Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Nose Mask question??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/40925-nose-mask-question.html)

fraga 06-15-2002 11:18 PM

Nose Mask question???

Hey guys and girls...what do you recommend I wipe on that thing to protect it and make it all nice and shiney. Oh yeah, I did a search for mask and nada so just answer the fawkin question. :)

neoretromax 06-16-2002 12:49 AM

vinyl protectant. black magic, or pretty much any other protectant will do.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-16-2002 12:54 AM

Yeah that would work the best I have never put anything on mine just wash it every once in awhile. Hate what its doing to my hood though before I noticed the paint faded. Oh well next year I will send it in to get painted.

Nick

fraga 06-16-2002 11:40 AM

Do you guys leave them on all the time. I was thinking of alternating. One week on and one week off.

VTEC01EX 06-16-2002 02:37 PM

I only put mine on when I do long stretches of driving on the highway, which seems to be where bugs and rock chips are the worst. Whenever my car sits or I'm just doing around town stuff, I always take it off.

Mbow 06-16-2002 02:47 PM

Yea, I have been thinking about getting one just for road trips. I never really notice anything when washing the car after driving around town. However, after a roadtrip, I usually spot a chip or 2.

fraga 06-16-2002 07:17 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: NickDaMans02Civic
Yeah that would work the best I have never put anything on mine just wash it every once in awhile. Hate what its doing to my hood though before I noticed the paint faded. Oh well next year I will send it in to get painted.

Nick[hr]
Aww crap. My paint is going to fade. How badly. I have a black car and I guess you'll probably be able to tell even more. I knew it would fade a little but now I'm concerned after reading this.

neoretromax 06-16-2002 07:39 PM

i'd recommend taking it off every time you wash it, and like everyone else said, leave it off unless your'e on a road trip, or you drive on the freeway a lot in inclement weather.

fraga 06-16-2002 09:12 PM

The thing is, I drive on the Highway to work and back every week. I really don't go anywhere else except to the store and stuff, so it's on like all the time. Any suggestions.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-17-2002 07:54 AM

Yeah I didn't take my bra off the first 5K miles and then I went to take it off and I noticed spots on the top bra. It was from washing my car and the water sat there and got hot and faded the paint. With living in AZ its all sand and rocks. For highway driving I would leave a bra on thats where I have found on other cars where the chips happen. But around town I have been just leaving it off, yeah if it rains or something a lot I wouldn't recommend keeping the bra its just like when you wash the car the water gets under the bra. But with moving back to Oregon I won't be having my bra on much since it rains so much, but yeah I am going to save up some cash and have those spots on my hood worked out, they are fugly when you can see them at a angle.

Nick

civicdude 06-17-2002 12:05 PM

I was waiting for someone to ask about how to treat your nose mask. First off dont ever apply any of those dressings to the bra. It actually doesnt help the material it makes it less water proof, and it will dry out and crack after a while. Just make sure you wash the bra every few months. Also taking the bra off while you are washing the car is always smart. There can be an accumulation of dirt under the bra and if you wash it with the bra on, you could be wiping the dirt into the paint which will give you scratches. When I had a bra on one of my older cars, I always made sure I put a good coat of wax on underneath the bra. You want to protect the paint really well under the bra. If you do not wax under there, the paint will get dull and start to blotch. Just make sure you wax under there once a month and you will be fine.

2Hottie 06-17-2002 12:21 PM

I leave mine one to drive all the time, had a bad expereince with my last car where a huge rock came up and hit the front part of the hood, leaving a huge scratch and dent, the bra just covered it all up...frequently wash it, take it off when washing, dry with a chamois, works like a charm!

2Hottie

fraga 06-17-2002 06:00 PM

Thanks guys and gals. Your help is much appreciated.

-Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

NickDaMans02Civic 06-17-2002 08:47 PM

Hey Civicdude how can I get those spots on my hood fixed? Will they have to repaint the whole hood area? If so am I better of waiting for another year when I see more rock chips and just have them do the whole front area?

Nick

civicdude 06-17-2002 11:48 PM

If you cant either wet sand them or polish them out then they will have to be painted. If you can take a picture of them and ill tell you if they will come out...or try to tell you.

NickDaMans02Civic 06-23-2002 06:46 AM

ok should be getting a digital camera here really soon and I will hook you up with a photo.

Nick