Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   window tints and cleaning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/55933-window-tints-cleaning.html)

nucks 09-25-2002 02:20 AM

window tints and cleanign

with tinted windows, wut cleaners are safe to use on the glass? and also is it ok to still use the rear defrost on the back window with tint because of the heat would it mess up the tint? thanks

civicdude 09-25-2002 10:13 AM

Anything without Amonia. I use Spray away.....you can also use clearview...window cleaner...

Mbow 09-25-2002 11:07 AM

Nobody ever listens but I will say it anyways. The best thing to use on tinted windows is a damp terry cloth towel. Unless you have really, really, and I mean nasty, windows, water will clean them up perfectly.

No, the defrost will not affect the tint.

nucks 09-25-2002 03:28 PM

so windex would not be good to use, right?

Mbow 09-25-2002 09:00 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: nucks
so windex would not be good to use, right?[hr]
Not on tint!

RunawaySoul 09-25-2002 09:42 PM

I've had a heavy tint on my last car for years, cleaned them like normal, I didn't notice anything going wrong. Maybe it faded gradually and I didn't notice [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Collective 09-25-2002 10:32 PM

Try Solar Majik ... it's a "silicone" based cleaner. :tup:

Litespeed 09-27-2002 08:38 PM

NO WINDEX! Use something alcohol based. Amonia will help strip the tint off your windows. Also don't use paper towels. They are too rough. Use some lint-free cotton cloths. The rear defrost is perfectly ok to still use. When you first get your windows tinted... keep it on all the time for about a week. It helps adhere the tint to the window better. After about a week though you can stop. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Here is a great product that does wonders for you windows, especially if they're tinted... Griot's Garage I use this stuff on my tinted windows and it works like a charm. :tup:

nucks 09-28-2002 12:11 AM

thanks for all the replies and the reccomendation litespeed, i might have to look into it, i love you guys lol :tup:

windowtint 11-01-2002 11:24 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: Litespeed
NO WINDEX! Use something alcohol based. Amonia will help strip the tint off your windows. Also don't use paper towels. They are too rough. Use some lint-free cotton cloths. The rear defrost is perfectly ok to still use. When you first get your windows tinted... keep it on all the time for about a week. It helps adhere the tint to the window better. After about a week though you can stop. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Here is a great product that does wonders for you windows, especially if they're tinted... <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11108">Gr iot's Garage</a> I use this stuff on my tinted windows and it works like a charm. :tup:[hr]

This is an older comment... but I couldn't leave it alone... everything that is qouted in the above post... DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE!!!!!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]

DO NOT use an alcohol based window cleaner.. that's WORSE than ammonia. Use tap water, it's free and works fine.

Paper towels work fine so long as they are the really cheap rough kind... professional tinters use paper towels all day long.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT turn your defroster on for the first week after getting tint... DO NOT!!!!! You will make the film dry unevenly and thereby making it look wavy and distorted. DO NOT run the defroster... especially for a week straight as soon as you get the tint done. After it dries?!? Run it all you like, nothing wil have happen to the tint because of the lines.