Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   which do you prefer? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/63281-do-you-prefer.html)

AR 11-15-2002 10:38 PM

which do you prefer?

yeah i was at autozone today and i noticed the paste and liquid form waxes on the racks. i did an hours worth of searching on waxes and claying and i was prepped to pick out my materials to wax and clay my civic for the first time. which one do your use? the liquid or the wax? what kind of cloth do you use to apply wax? what do you prefer to rub off the wax? also, i notcied the microfiber towels didnt come in a bag... i dont want to choose the one that was kicked around the floor durring after hours by the stock boys:shake:. sould you apply wax and clay on the unpainted rear veiw mirrors (for the lx). is there a lube spray for the mothers clay bar like there is for the magic one? alll i wanna do is a little touching up on my paint before the weather gets bad and salt trucks come out. :_please: i have all the techniques down, and i know all about the different products... that's all i was wondering. thanks for the help.

Mbow 11-15-2002 11:10 PM

I prefer meg's gold in liquid form. Liquid goes on easier and comes off easier.

I have used the Mother's clay bar a few times. Civicdude said not to use the spray lubricant that came with the bar. He said to fill a bucket with your normal car wash and use that as the lubricant as it makes the bar glide easier and leaves less clay residue behind. Worked very well for me.

Sometimes I use terry cloth towels to apply a swirl remover, polish, and wax. Normally, the towel for the swirl/scratch remover and a foam applicator for polish and wax. I have found that the foam applicators generally give a more consistent coverage pattern.

I always use terry cloth towels to remove the products. They work very well and the good ones are very soft. I have about 40 terry towels btw. I haven't used the micro-fiber towels but I hear they are well worth the money. I just go over the car with meg's quick detailer to remove the residue left behind by the terry towels. I always quick detail inbetween apps as to remove any residue and to smooth out the previous coat.

Stay away from any unpainted surfaces. You can try some swirl remover or something if you want. I have found that it brings a little shine and newness back to the unpainted surfaces. Just keep the wax and polish away though. It's a bish to get off if it dries.

Lastly, if you are prepping her for winter, I would put a coat if not 2 of nu-finish on the car. The stuff last forever and shines very well. A lot of members have said that use nu-finish for the winter months. It does last forever like they advertise it to.

Hope that helps a little..

AR 11-16-2002 12:33 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow<br

Lastly, if you are prepping her for winter, I would put a coat if not 2 of nu-finish on the car. The stuff last forever and shines very well. A lot of members have said that use nu-finish for the winter months. It does last forever like they advertise it to.

Hope that helps a little..[hr]
yes it does! is nu finish a wax? should i apply this after washing and claying? if this is not a wax shout i apply this after i wash, clay, and wax??? thanks man. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Mbow 11-16-2002 02:15 PM

I don't think it is a wax technically speaking but is used like one. I think it is pretroleum based or something. But yea, you apply just like any other wax.

Clay bar
Polish
Wax

Or you could just use the clay bar and put the nu-finish on afterwards. I like to polish inbetween but it's really up to you. Depends on whether you feel your paint needs it or not.

2Hottie 11-19-2002 11:57 AM

Yeah, I agree, liquid form is a lot easier to use...and the polish step just touches up what was missed by the cleaning/clay bar step i.e. getting rid of some swirl marks and stuff...

2Hottie

TwilightX 11-19-2002 02:16 PM

I'm all about the wax - paste is easier to apply, but there's something so satisfying about taking off that glaze to reveal the car totally glass-like. I've clay barred my car a couple times, and it seems that civicdude's technique of using regular car soap instead of the detailer not only works well, but makes the process a heck of a lot faster. I haven't used a polish in between the claybar and wax, but I think my paint is in good enough condition where I can get away with it...

If you want to condition the trim, I recommend mother's back to black, an all time favourite. It really brings back the glossy new look to the plastic. Lasts a reasonable amount of time, but the first day is always the best...

Do the Nu finish for the winter - I'm trying it for the first time and so far it's a great product...very very easy to apply too...

and as always for the process, I use:
Clay Magic Claybar
Meguiar's Gold Class Wax
(sometimes before the Gold Class) Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
(used it once) Meguiar's Crystal Polish

For the interior:
Meguiar's Natural Shine
Stoner Glass Cleaner

I use the all cotton cloths that are rapped but not bagged from AutoZone - I usually make sure I get the best out of the bunch, and wash them after use...I tried the ones with the gauss-like weave to them, but they fall apart to easily.

T-X

Pinoy3LeR 01-01-2003 07:56 AM

megiuar's liquid form is a lot better and easier to buff off:tup::tup:
FILIPINOSTYLe