Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   tree sap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/53720-tree-sap.html)

phlipsidez 09-10-2002 12:36 AM

tree sap

What do I use to get tree sap off my car????

StraightEdgeCivic 09-10-2002 12:54 AM

bug & tar remover?

2Hottie 09-10-2002 09:58 AM

Try a clay bar...the only thing that will really get that stuff off your paint without a lot of annoying rubbing & scratching...Clay Magic makes one for about $10...then follow up with some glaze and wax....

2Hottie

Mbow 09-10-2002 02:16 PM

If you have a nice coat of wax on your car, it should just wash right off. My brother has big pine trees that shade is drive and I get sap all over my car everytime I visit. Meg's quick detailer works too.

Mekenna 09-11-2002 02:43 AM

Yeah.. I learned my lesson last year when the sap started falling.. that crap was a pain in the ass to get off of my paint - I didn't have a nice coat of wax on it. Now this year, I make sure I keep it well waxed and it washes right off with only a little extra attention to the spots where the sap is

ZSKCivic01 09-13-2002 11:10 PM

tree sap just comes off with a simple wash. I get it on my car all the time and wash it off as soon as I can. If you leave it on too long, I have noticed, it gets hard and you have to use a claybar to get it off. Just try not to leave it under trees all the time and you'll be ok.

RedRider 09-15-2002 11:13 AM

Living under 50 pine trees with no garage or cover makes one good at removing sap. If regular washing or tar and bug removal products don't remove it I have used rubbing alcohol. After washing, put some rubbing alcohol on the end of a cotton swab and dab at the sap only. Change swabs frequently as sap softens. Then a use a swirl reducer in area and wax.

mkliao 06-10-2003 04:18 PM

what about the sap on windshield glass?...i've tried bug and tar remover...but it didnt work as well as it is on the hood...plz help!...thanks!

RedRider 06-10-2003 07:08 PM

Wet a single-edge razor blade with windex, hold the razor blade at a 30 degree angle to the windsheild and scape off the sap. The windex keeps the blade from scratching the glass

ZSKCivic01 06-11-2003 09:57 AM

I just use a simple wash or instant detailer to remove sap. I get sap all over my blue civic all the time. As for the window, just wash the window too or use windex. You may have to go over the car a few times before it will all come off.

Drifter 06-11-2003 10:22 AM

Go to a detail shop and get them to use some solvent to take it off thats what we used in the detail bay at the Acura dealership I used to work at. A clay bar is used for taking all those little rust spots mainly along the rocker panels that usually come from winter highway driving.

DMX 06-12-2003 10:42 PM

some GooGone!!!

mkliao 06-13-2003 01:27 AM

thanks for all the reply.. :)

damn! i just found out there is also some tree sap on my head lamp!...
how do i remove those sticky stuff from the plastic head lamp cover???
any good suggestion?

JCiv03 12-31-2003 02:34 AM

DAmn sorry to bring up an old topic, but ive been getting tree sap on my car. My advice is not to park under an orange tree during the winter time...

ZSKCivic01 01-20-2004 12:50 AM

Id say that a clay bar will be most effective with removing tree sap. You can wash your car and that will get alot of it off, but only with a clay can you guarantee that it all comes off.