Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Engine Shampoo??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/53046-engine-shampoo.html)

WhopSi 09-05-2002 04:52 PM

Engine Shampoo???

I searched and found nothing, so now I'm asking if it is safe to power wash my engine, cuz for those of you who remember the pic of my engine, well, it desperately needs one, so a simple YES or NO will do just fine.

Thanx, Mike

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] Civic 2.JPG (46 Kb)

dacivic 09-05-2002 05:02 PM

Yes but make sure you cover all electronic wires with plastic bag

and you should ask the guys at the detailing section formu. They can probably give you a full insight on how to DIY.

bobbyd 09-05-2002 05:08 PM

that's an engine? i thought it was just one big pile of dirt. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] yeah, power wash it but on a cold engine never a hot engine!

silverdevil 09-05-2002 06:40 PM

We don't have a distributor so there is nothing to cover. And make sure your engine is cool, not hot. Spray some degreaser on there, let it soak in for a min or two and blast off.

2k1BlackBeautyOwner 09-05-2002 08:28 PM

I just rinse it out first, then I spray on the degreaser, let it sit for a while, then power rinse it.

RunawaySoul 09-05-2002 08:42 PM

First off, clean your engine when it's hot, not cool. You can go to Auto Zone or similar and pick up something called "Engine Detail Kit" It comes with 2 bottles, 1 for cleaning and 1 for detailing. You can spray that stuff anywhere and it makes it shine. My engine is shinier and just as clean as it was the day it left the lot. I use a power spray and I am not afraid to get up close and get the dirt off.

grenloch101056 09-05-2002 09:01 PM

[hr]First off, clean your engine when it's hot, not cool[hr]
thats smart, clean a hot engine with colder water, warped heads never hurt anyone, right?

bobbyd 09-06-2002 01:01 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: RunawaySoul
First off, clean your engine when it's hot, not cool. You can go to Auto Zone or similar and pick up something called "Engine Detail Kit" It comes with 2 bottles, 1 for cleaning and 1 for detailing. You can spray that stuff anywhere and it makes it shine. My engine is shinier and just as clean as it was the day it left the lot. I use a power spray and I am not afraid to get up close and get the dirt off.[hr]

DO NOT listen to this dude. Hot engine + cold water can = cracked block!

silverdevil 09-06-2002 01:13 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: bobbyd

DO NOT listen to this dude. Hot engine + cold water can = cracked block![hr]
Yup, exactly! What dumbass would spray cold water on a hot engine? :_doh:

Grey 09-06-2002 01:23 PM

Moving to Detailing...
Please post in the correct forum next time. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]

JoeyCrack 09-06-2002 01:32 PM

Dude, your engine looks like it's from 1985..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]..........Sorry ,but how the hell did it get like that?

1955 09-06-2002 03:42 PM

good advice from runawaysoul to those who dont know better to run cold water on a hot engine,may be soul had too many budweiser effect on him at the time the statement was made,pls u guys look after him,may be the location hes from explain it all.no offense to anyone,just a presumptive thought.

Mbow 09-06-2002 04:12 PM

I have always power washed my engine. I own a pressure washer and use it somewhat frequently on my cars. There is no need for degreaser or chemical of any sort if you have a strong washer. The pressure will blast everything off. Degreaser will just get blasted all over the outside of the car strippin the wax and can possibly etch itself into the clearcoat.

Just pressure wash it w/o using any degreaser. After that, simply pop the hood every other time you wash the car and go over the engine bay with the car soap.

Also, pressure washing your tires will get them spotless and perfectly prepped for tire dressing.

neoretromax 09-08-2002 11:19 PM

you dont really need a power washer, just a hose, sponge soap and water and some simple green. just make sure to lube up those hoses with some rubber protectant after using the simple green.

RunawaySoul 09-12-2002 05:59 PM

Well dumbass, if you drive 200 miles, your engine will be too hot to spray water on it. I just figured people would assume that. I used to work at a car detailing place, so let me rephrase, if it's warm them you can spray. It's like washing dishes. It cleans better when it's warm. I've never cleaned it that hot. So you all uneducated hicks can get off my back.

vdub 09-12-2002 06:17 PM

If you just go to the hand wash bay they have degresser the there water it hot. So you'r not spaying cold water on a hot engine. It is hot water coming of the the gun in the first place.

RunawaySoul 09-12-2002 08:10 PM

A lot of the bays don't offer engine sprays over here anymore because of all the oil and grease stains. I don't see it, how do you clean your car and not leave dirt somewhere.

neoretromax 09-20-2002 01:06 AM

i thought you were'nt supposed to wash a hot/warm engine because of the water stains it leaves when the water evaporates. anyone else heard this?