nu finish. meguiars deep crystal works really good but not as long as nu finish.

justacivic 05-02-2003 07:13 AM

Originally posted by SilverSport

to use it you wax on.... wax off (karate kid)

True. Multiple specialized products wiil always give you better results. The gold class is a good multi-step combination product, you will like the results. About the Nufinish, please don't put that on your car!

RedDragon333 05-02-2003 04:02 PM

Originally posted by justacivic
True. Multiple specialized products wiil always give you better results. The gold class is a good multi-step combination product, you will like the results. About the Nufinish, please don't put that on your car!
I just finished with the 3 step Deep Crystal process and the paint looks and feels like glass. Its a great system however it takes forever if you do it right. My process washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing, detailing took about 5 hours. BUt once your done its well worth the effort.

justacivic explain your comment about NUFinish i heard it was a great product. I dont use it but for those that do

justacivic 05-02-2003 04:31 PM

If you go to any serious detailing forum or seriuos detailer for that matter they will tell you to stay away from products like nufinish. Basically it is cheap synthetic with a lot of fillers in it to hide imperfections, the car may look ok after you finish it but, after several washings the fillers will go away and the imperfections are back. Nufinish is also very hard on rubber moldings, it will actually dry them out over time and stain them permanently. Nufinish has a mild abrassive quality to it that IMO is not correctly buffered by other ingredients in the product. By this I mean you could actually cause microswirling by using nufinish alone. Imo anything product that is chalky, stains trim, and can potentially cause swirls is just plain inferior. There are so many other quality one step products out there that nufinish just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not saying change everything you do, if you like nufinish and it works for you, by all means use it. That's what it's all about, finding what works for you. For me , there is no way I would put it on my car.

wing0 06-01-2003 01:12 PM

I was thinking about the same thing
Whether to get Nu Finish or the Gold Class Wax
i want something to last thru the winter in Canada which is like 4 months.
Usually how long does Gold Class Wax last?

slystad810 06-02-2003 01:01 AM

I would reccomend the hard wax, because I used the liquid Gold Class and it doesn't seem to be holding up that well. Looks really great though. I'm going to use the solid next time.

Intermezzo 06-02-2003 12:13 PM

Both versions of Meguiar's Gold Class have very poor durability. It has a very nice shine, but doesn't last too long.

As for the previous comments regarding the superiority of the 3-step system.....any 3 step system will be better than a 1-step product. In detailing, the best possible shine always comes from prep...and not the wax you use. Sometimes we forget this because we all have cars that are either brand new or 2 years old at the most.

Also, NuFinish might be ok for an old beater car, but for me, it never comes near my car. The amount of petroleum distillates and abrasives it contains goes way above my comfort level. If durability is what you're looking for, then there are altenatives.....like Mother's Reflections or their new synthetic/carnauba hybrid HotWheels wax. Another good alternative is Meguiar's #20. If you don't mind spending more on "boutique items", then try Zaino, Klasse, Platinum or Blackfire.

RedDragon333 06-02-2003 03:53 PM

Originally posted by SilverSport
I agree the Deep crystal series is great. Its the only brand i use and it makes the car look better than the day i bought it and the reflection after your done with the 3step method :damn: :damn:

Handsonme 06-02-2003 11:44 PM

If it helps you any, I use Meguiars Gold Class, and it gives me nice results.

R33civic 06-03-2003 12:29 AM

I Have gold class, and regular muguiras. They both work equally well. one time waxed half gold class and the othe half of the car with regular and i really couldnt tell a diffrence. but my friend who looked at it could tell the diffrence.

DestnationUnkwn 06-24-2003 12:13 AM

3M's stuff is a little better than Meguairs IMO. Finesse it and the Hand Glaze. Theyll make your car look better than when they first roll of the assembly line. Itll cost a bit more than other polishes but well worth it.