Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   dealership undercoat on rims wtf (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/42016-dealership-undercoat-rims-wtf.html)

neoretromax 06-23-2002 02:32 AM

factory overspray on rims

today i was real bored, so i took out my jackstand and took off each wheel and cleaned the inside of the rims. low and behold to my shock and dismay i found clumps and chunks of undercoating on the inside of my rims. now it wasnt just a little, it was a lot, and on every rim too. so i got the old clay bar out and that didn't work. so i called up the dealership and bitched, so now they're gonna clean it off somehow. they also got undercoating on the underside of the hood and on the shock towers, pretty much everywhere except the outside paint. anyone know how to clean this undercoating off of the paint? it's been on for about a year, and was done at the dealership a few days after i bought it, part of the "protection package". i knew the overspray was in the engine in spots but i would have thought they'd have enough common sense to cover up the wheels. they better get those rims spotless or im requesting new ones.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/civ0114whl.jpg
^my rims 14"

2Hottie 06-23-2002 11:43 AM

Did ya try some Goo Gone?? That stuff pretty much gets off everything...

2Hottie

neoretromax 06-24-2002 12:58 AM

no ive tried that on undercoating overspray under the hood before, it doesnt do anything for it.

2Hottie 06-24-2002 11:09 AM

My only other suggestion would be to scrape off the gooey chunks with a razorblade, at least you will ge the bigger chunks off...

2Hottie

neoretromax 06-24-2002 09:31 PM

yes i thought about that but there is a lot of overspray and would take a long time. i have a appointment this thursday to have the detailers at the dealership fix it. they made the mess, so they can clean it up.

2Hottie 06-25-2002 10:45 AM

Yeah, let them worry about their screw up, that sounds like the best option right now!

2Hottie

tummyboy 06-25-2002 10:36 PM

well there shold be stuff under the hood and ont the strut towers but it should not be black it should be like a tan in color . as far as your rims that BS man I would tell them that cleaning is not suffeciant and that you want them replaced because there being very careless with undercoating . there is a proper and non-proper way to undercoat and well I think we know what they did here

neoretromax 06-25-2002 10:44 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: tummyboy
well there shold be stuff under the hood and ont the strut towers but it should not be black it should be like a tan in color . as far as your rims that BS man I would tell them that cleaning is not suffeciant and that you want them replaced because there being very careless with undercoating . there is a proper and non-proper way to undercoat and well I think we know what they did here[hr]
its on the paint underneath the hood and on the paint on the side of the shock towers inside engine bay and its black. but yeah on the wheels you read my mind, im a stickler for detail and if they mess them up, ill get new ones, but i'll give the dealership a chance to correct themselves, cause they're nice.

tummyboy 06-26-2002 07:09 PM

yeah it should be on the paint but not black. thats the wrong stuff they used I used to install enviro packages for auto armor . and they use a tan product that works really well

neoretromax 06-27-2002 08:55 PM

well i took it in today and they got all the excess undercoat off of the wheels and underneath the hood. score 1 for my dealership!

Ronin 07-03-2002 02:33 PM

How the heck did they manage to get undercoating on the underside of the hood??

As for undercoating itself, it may eventually be more harmful to your car, since the rubber will crack with age, and the moisture that seeps in will be trapped in between the coating and the underside of your car... accelerating rust formation.

Not a lot of people get that treatment done anymore.

Tarik 07-18-2002 08:35 PM

i do.

neoretromax 07-24-2002 03:13 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Ronin
How the heck did they manage to get undercoating on the underside of the hood??

As for undercoating itself, it may eventually be more harmful to your car, since the rubber will crack with age, and the moisture that seeps in will be trapped in between the coating and the underside of your car... accelerating rust formation.

Not a lot of people get that treatment done anymore.[hr]

cause they were lazy

i dont know where you heard that bunk about the undercoat but its not true. as long as the undercarriage is clean and dry at the time of application it will be fine. the dealership applied the coating too so its warrantied.