Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   OK RULES OF COMPOUND (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/40805-ok-rules-compound.html)

slammed2k2 06-14-2002 08:47 PM

OK RULES OF COMPOUND

There aren't too many!
its very simple...
1)make sure it is safe for clearcoats
2)use a very soft rag, do not use a terry towel or a shop cloth, those Will 100% f*ck up your paint/clearcoat
3)do it very gently, smoothly and in the same direction
4)then wipe off with a very soft cloth as well,
5)you have to, i mean you have to use a wax after in that spot, coz compound doesnt leave such a nice gloss behind!
but have no fear --- WAX IS HERE!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

wishihadavtec 06-14-2002 10:41 PM

thank you so much mr obvious

2Hottie 06-17-2002 12:32 PM

Sweet dude, I have to keep that in mind, I have some light scratches to get out on the car...

2Hottie

civicdude 06-17-2002 01:52 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: slammedcivic
There aren't too many!
its very simple...
2)use a very soft rag, do not use a terry towel or a shop cloth, those Will 100% f*ck up your paint/clearcoat
5)you have to, i mean you have to use a wax after in that spot, coz compound doesnt leave such a nice gloss behind!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
WOW welcome to the forum....This has been posted many many times before. I have a few corrections for you though.
#2 You said to use a very soft rag, but dont use a terry towel or a shop cloth. I agree that a shop cloth shouldnt be used because that will scratch the surface but I do not agree with not using a terry towel. As long as the terry towel is soft and clean then you can use it on your paint. Terry towel will not mess up your paint or your clearcoat.
#3 you said to do it very gently, I do not agree with this either. If you are compounding the paint by hand, you should rub the compound into the paint good to remove the oxidation or light scratches that you are trying to remove. If you do it lightly then you will be doing nothing.
#4 you said to wax after because wax will bring back the gloss. You are close but you forgot a step. After you wipe off the compound, your next step should be to glaze the spot. I recommend using 3M hand Glaze or Meguires #26 glaze. Rub it in, using a back and forth motion, and then wipe it off. After you get the desired brilliance back in your paint, you can finish it off with wax. Make sure you use a regular carnuba wax, and not a cleaner wax. Cleaner wax will remove the glaze and basically not get the paint as glossy as it would be if you used a carnuba wax.

2Hottie 06-17-2002 02:50 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: civicdude

[hr]Originally posted by: slammedcivic
There aren't too many!
its very simple...
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
WOW welcome to the forum....This has been posted many many times before. I have a few corrections for you though.
#2 You said to use a very soft rag, but dont use a terry towel or a shop cloth. I agree that a shop cloth shouldnt be used because that will scratch the surface but I do not agree with not using a terry towel. As long as the terry towel is soft and clean then you can use it on your paint. Terry towel will not mess up your paint or your clearcoat.
#3 you said to do it very gently, I do not agree with this either. If you are compounding the paint by hand, you should rub the compound into the paint good to remove the oxidation or light scratches that you are trying to remove. If you do it lightly then you will be doing nothing.
#4 you said to wax after because wax will bring back the gloss. You are close but you forgot a step. After you wipe off the compound, your next step should be to glaze the spot. I recommend using 3M hand Glaze or Meguires #26 glaze. Rub it in, using a back and forth motion, and then wipe it off. After you get the desired brilliance back in your paint, you can finish it off with wax. Make sure you use a regular carnuba wax, and not a cleaner wax. Cleaner wax will remove the glaze and basically not get the paint as glossy as it would be if you used a carnuba wax.[hr]

Damn, that's even better!