Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   could a MOD close this thread now? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/91043-could-mod-close-thread-now.html)

tbone323 05-01-2003 03:00 PM

could a MOD close this thread now?

Ok, so I found out the code to the local Mobile stations' car wash. I went there all the time, I mean, it was free, or so I thought. One day I was waiting in line for the wash and as I was watching the car ahead of me get washed, I noticed that the machine had these circular buffers that would extend and clean the wheel, pretty nice I thought so when it was my turn, I actually paid attention to the machine to see it clean my wheels. To my surprise, the machine screwed up and the buffers came out in the middle of my door!! Apparently, this had been happeneing everytime I used the wash but never paid attention. When I drove out, I looked and saw scratches in the paint. Needless to say, I was pissed but what could I do, I used the code for a free car wash. I wasn't too worried cause I planned on getting my car waxed anyways. I stopped goin to that wash and awhile later had it waxed, the waxing hid some of the circular pattern but not all, and in the right lite conditions, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It frusterates me to NO END!! I get angered by it everytime I see it. If I have to get the doors repainted, will I have to have the entire side of the car also repainted to match? Thus resulting in both sides of my car with new paint?

has this ever happened to anyone else out there? does anyone have any advice on what I can do. (ohl yeah, don't suggest that I go back to the car wash to complain cause I livbe in another state now)

~tbone

:evil:

justacivic 05-01-2003 03:06 PM

My first word of advice is to NEVER take your car through automatic carwashes! You could not pay me enough to go through one of these, touchless or otherwise.

Now for your car, did the scratches break the clearcoat? Do they catch a fingernail? I would try in any case to find some #83 meguiar's dual action cleaner polish, follow with the #9 swirl remover, maybe #7 show car polish (depends on the paint), then top it with meguiar's #26 hi-tech yellow wax or your favorite wax.

FALKEN 05-01-2003 03:08 PM

There's NO such thing as a GOOD car wash (unless you do it by hand)

as far as your problem with the 'scratches'...they should buff out because i doubt that they are very bad or deep at all...

:hgrin:

RedDragon333 05-02-2003 03:56 PM

Originally posted by FALKEN
There's NO such thing as a GOOD car wash (unless you do it by hand)

as far as your problem with the 'scratches'...they should buff out because i doubt that they are very bad or deep at all...

:hgrin:

youll be surprised at the damage those things can do. I would never and have never been through a car wash where you pay money for a machine or people to do it. I trust no one else but me, because WHEN something does happen your SOL. The best way to wash wax and polis the ride is the old fashioned way. BY HAND. Been washing my car like that since i bought it and it looks 10X better then on the showroom floor

tangerine 05-02-2003 05:27 PM

Definatly NEVER go through an automatic car wash!!!!!

Did you try buffing the paint? or getting someone to buff it for you? this may help, if not than just repaint the doors(as long as its jsut the doors that are scratched up)

tbone323 05-03-2003 12:58 PM

Originally posted by tangerine
Definatly NEVER go through an automatic car wash!!!!!

Did you try buffing the paint? or getting someone to buff it for you? this may help, if not than just repaint the doors(as long as its jsut the doors that are scratched up)

I tried having someone else buff it out. I don't own a buffer and have never even done it beforte so i wne to one of thos professional detailing services, thinking if anyone could get it ou, they could!

guess not

RedDragon333 05-05-2003 03:04 PM

go to a paint shop and have them buff them out. You would be surprised what they can get out w/o having to repaint. If you do decide to repaint one door will run you about 200.00 at a good place.

Connie 05-06-2003 11:14 AM

Yeah, I can have my car washed for free in the time it would take me to drive to the nearest car wash....I would never take my baby through one of those things....

sham01ski 05-06-2003 02:54 PM

going through an automatic car wash.. haha might as well drive behind a salt truck at 40mph on the highway in a blinding snow storm...

tbone323 05-06-2003 05:05 PM

ok, renufs enuf, thanks for those who helped, could a MOD close this thread now?