Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   major waterspots (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/42741-major-waterspots.html)

dragoon 06-27-2002 11:43 PM

major waterspots

a friend of mine has some major waterspots on his 94 accord - 8 years of non-waxing! is there anything he can do about it?

NickDaMans02Civic 06-28-2002 01:07 AM

How could someone never wax their car in 8 years, I am wondering how bad the paint looks? Did someone else own it for 8 years and he just got it?

Nick

Mbow 06-28-2002 02:52 AM

It depends on how far the minerals and such have etched down into the paint. It may be able to be buffed out. It would take a professional for sure. If its been 8 years, someone is going to have a lot of work on their hands.

civicdude 06-28-2002 08:51 AM

Drive it down to Ny and bring it to me....I love a challenge....If regular machine polishing doesnt remove the water spots and the major oxidation the car must have after 8 years of not waxing, the car may need to be wet sanded and then polished. If I was you or your friend, I would bring the car to a professional detailer in your area. Someone that could tell you for sure if the paint could be saved.

dragoon 06-28-2002 01:32 PM

LOL, it looks horrible, actually. and his car's gold, so it just makes it look even more funny. he's even got water marks on his windows [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

mister car wash is gonna charge him $100 to get it buffed out. and nick, yeah his dad owned it and his other car is a porsche, so obviously the porsche got the garage, the wax, the washing, etc.

oh, and the power steering's almost out, the alternator had to get replaced, etc. nothing like getting a lemon from your own dad

jro 06-28-2002 08:20 PM

my dad has a ten-year-old red range rover. he has *never* waxed that thing. to make things worse, he's parked it outside in phoenix, az for the since 1995! he gave me forty bux to try to get it looking 'red' again and not 'orange'. i spent two days polishing, waxing, etc. i used some polish formulated for red paint jobs--it worked quite well. it got rid of most of the oxidation and embedded waterspots. it's actually semi-shiny red now! i should have asked for more than $40.
-jro

neoretromax 06-28-2002 09:06 PM

100 bucks sounds like a good deal for 8 years of neglect.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-29-2002 02:15 AM

Ugg Phoenix in the sun I lived there for 2 years even with wax my paint got faded that place sucks down there over all IN-N-OUT is the only good thing there :tup: That heat just drives me insane down there [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Nick

civicdude 06-29-2002 06:59 AM

You gotta keep your car garaged 24 hours a day over there...lol.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-29-2002 05:42 PM

I know I hear you there its like UV 10+ here now I have like a week or less and I am out of here thank goodness. Yeah my car is in the garage but I don't go out till like after 4 pm saves that paint :tup: Only ok thing is its all dust so no mud really to get on your car, but dust storms can really mess up some stuff

Nick