Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   help a noob out at "how to wax" (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/87784-help-noob-out-how-wax.html)

slicksivik 04-14-2003 11:53 AM

help a noob out at "how to wax"

i cant wax for shit. i tried twice and everytime, i get like discoloration on my black car. i got a black civic and like i wash the car. i just washed it yesterday. i put some meguirs deep crystal car wash stuff on. then i cleaned my rims and waxed them with some turtle wax. then i took the turtle wax (i have gold class, but i wanted to just put some wax on cuz its gonna rain in a few days). heres what i did: tell me where i fudged up....

-Cleaned car
-Dried with miracle towel, which absorbs the water
-let it dry fully and did the rims and wheels
-waited till the sun went down
-took the bottle of wax and squirted some on a microfiber towel
-then took the towel and placed it on the car and moved it around to spread the wax
-kinda looks all smeary and like uneven and kinda bad, so thats why i ask what im doing wrong. some parts are the black, and the parts with the wax turn like purple kinda...
-i let it dry up a bit, and take a towel to take the excess off
-then i take a wet towel and go over the purple areas and the time before yesterday i just washed the car all over again to get rid of the purple looking areas.

so what am i doing wrong. am i applying the wax the wrong way or something? plz be detailed haha. im so stupid at this waxing shit. i dont wanna make it look ugly, cuz its black and it shows everything. thanx

slicksivik 04-14-2003 11:55 AM

by the way, how the hell do u get rid of all the water marks, do u just gotta have to wash the car in the shade or something, cuz i do it in the sun and like thats really the only place i can, cuz i dont gotta a garage or nuttin. when iwash the car, the water dries up all the time, so i spray it again and then go over it with the towel to dry it up and get rid of the water. ends up that i just take a plain old shower towel and put a little water on it and go over my car with it and rub the water on the spots and then dry it with the other side. any suggestions. thanx

civicdude 04-14-2003 01:35 PM

Bring your car to me and I will detail it, I am in NY....Now that you use circular motion to apply and remove the wax, you have mad swirl marks on the car. You need to go over the car with a glaze to remove all the swirl marks and then finish it off with wax....Read up on posts in this forum, you will learn alot. When you apply wax, and remove it....NEVER USE A CIRCULAR MOTION. ALWAYS GO BACK AND FORTH OR SIDE TO SIDE. If you dont u will get swirls.

RedDragon333 04-16-2003 04:29 PM

the reason you might be getting a haze is beacuse your using too much of the wax and the cloth your using to clean it off with has some still on it so your not removing the wax COMPLETLY from your paint.
wouldnt recommend using a towel to dry it off, i use somehing called "the absorber" , towels will leave maks on the paint. Try as much as possible to wash in the shade, if that means washing late in the evening or early in the morning do it, washing in the sun is causing the spots. wax, polish, wash, dry in a up and down motion or side to side never apply or remove anything in a circle.