Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   removing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/50545-removing.html)

cable 08-19-2002 05:11 PM

removing

if i have a scratch on my car and i can feel it with my fingernail, what's the best way to remove it?

if i do it myself, what's the best method?

if i get it done, how much should it cost around?

thanks!

n00dleboy 08-19-2002 05:14 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: cable
if i have a scratch on my car and i can feel it with my fingernail, what's the best way to remove it?

if i do it myself, what's the best method?

if i get it done, how much should it cost around?

thanks![hr]

If you do it by yourself do it with scratch X or something similar, then wax/polish it after.

If you get it done, it can go from 100-300 depending on where you take it (Canadian prices) as some bodyshots will paint the whole panel rather than just buffing it and repainting it. I'd suggest looking up Colorworks.ca

If you do a search in detailing you'd get more results.

touwseew 08-19-2002 05:51 PM

scratch x works pretty well, but only on small scratches. touch up may work as well.

whowhatwhoa 08-19-2002 07:49 PM

i usually use 3M compound for small minor scratches

Mbow 08-20-2002 03:41 PM

Yep, try the 3m swirl remover and go over and over the scratch till you get down to a very light scratch. Then, put some #7 glaze on it and wax. This assumes the scratch is in the clearcoat of course.

cable 08-21-2002 12:42 PM

i think its still in the clearcoat...

but i can feel it with my fingernail...

does that matter?

thanks...i'll try it out...

Mbow 08-21-2002 09:10 PM

As long as the bare medal isn't exposed you can make it look a lot better. I tend to not attempt getting rid of scratches completely as I am afraid of taking off too much clearcoat or getting down to the paint. You can use the 3m swirl remover to get it down to a light scratch. The #7 glaze and gold wax will pretty much hide the light stuff.

2Hottie 08-22-2002 09:07 AM

Also, if the scratch is deep and requires touch up, don't use the brush that comes with the touch up bottle..instead, use a very fine toothpick, dab on a very small amount of touch up on the tip of the toothpick and just put it on the scratch lightly..thicken up the coats to match the surround thickness of the paint & keep it level...

2Hottie

cable 08-23-2002 09:36 AM

its a pretty long scratch though...its like someones shopping cart went against my car, but the metal isnt exposed.

thanks a lot though, i'll try it out.

2Hottie 08-24-2002 09:14 PM

Yeah, if you can't see the metal, you are in better shape...if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it won't be easily removed by using waxes and stuff...

2Hottie

cable 08-27-2002 08:25 AM

what do you recommend a good solution would be, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail?