Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   California Duster (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/89311-california-duster.html)

RedDragon333 04-22-2003 01:18 PM

California Duster

i have my car in the garage most of the time so i wash it when get a chance even when it doesnt need it but i have heard the Cali. Duster allows you to somewhat wipe and attract dust w/o scratching the paint. I havent tried it but im curious to if it really works. Please if anyone has used it let me know how its working. Im anal about my paint job and my car so if it doesnt work that great let me know and if it leaves swirls or anything let me know before i purchase.

EManEX 04-22-2003 01:45 PM

I don't have the California Duster but I have something similar. It will attract and clean the car well. I'm very happy to have it because when it rains I just wait till it dries and pass that thing over the car and it looks clean once again.

FALKEN 04-22-2003 01:57 PM

they work great...i have one that is ready for the trash...ive been using it for almost 5 years now...

CIVICMAN67 04-22-2003 04:11 PM

I have one that I use to dust my toolbox off w/, I just did not have any luck with them on past vehicals. My 2 cents- I feel if you use it, all that it is doing is dragging the dirt and dust on your paint causing micro-scratches, which after a while get pretty nasty looking.

SilverSport 04-22-2003 06:12 PM

i have the california duster, use it everyday pretty much because the roads here at still full of sand from the winter. Works amazingly as long as you know when you can use it and when you can't. Don't ever use it when its actual dirt on your paint. If you do, all you do is scrape the dirt around and scratch the paint.

VNlilMAN 04-22-2003 07:57 PM

i use it too and it does wonders... for me it doesnt just move the dirt, it picks it up... if you have a black car like me, you'll see the car picks up alot of dirt even after a day, instead of washing the car everyday i just use the cali car duster for a couple mins and its clean again.

RedDragon333 04-22-2003 09:07 PM

The car sits in the garage and doesnt get out much, so i just washed it so all that gets on it is the dust in the garage, so i guess it would be ok to use it like omce a week unless i actually drive it around right?

civicdude 04-23-2003 07:47 AM

It works great on surface dust and pollen. I have one too. If the car is really dirty then I wouldnt use it because then you can scratch the paint.

RedDragon333 04-23-2003 12:23 PM

so if the cars somewhat clean(stored after wash and wax)with only the dust from a garage i could use it like once a week so i dint have to wash it again just to remove the particles or is that too dirty? Sorry so many questions but im anal about my paint job for those of you who know me

xHoteKx 04-27-2003 02:14 PM

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
i use it too and it does wonders... for me it doesnt just move the dirt, it picks it up... if you have a black car like me, you'll see the car picks up alot of dirt even after a day, instead of washing the car everyday i just use the cali car duster for a couple mins and its clean again.
ditto. i love my cali duster:D

mig 04-29-2003 02:24 PM

try the smaller, interior Cal. duster too. it works great.

RedDragon333 04-30-2003 04:46 PM

my interior is spotless i thought about it tho. The main concern is the exterior since i keep it garaged most of the time i just want something i can go over it once a week and keep the "washing because of dust" down

SilverSport 05-01-2003 02:22 AM

Originally posted by mig
try the smaller, interior Cal. duster too. it works great.
got one too. use it everyday, bugs the hell out of me when I'm driving and I see dust on my dash.

Huh_Oh Sh*t! 05-02-2003 03:00 AM

man since this thing works really good, i plan on buying that. good thing they have it at costco. they got the big one and the small one in a pack for i think $12 or cheaper. hell yea! :hgrin:

RedDragon333 05-02-2003 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Huh_Oh Sh*t!
man since this thing works really good, i plan on buying that. good thing they have it at costco. they got the big one and the small one in a pack for i think $12 or cheaper. hell yea! :hgrin:
bastard i paid 10 just for the large on. Tried it over the weekend and since i washed the car two weeks ago it hasnt been driven since i used it and it looks like just washed it. This thing works great.

Intermezzo 05-05-2003 06:31 PM

Damn fellas..what's wrong with ya'll? This guy just asked the same question three times and no one answered. :)

Yeah, using it once a week on a garage queen will be fine. Glad to hear it worked out for you. On a daily driver, I would say once every 2-3 days minimum.

As with any detailing procedure...common sense prevails. Don't use it to remove dust that has been exposed to any kind of moisture. Don't use any pressure at all.. Just let the tips of the strands gently glide across the paint surface and let the parrafin wax do the work.

On a side note..I'm not too crazy about the dash duster (I've since relegated it to rim duty). I keep a dedicated MF towel in my car to use on my interior whenever I see any dust.

RedDragon333 05-07-2003 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Intermezzo
Damn fellas..what's wrong with ya'll? This guy just asked the same question three times and no one answered. :)

Yeah, using it once a week on a garage queen will be fine. Glad to hear it worked out for you. On a daily driver, I would say once every 2-3 days minimum.

As with any detailing procedure...common sense prevails. Don't use it to remove dust that has been exposed to any kind of moisture. Don't use any pressure at all.. Just let the tips of the strands gently glide across the paint surface and let the parrafin wax do the work.

On a side note..I'm not too crazy about the dash duster (I've since relegated it to rim duty). I keep a dedicated MF towel in my car to use on my interior whenever I see any dust.

Thanks very much for the answer. I was hoping to get the answer. I leave the detailing to armorall and a small towel, works wonders.

TOOLOWCIVIC 05-13-2003 11:10 AM

Hell yeah it works great. I got it for my car and I love it. Where in Houston can I buy the small one. I couldnt find it anywhere.

03CivicEX03 05-13-2003 01:43 PM

where you get it at?

Distinctive 06-10-2003 10:46 PM

CA duster is the bomb.....great for pollen....

DMX 06-14-2003 01:04 AM

only thing i dont like about it is that it leaves a lil bit of grease residue

Polamnus 11-24-2003 12:25 PM

Good Duster!

Get one, you'll be glad you did.

DMX, there is some excess parafin on the duster when you get it, but the instructions say to sit it on a newspaper for 48 hours before use. I did that and there was a sizable waxy stain left on the newspaper, but since then I've never had a problem with it leaving anything on my car.

L8r,
Pol

RedDragon333 12-12-2003 02:43 PM

yea i let mine sit for about 3 days and every day i would shake it and let it sit again. TOOLOW you can get the small ones at pepboys.

KeNsHiN 12-16-2003 04:05 PM

Originally posted by FALKEN
they work great...i have one that is ready for the trash...ive been using it for almost 5 years now...
same with me.......im going to go buy a new one today

AR 12-16-2003 09:24 PM

I have heard that it can cause swirls. I don't know, but I am not sure.

RedDragon333 12-17-2003 03:58 PM

Trust me AR it wont cause swirls, you know me and how i am with my paint. The duster is designed to "attract" dirt and safely pick it up not drag it across the paint