Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Small and Quick Detailing Tip (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/39747-small-quick-detailing-tip.html)

2Hottie 06-08-2002 07:33 PM

Small and Quick Detailing Tip

I am sure this has been glossed over in here before...but I wanted to share 2 detailing tips with everyone for giving the car that "extra" touch when detailing:

1. Use Q-tips for getting the dirt and wax flakes out of your window beads/trim...just wedge the Q-tip in the window beads or window trim and drag it along...you will be amazed at the amount of the dirt that will come out of there!

2. Cleaning the rear window: I took a rigid piece of cardboard, wrapped a paper towel around it and shoved that sucker in the hard to reach crevice, dragged it along the length of the window...did the same thing with a dry towel to dry up...

2Hottie

neoretromax 06-09-2002 02:52 AM

hey thats some good stuff. here's one back at ya: use laquer thinner to remove scuff marks on door panels and door sills.

2Hottie 06-09-2002 11:17 AM

Sweet dude! I have to try that one because I have a scuff mark on my back bumper! Thanks!

civicdude 06-09-2002 05:48 PM

Rubbing compound to remove tiny shoe scuffs from the interior plastic of your door and jam. Dont put that much on. Make sure that it is not too gritty of a compound. I use 3M rubbing compound.

2Hottie 06-09-2002 10:17 PM

Thats awesome Civicdude, I have so many from scraping the door with my shoes when getting out...Thanks!

2Hottie

2Hottie 06-09-2002 10:19 PM

Sorry dude, I'm retarded, I misread the reply to my original message...but no doubt, that will still work for my door jambs and door panels...

Soulphire 06-10-2002 03:50 PM

Another Detailing tip:

When cleaning your windows. Use newspaper instead of Paper Towels, it leaves no streaks at all.

DCivicEX 06-10-2002 05:42 PM

some good tips. thanks!

2Hottie 06-10-2002 07:52 PM

Sweet guys, thats awesome, thanks! I have been trying to get a streak free shine on my windows since I had the car...I have to try that....

2Hottie

TwilightX 06-11-2002 11:58 AM

If you have a lot of time, I cover my trim pieces with the blue tape before waxing the entire car...the wax stays out, and you don't spend hours trying to take out the dried wax from those tiny seams...

T-X

civicdude 06-11-2002 02:01 PM

Instead of using Newspapers on your windows, I just make the final wipe on my windows with a very fine MICRO FIBER towel and this removes all streaks that the glass cleaner and the first towel left. I also use the MICROFIBER towel as my final wipe after I remove the wax. It removes the haze and any wax that might of been left behind.

CIVICMAN67 06-12-2002 01:07 AM

Wow, i like the tip on the hard to reach areas on cleaning the back window! thanks!

darkside420 06-12-2002 08:21 PM

Nice tips....thanks for the cardboard idea !!!

my tip of advice it to use saddle soap for interior plastic and vinyl areas. I couple old mechanic's that i know and love there older cars suggest this. It is a protectant for leather saddles so I might give it a try!! be brave [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Has anyone tried this before??

l8r
darkside420

DrJEKYLL007 06-13-2002 02:55 AM

Yeah, what is the deal with our shoes scraping the inside of our doors? Have you noticed that the default indent where the car door opens is just a hair too small, but if you swing it open all the way, you will slam into the car next to you, so I am always scraping my foot on the dang door! And not just me, but my passengers too! and that pisses me off because it's different when I do it, but hey- show some love! Know what I mean.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

2Hottie 06-13-2002 11:13 AM

See, I totally agree with you guys cuz I am anal about my interior like that...I could see how saddle soap might work, I have used that on my Doc Martens and they take the scuff marks out, why not on interior door panels?? I gotta try that now...

2Hottie

2Hottie 06-14-2002 06:59 PM

Another one I forgot to add to this thread...

When washing your windows (exterior only), spray on some glass cleaner and use some steel wool (careful not to drop that on your paint!) and use the steel wool to wipe down the windows...doesn't hurt the window @ all, and gets the stubborn bug stains and stuff off the windows....use a paper towel or newspapers to dry up when done...

2Hottie

slammed2k2 06-14-2002 08:18 PM

I do detailing, and those are some pretty good tips guys!!!!
THanks