Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Dust And Wax??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/72513-dust-wax.html)

ZSKCivic01 01-19-2003 10:56 AM

Dust And Wax???

Hey everyone, this is just an observation that I made today, but when I pulled my car out of the garage, it was covered in dust, like always. I have a blue civic, so you can really see when it gets dirty. Well anyway, my car was covered with dust, except the drivers side which was clean, since I had just gotten that repainted. On everything else, there was a coat of meguiars carnauba wax. Does the wax somehow attract dust? If so, is there some other type of wax I can use to keep the dust off? It is almost like my car is static charged to attract dust everywhere I go. I would really appreciate your help!

Mbow 01-19-2003 06:02 PM

I think it is that way with all cars. It's just not as noticeable on the lighter colors. Get a california dust thing or whatever they are and go over the car before leaving the garage.

It's part of the joy of owning a dark colored car. Look super-nice when clean but a f-in bish to keep clean.

EManEX 01-24-2003 12:15 PM

To answer your question. Yes Carnauba waxes are natural waxes and they will attract dust. If you don't want dust in your car you can use syntetic waxes.

Here are the pro and cons:
Carnuba Wax
In a dark color car like yours a good Carnauba wax will give it a nice deap and wet look to your car, the problem is that it last about two months on your car and it will attract dust.
Syntetic Wax
The syntetic waxes will last longer on your car and protect it better however they will not give you the nice deap and wet look to your car as the carnuaba wax.

Hope it helps. If anyone has more information or are better informe than me please post.

TwilightX 01-24-2003 01:29 PM

Dust will always be an issue, no matter what...now just wait till the summer when all the pollen is in the air! That stuff is the worst!

Just keep the car as much as possible away from moving air - if there's a wind, it's bound to pick up crap and blow it on your car.

If you're really bent about it, I would suggest a car cover...not the most fun thing in the world to do, but it does work...

For me, I just grin and bear it for a couple weeks and then clean things up...stinks, but I have no other choice... :)

T-X

EManEX 01-24-2003 01:48 PM

As TwilightX stated dust will always be a problem. However if you don't want to spend that much money on a car cover, which is a really good way to keep dust off your car, you can always just buy a california duster, or anything like it, like Mbow suggested. With a duster it will be extreamly easy to get dust off your car as long as no water has touch the car and the car has a good amout of wax left on it.

VNlilMAN 01-24-2003 03:42 PM

ya i have a cali duster on my car.. does wonders...
my car used to sit outside for a day and get all dirty cause they were doing construction.. just use the cali duster for like 2 minutes and the car looks clean...

"It's part of the joy of owning a dark colored car. Look super-nice when clean but a f-in bish to keep clean. "
yup gotta agree. just look at that shine. go here for more pics:)

showoff 01-27-2003 04:07 PM

I use Zaino Z6 Detailing Spray. Besides it's super lubricity for removing dirt and dust giving it a watery glossy look after a wash/polish it also has an antistatic agent in it that makes your car 60% less attractive to dust. It works even on pollen and lint!