Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   to help neutralize salt.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/71916-help-neutralize-salt.html)

SOHC 01-15-2003 03:46 PM

to help neutralize salt....

i heard on a radio talk show- that if you put a little baking soda in your bucket o soap when u wash ur car, it will help neutralize the body eating salt that accumulates on your body durring the winter

FALKEN 01-15-2003 03:50 PM

ok...are you asking or have you tried this?? :susp:

jro 01-16-2003 12:16 AM

i really don't see how that would work. the most commonly used road salt is sodium cloridie (NaCl). since NaCl is a solid precipitate of HCl(aq) and NaOH(aq), the dissociation of HCl is pretty much equal to to the dissociation of NaOH. Therefore [H+][A-]/[HA] will approach a pKa value of pretty damn near seven. In short, a salt solution of sodium chloride is neutral with pH of 7--not acidic nor basic. i don't think that adding baking soda (base) will help any better than just flushing with fresh water.

sometimes calcium chloride is used in lieu of sodium chloride. in that case, the salt is comprised of a higher charged metal (Ca+2 as opposed to Na+1). Because of the slightly higher charge it will decrease the dissociation of A-. this means that calcium chloride is barely acidic--almost negligible.

water is an amphoteric compound meaning that it can act as either (very) weak acid or (very) weak base--enough water will bring an acid or a base close to neutrality.

save your baking soda for cleaning battery terminals. flushing already neutral road salt with baking soda is unnecessary--just flush with lots of water.
-jro

2Hottie 01-16-2003 10:25 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: jro
i really don't see how that would work. the most commonly used road salt is sodium cloridie (NaCl). since NaCl is a solid precipitate of HCl(aq) and NaOH(aq), the dissociation of HCl is pretty much equal to to the dissociation of NaOH. Therefore [H+][A-]/[HA] will approach a pKa value of pretty damn near seven. In short, a salt solution of sodium chloride is neutral with pH of 7--not acidic nor basic. i don't think that adding baking soda (base) will help any better than just flushing with fresh water.

sometimes calcium chloride is used in lieu of sodium chloride. in that case, the salt is comprised of a higher charged metal (Ca+2 as opposed to Na+1). Because of the slightly higher charge it will decrease the dissociation of A-. this means that calcium chloride is barely acidic--almost negligible.

water is an amphoteric compound meaning that it can act as either (very) weak acid or (very) weak base--enough water will bring an acid or a base close to neutrality.

save your baking soda for cleaning battery terminals. flushing already neutral road salt with baking soda is unnecessary--just flush with lots of water.
-jro[hr]

Damn, are you a chemical engineer???

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

2Hottie

jro 01-16-2003 02:20 PM

[hr]Damn, are you a chemical engineer???

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

2Hottie[hr]
ha. not yet. i still have about three more years (at least).
-jro