Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Fog on glass! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/41556-fog-glass.html)

KnightRider2k2 06-19-2002 09:11 PM

Fog on glass!

does anyone else have a problem with what looks like fog on the inside of the rear window? i clean it off and then a day later it comes right back. anyone kno how to get rid of this crap??

bake 06-19-2002 09:41 PM

i get that on the front window, the back is tinted so i can't really tell

vandal 06-19-2002 10:41 PM

yeah i have that too, its a pain, i dont know what takes it off either, i also have like 2 or 3 little circles that dont come off the back window either. it looks like something from the factory, i saw it on another 7thgen in a parking lot the other day, too.

erikku 06-19-2002 11:14 PM

try go to walmart and get some "fog X wipe"

wipe it on the interior windows every week.....it works great...i dun have the fog anymore even in a rainny day!

Remember, dun get the fog X spray or anything besides wipes...it's ready to use...and it will make your life a lot easier becuase if you get the spray and spray too much...u gonna have a bad time.....wipe eliminates this problem ^_^

VNlilMAN 06-20-2002 01:16 AM

ya it happens to my side mirrors too for some odd reason

civichic 06-20-2002 02:19 AM

yeah I get that too n didn't know what to do about it

taz757 06-20-2002 01:28 PM

I've noticed it on the insides of my windows too. I don't know if it has anything to do with what I'm using to clean the glass off with. I've used Windex and Honda Glass cleaner (stuff that they use in the detail dept) and it still comes back within a week. I have no clue as to what's causing it other than it may have something to do with the plastics in the car giving off some kind of vapor that's sticking to the windows. That's the only thing I can think of. When I get my car serviced I'm going to ask about it.

civicdude 06-20-2002 04:00 PM

I used to get that all the time when I first got my car. After cleaning it a few times with glass cleaner, I didnt get it anymore. Thankgod now I have tinted windows...you can never tell if the window is foggy.

VNlilMAN 06-20-2002 07:42 PM

i have tinted windows too but you could still see it at some angles... like when i pull out of my garage in the morning... civicdude, what kind of glass cleaner do you use? stoner's invisble glass or whatever?

civicdude 06-21-2002 11:45 AM

I use Spray Away....in an aerosol can. Anything aerosol that is non streaking I use.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-23-2002 06:42 AM

Yeah, I noticed that a lot in phoenix with the heat all of my cars like the sun would just bake the dash and there would be fog on there still happens in my 2k1 but oh well.

Nick

Civey 06-25-2002 02:13 PM

my windows fog up for many reasons but the one i cant explain is the one where it fogs up when you are driving down the street in cool weather. Does that x-fog really work? or is this a defect in the glass?!!!!?

djmota 06-25-2002 03:36 PM

My 2001 has those circle thingies too. I got them to go away with glass cleaner and alot of elbow grease. It took a few months before they went away for good. They come from the suction cups that the manufaturer use to hold the glass on installaition. I'm still working on the fog stuff. I really hate cleaning the inside of my back window. :_please:

Fructose 06-25-2002 09:50 PM

Using rubbing alcahol works a lot of the times. It should perfectly clean your windows and leae nothing for water to condense on. I had that problem before and the alcahol worked really well.

VNlilMAN 06-25-2002 10:12 PM

is alchohol badd for tint?

Civey 06-26-2002 10:23 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Fructose
Using rubbing alcahol works a lot of the times. It should perfectly clean your windows and leae nothing for water to condense on. I had that problem before and the alcahol worked really well.[hr]
Does it eventully come back because that is really pisssing me off.

neocivicracer 06-26-2002 01:52 PM

that' happens to all cars not just the 7th gen. use some anti-fog or glass cleaner regularly

vandal 06-26-2002 09:11 PM

yeah i wouldnt use rubbing alcohol on my tint. stick to whatever has the least additives!

xHoteKx 06-27-2002 09:32 AM

my old car hardly ever fogged up.. but my civic fogs up every nite for the past few months. from my logical guess, im thinking it's because the air is alot more humid than when it was back in winter/spring. i duno.. but wish it would go away

Civey 06-28-2002 12:35 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: xHoteKx
my old car hardly ever fogged up.. but my civic fogs up every nite for the past few months. from my logical guess, im thinking it's because the air is alot more humid than when it was back in winter/spring. i duno.. but wish it would go away[hr]
Yeah my civic fogs up like a motha. It pisses me off. I used to drive and Integra GSR and that never, never fogged up on me. I think it is a defect

taz757 06-28-2002 02:25 PM

Actually, the fog that you guys are talking about is an actual haze that is building up on the inside of the windows. I think a few of us here have come to the conculsion that the plastic in the car, along with the protectant that your dealer used, is giving this off and it's sticking to the windows. All you can really do is wipe your windows down about once every couple of weeks to get it off. I don't think anybody has found a way to get it off and keep it off.

/taz757

RevHigh 07-02-2002 05:07 AM

Try not to let things get too steamy in yer cars! j/k, but what Taz757 said really does have A LOT of truth to it.

civicdeveloper 07-02-2002 11:32 AM

believe it or not, it also can be caused by more stuff than what taz757 says. your A/C causes some of the fogging, almost like a residue in the air from the compressor. also, smoking can fog the glass, even if you smoke with the windoes down.

NickDaMans02Civic 07-02-2002 08:34 PM

Yeah I saw a lady today in a New GS 300 windows down smoking going up the 101 I was all come on give me that car if that is how you are going to treat it. But yeah I noticed when I used to smoke in my last ride that the fog would cloud up also

Nick

futurersxswap 07-04-2002 11:31 AM

that ish sux.... gotta try that fog-x stuff or whatever its called....

black2k1vtec 07-04-2002 07:28 PM

ya, mine get real hazey in the hot weather. i hate cleaning the back window.

merz 07-13-2002 10:43 AM

I agree that alot of the fogging is due to outgassing of the plastics - and it will be worse in the heat.

A cheap trick to get inside windows real clear/clean is to wipe with crumpled up black & white newspaper - it's a very old method and works.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/old_attac...rz_banner3.jpg

SQCivic 07-14-2002 10:10 AM

I posted about this a long time ago but cannot find it. The haze is indeed coming from the factory protectorant on the interior when it gets hot inside the car. The best way to prevent this is to use a mixture of Woolite & water and wash down the interior panels. Then re-apply a non-silicone based protectorant (not Armour-All). I use a product call 303. To remove the haze off the windows you can use a glass "polish" to get it all the first time. I used this method over a year ago and have not had a single problem since.

Niter1dah 07-27-2002 11:23 AM

Hehe thoes suction cup things look like the bottom of a big powerade bottle. Anyhow, ive kept trying to clean my back windows and they wouldent go away... thoes suction cup marks would be the first things to show up after I cleaned my glass. I spent like an hour on my back window yesterday trying to get the things out [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] Its not exactly easy cleaning the bottom portion of the glass, and the area around the brake light is impossible.

K@mik@ze 04-15-2003 04:20 PM

Careful with the newspaper while cleaning your windows!!

Originally posted by merz
I agree that alot of the fogging is due to outgassing of the plastics - and it will be worse in the heat.

A cheap trick to get inside windows real clear/clean is to wipe with crumpled up black & white newspaper - it's a very old method and works.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/old_attac...rz_banner3.jpg

Hey everyone!:D I, too, have this "fogging" thing going on with my rear window. I agree that it must be from the plastics. It can't be from the A/C system, onless you have a leak in your evaporator, in which case it still shouldn't "fog up " windows. The A/C REMOVES moisture in the air, "conditioning" it. That is why the A/C turns on when you use the "defrost" setting. (If you don't believe me, then check to see if your A/C radiator fan comes on when you use the defrost.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling. Back to what I REEEAAALLLY wanted to say.:_doh: I have a 2003 HX Eternal Blue Pearl with Ivory interior, and when I used newspaper to clean the windows, it stained the plastic trim pieces where it touched them. I can't get the black smudge marks out no matter what I use. It's like it soaked into the plastic. This has never happened before and it SUX!! Any suggestions on how to get it out? I ahve used everything short of degreaser.:hithead: